Continuous WiFi Connection for Cloud Features

patdab

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Cobra CDR895D
Hey Everybody- new to the forum looking for some advice...

I am interested in the BlackVue DR750S mainly for the cloud connectivity features during parking mode but have not purchased yet. I was hoping I could get some feedback on how users are accessing the cloud features on the DR750S in different parking situations.

Easiest ways I see using the cloud features would be by connecting it to my home wifi network when parked at home and work wifi network while at work, and maybe my mobile hot spot from my phone when I am actually driving. For most other parking situations it seems like the only option would be to have a dedicated wifi hotspot in my car to access live view of my camera whenever I wanted. That means additional hardware + monthly data plan to be able to access these features on-the-go.

What's the best solution you have seen to be able to use the cloud functionality everywhere? It seems like it could get pricey pretty quick to be able to have access to these features 24/7.

Last edited:
I think the Cloud will not match you desire.
Each day you have only 10 minutes of Live Video for free, adding some time each day will be fast very expensive.

I suggest you buy an IP Wifi Camera (same for your house) and you will be able to watch video all the day for free.
You will need a Wifi 4G router like this one (I've ordered it, works fine) : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Mobi...-SIM-Router-Support-4G-3G-2G/32433161110.html

Blackvue Cloud features have many limits because it uses a Cloud.
I use the Blackvue Cloud only to be advised of an impact during parking mode.
This way, I don't have to check the SD card each evening to see if an impact has occurred during parking mode.

The dashcam says "There was an impact during parking mode" but this could be your own impact when you close the door of the car... you never know...
A way of improvement could be to announce only an impact occurred more than 3 minutes before leaving parking mode.
This way, you could enter tour car without generating a false impact.

I think the Cloud will not match you desire.
Each day you have only 10 minutes of Live Video for free, adding some time each day will be fast very expensive.

I am OK with only 10 mins of live video for free every day. I saw there were options to add more minutes, but I don't think I would ever need more than that per day.

I use the Blackvue Cloud only to be advised of an impact during parking mode.
This way, I don't have to check the SD card each evening to see if an impact has occurred during parking mode.

Like you, I would want it connected to the cloud so that I get an alert for any impact during parking mode. I park my car on the streets of Chicago and want to know if there is an impact or any event during the parking mode. But my concern is that to receive these alerts in real time it would have to be connected to wifi constantly so just looking for the best solution for that.

You will need a Wifi 4G router like this one (I've ordered it, works fine) : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Mobi...-SIM-Router-Support-4G-3G-2G/32433161110.html

Are you connecting this 4G router to your BlackVue camera? If so, what sort of monthly data usage do you think is necessary for receiving these alerts?
If not, what are you connecting the camera to in order to get the cloud alerts?

I think I had misunderstood you first message.
The easiest way to access the cloud and have instant alerts is to have a 4G router into the car, connected to the Blackvue PMP.
The 4G router provides access point, the dashcam connects to this Wifi access point with SSID and password.
That's all you need.
I don't know the amount of data used by the dashcam because the SIM card I have put into the 4G router is linked to my smartphone SIM card.

If you don't want to buy a wifi router, it might be possible to use an old android phone to serve the same purpose.

My wife just decommissioned an old Samsung phone as she went to an iPhone X.
I am experimenting with turning it into a 3G router (it's old and doesn't have a 4G radio)
These Android phones can be hacked to:
1) auto-start when power is provided through USB when the car is turned on (how this is done depends on the model)
2) use a script (e.g. program like Automator) to turn on the wifi hotspot.
Then it charges while the car is on, provides a wifi hotspot, and then when power is cut it ought to continue providing that hotspot for a while until the battery dies.

This is my theory at least. I have the device set up, I just don't know if it's all that practical since if I leave the phone in the car all the time it won't have long to charge on short drives, so the phone may only provide a wifi hotspot for a part of an hour or so before it dies. Will be testing in the next few weeks.

Update: theory works well. The junker phone that now serves as the wifi spot is in the car permanently and runs off the usb port. Charges when car is in use, provides a nice wifi hotspot, enough to stream video with or upload videos, and has enough charge after I turn off the car to last 3-4 hours to give me parking impact notifications etc. Don't have to touch it or fiddle with it to turn on the wifi hotspot.

(I am not sure if anyone around here has experience with purpose-built wifi hotspot mifi devices as I don't have access to one - do they also switch on automatically if power is provided to them?)

Hi Ptab ... below is my connections for service in the NY area.

a....... T Mobile hot spot (https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Alcatel-4G-LTE-GSM-T-Mobile-WiFi-LINKZONE-MW41-Hotspot/124741759) $70 purchase / $15 for 2GB monthly svc.
b...... Hot Spot provides 10 - 12 Hrs service when fully charged . Connected to power bank to keep it charged.
c..... Hot Spot kept on at all times . I use less than 2 GB monthly since I only check live view only as needed. And dash cam optimized for minimum notifications / alarms.

