Constant crashing 422gw

Tommyhawkes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Since the recent firmware update has anyone had issues with their 422gw keep crashing? It's becoming an absolute pain for me...

I commute a steady distance to and from work and I want a dash cam that's reliable and it's becoming more and more apparent that the 422gw is letting me down. Some times, I'm half way to work and I notice that its crashed at some point along the way? Some times I get out of the car and I hear the shut down jingle stuck in a judder because its crashed again. These days, I dont even press the reset anymore and just walk away...

Not only that but I've noticed a distinct lag between video clips that are recorded, about 5 seconds or so between clips set at 60 secs. About the same time it could take to have a car crash...

I've read on other forums that it could because of certain SD card brands that cause the crashing and lagging? But I'm running a top class 10 U3 card. My GoPro Hero 7 isnt as picky and it records at a higher frame rate and quality than the dash cam for god sake?

The very idea of a dash cam is to have ot running in the background for peace of mind. These days I have to carry a sim card pick on my dash to poke the reset button. Looking for answers and inspiration. Any one else experience this?

I've not experienced anything like that, though I tend to travel short distanes anyway. I have had one occasion where no gps data was recorded for an entire day though - I suspect it may be due to the mount design.

If you want to experiment with the SD card, mine is using a 'Transcend UHS-I microSD 300S 128GB' and appears to be working fine ***I've only had it for a week or so***

Quite honestly I'm very disappointed overall with this camera. I'm currently using it until I can replace it with something better.

@Zinc yeah tbh I thought it wasnt too bad when I first bought it, it wasnt performing the same way it is now. I upgraded from one which was a fraction of the price. But I'm sorry recently to say the price tag doesnt reflect the quality for me. The app is absolute garbage and works when it wants and when it does want, it's extremely slow and clunky. The G sensor is extremely sensitive, even on the lowest setting. Every speed bump, every tihht corner, every pothole sensor off. I find I'm constantly having to format my SD card!

I had the gapping between videos too, I found it much worse on longer videos so make sure you're on the shortest setting.

All that nextbase had to say is memory card blah blah. Couldn't have been less helpful and just trying to force you to buy their overpriced cards whilst providing zero support for their products. I had this issue with 2 different compatible cards then lost interest in trying to resolve it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've updated recently via the next base app mines been OK at the moment. I'm also disappointed with the dash cam as the battery life is awful... I have to take it out of my works van every 2-3 days to charge it. Its on charge during the day but when I unplug from The USB point it indicates the battery is almost flat! Should of saved my hard earned money & kept my trustworthy 412gw!

@Tony lovelock I have also noticed this. I commute around an hour each way a day. I also travel to middlesborough every other weekend. After driving for a few hours you'd think it would hold its charge but it actually struggles. Not only that but I've noticed when it's at low charge and plugged in, I tend to get the slow SD write speed and to change the SD card and/or SD card error. I take it put and plug it to the mains for a few hours and hey presto, all of a sudden it gets along with the SD card. Very unstable piece of equipment. I wouldn't recommend them after buying one.

A part of me thinks that next base have rushed these models for the series 2 too soon, shame as they have potential of being decent dash cams

Hi @Tommyhawkes.

Between the 'jingle' noise (what we'd call the Card Alarm) and the gaps between recorded footage you're experiencing, I would definitely say that you're having SD Card issues rather than a Dash Cam problem.

The three main questions I'd have to start with would be: Do you regular reformat the card? How long have you had the card for? What brand of card is it?

Any drop/fluctuation in write speed within the SD card causes the Dash Cam footage to buffer, and in some cases will stop the recording entirely. This is what you're experiencing with the gaps in your footage. Our Nextbase SD card controller and Firmware on our SD cards achieve the requirements from our Dash Cam, where other SD cards cannot, as they have a higher ability to maintain a high write speed consistently. Due to the continuous recording and overwriting of the card, the SD card needs to be a 'high-endurance' card, otherwise the card may develop faults after a period of time; if a lower-capability card is used, certain features on the camera will not fully function due to being unable to re-write and record. We would recommend one of our own U3 cards, as they are specially designed to fully function throughout continuous over-writing, but we also suggest alternative compatible cards, such as the SanDisk High Endurance U3 128GB. Our cameras are relatively fussy, but we find that using a better spec card provides more consistent recording performance.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07NY23WBG
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07QBPHGHX
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi @NextBase Support ,

Sorry for the late response, didn't get the notification. I actually have bought one of your next base branded cards and can confirm that there is generally little difference to the 64gb sandisk U3 high endurance card I had in the first place. The recording gaps, while happening less regular than before, still occur.

The recording gaps can sometimes span for up to about 8 seconds - plenty of time for a crash to occur...This doesn't look good for the camera.

As stated previously, I think the main issue is power getting to the unit. The longer the camera runs for, the more sluggish the write speed, the shorter the clips and the more the gaps occur.

Since I last made comment on this thread, almost a year has gone by and I can honestly say, things haven't adequately improved to the point of being satisfactorily impressed.

I appreciate (and have experienced) that your cameras are fussy when it comes to SD cards. This must be the third one I have used with the camera and all (inclusive of the nextbase card) - sadly, haven't hit the mark. People generally require solid, uninterrupted recording as a minimum when considering a dash cam. They also want a camera that they can set up once and literally forget that its there. This is a little hard to do when you have to constantly avert your gaze to check if its recording or listening to the chime go off every other minute, because its either stopped recording or crashed; not to mention unsafe.

I am a year later and I too, find the nextbase product (422gw with rear view camera) is just "so so" given the fact that I experience similar crashing when the unit is exposed to sunlight and heat. I think I am one of the first ones who bought the product in Toronto back when it was first introduced in July 2019 from Best Buy. When it works, the picture is clear. But given that the unit sits near the rear view mirror, it will always get exposed to the sunlight. During the summer months, the temperature can vary from 25 degrees - 32 degrees (and humid). After some direct sunlight, the screen would turn off and the red light comes on. The only way to fix this is use a pin and reset. Then it's fine again. This only happens during the summer when there is heat and direct sunlight hitting the unit. I have tried two different memory cards (nextbase and sandisk extreme plus) formatted. As well as tried different firmware. The result is exactly the same. So when it gets this hot and the sun hits it, I do not use it. There is obviously a flaw in the unit design. Otherwise, any other time of the year, the unit works.

Hello,

Please see my response to your comments on your separate thread:

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C 422GW 1
J 422GW 14
Back