Constant power - parking mode

stian

Reaction score
Country
Norway
If I connect using the ODBII port as a power source, how would that impact parking mode? Would the camera detect that the car is off and engage parking mode? Does parking mode engage after standing still for a while regardless?

All in all I'm confused by the parking mode situation. What setup is necessary to best catch people who scratch you up when parked and just drive off?

Just to exclude any misunderstanding:

1. You are using 3 wire hardwire kit.
2. You have connected ACC (usually yellow) wire to any acessory which is powered only after ignition (car is on) (cig outlet, power oulet, etc)
3. You have connected Battery+ (usually red) to any hot curcuit (you said OSBII).

Camera will detect that it was cut off from power source when it will lose connection from ACC wire (car will be off) and switch to parking mode.
You need to set parking mode first (but only once) - Timelapse, Low bitrate, Motion Detection - I've set mine to Motion Detection - it records chunks of 45 sec videos when it detects any movement.
I will try to turn it off to test if it will record something while car is off and only G-sensor is active. 45 sec video is ~50Mb.
You can easily check it yourself by turning off the car, exiting the car, closing the door and waiting for about 1 min for cam to stop recording (REC button will start flashing instead of steady red light - obviously if there is nothing in front of it).

UPD: By the way, you can detect videos recorded in parking mode by letter P present at the end of file name.

Last edited:
If I connect using the ODBII port as a power source, how would that impact parking mode? Would the camera detect that the car is off and engage parking mode? Does parking mode engage after standing still for a while regardless?
Yes, the A119 V3 will automatically switch to the parking mode after some time standing.
I set the Low Bitrate Recording option in Parking Mode. After one minute (58 sec) of standing, Dashcam switched to Parking Mode

normal recording mode . . . . . . . . . . low bitrate parking mode
resolution 2560x1440 . . . . . . . . . . . 2560x1440
average bitrate 25840 Kbps . . . . . . 3768 Kbps
file duration 58 sec . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 min 0 sec
file size 185772 KB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30523 KB

firmware A119 V3: V1.00 Build: 20190520

Perhaps you should try to turn on the recording mode with a Low Bitrate in Parking Mode, the recording will be kept constantly and the sound too

Update the firmware to V1.02 will probably fix most if not all of your problems. It's available at Viofo's web site.

Yes, the A119 V3 will automatically switch to the parking mode after some time standing.
I set the Low Bitrate Recording option in Parking Mode. After one minute (58 sec) of standing, Dashcam switched to Parking Mode

normal recording mode . . . . . . . . . . low bitrate parking mode
resolution 2560x1440 . . . . . . . . . . . 2560x1440
average bitrate 25840 Kbps . . . . . . 3768 Kbps
file duration 58 sec . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 min 0 sec
file size 185772 KB . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30523 KB

firmware A119 V3: V1.00 Build: 20190520

Perhaps you should try to turn on the recording mode with a Low Bitrate in Parking Mode, the recording will be kept constantly and the sound too

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Hoping the camera arrives soon. If somebody decides to key our entire car again, hopefully, they won't get away with it.

Assuming keying produces enough movement to start recording ?

Assuming keying produces enough movement to start recording ?

If that person is stupid enough to walk in camera FOV after keying - it will capture it.
Is keying enough to trigger G sensor? I doubt that, except that if that person trying to split your car in half with the key, but I need to try to check that.

Back