Hope helpful :)

Hi there - thanks for the input.
So do you have to switch on the hot spot each time when you get in the car and do you need to pull out the power bank from the car from time to time to charge it, OR does it all quick-charge itself when the car is running with no requirement to tend to the system? Just wondering about finding a system that will run and forget it, and still have charge to run after the ignition is off without me or my wife having to manage the power packs etc. My current system with the cellphone works well except that the phone usually only gets enough charge to run 3h or so after ignition is shut off.

Last edited:
Hi there - thanks for the input.
So do you have to switch on the hot spot each time when you get in the car and do you need to pull out the power bank from the car from time to time to charge it, OR does it all quick-charge itself when the car is running with no requirement to tend to the system? Just wondering about finding a system that will run and forget it, and still have charge to run after the ignition is off without me or my wife having to manage the power packs etc. My current system with the cellphone works well except that the phone usually only gets enough charge to run 3h or so after ignition is shut off.

Op911 ..... My Power bank / Hot Spot connection has so far been self sustaining . Both units safely hidden below panel in cargo area next to spare tire.
(http://www.microcenter.com/product/447878/10,400mAH_USB_Power_Bank) ... The Power Bank (TP Link) remains connected to a power socket. It recharges when my car is driven , 45 Mins , four times weekly and maintains a full charge to the Hot Spot. The reserve charges in the Hot Spot and TP Link are sufficient to keep the Hot Spot on full time,..... So far all working Ok for past 6 weeks.

Cheers .. :)

Last edited:
Hi

didnt know there's also to pay cloud features =(

Can u suggest me another dash cam similar to blackvue without montly payments ? Im not gonna do hard wiring, so Thinkware doesnt work in parking mode without hard wiring i've read im right ?

thanks

What's all this cloud stuff about anyway?o_O
If you have an accident, take the card out as evidence. If your car gets bashed whilst parked, take the card out as evidence. Simples. No WiFi, no cloud just common sense. You guys will want to control it with Alexa next.:ROFLMAO:

@M8TJT Easier to ask Alexa to start a manual recording then it is to wave my finger, within 20mm, in front of a small sensor on the camera that's on the other side of my rear view.

The real problem is, Alexa won't hear me through my music probably.
The real, real problem would be when you ask Alexa to do anything, it'll have all 9 of your dashcams activating at once. o_O

Future is friendly!

What's all this cloud stuff about anyway?o_O
If you have an accident, take the card out as evidence. If your car gets bashed whilst parked, take the card out as evidence. Simples. No WiFi, no cloud just common sense. You guys will want to control it with Alexa next.:ROFLMAO:

and if a guy forces the entry on your car and takes the cams with him you will have no proof. also, you can get an alert if someone is all over your car and even send a audio message to him saying "please move along sir". spooky.

the future is mobile CCTV in cars. BlackVue and now thinkware have made the first steps but Owl is on the right track. others will follow in the coming years.

I am interested in the BlackVue DR750S mainly for the cloud connectivity features during parking mode but have not purchased yet. I was hoping I could get some feedback on how users are accessing the cloud features on the DR750S in different parking situations.

Easiest ways I see using the cloud features would be by connecting it to my home wifi network when parked at home and work wifi network while at work, and maybe my mobile hot spot from my phone when I am actually driving. For most other parking situations it seems like the only option would be to have a dedicated wifi hotspot in my car to access live view of my camera whenever I wanted. That means additional hardware + monthly data plan to be able to access these features on-the-go.

What's the best solution you have seen to be able to use the cloud functionality everywhere? It seems like it could get pricey pretty quick to be able to have access to these features 24/7.

The DR750S camera range is "Cloud Compatible" this mean that it does not have cloud but 'Cloud' is available from the unit, thus making 'Live Streaming' possible. This feature is usually used by fleet owners, be they Taxi's of Freight vehicles.
Each vehicle must be equipped with a 'Mobile Router' which are readily available, this will turn each vehicle into a "WiFi Hotspot". This 'Hotspot' will then need to be connected through your local telephone supplier to 'Live stream footage' to you computer or smart phone. Naturally the telephone supplier will charge you for the use of their system.

Regards

Mike

If you don't want to buy a wifi router, it might be possible to use an old android phone to serve the same purpose.

I am experimenting with turning it into a 3G router (it's old and doesn't have a 4G radio)
1) auto-start when power is provided through USB when the car is turned on (how this is done depends on the model)
Then it charges while the car is on, provides a wifi hotspot, and then when power is cut it ought to continue providing that hotspot for a while until the battery dies.

This is my theory at least. I have the device set up, I just don't know if it's all that practical since if I leave the phone in the car all the time it won't have long to charge on short drives, so the phone may only provide a wifi hotspot for a part of an hour or so before it dies. Will be testing in the next few weeks.

Update: theory works well. The junker phone that now serves as the wifi spot is in the car permanently and runs off the usb port. Charges when car is in use, provides a nice wifi hotspot, enough to stream video with or upload videos, and has enough charge after I turn off the car to last 3-4 hours to give me parking impact notifications etc. Don't have to touch it or fiddle with it to turn on the wifi hotspot.

(I am not sure if anyone around here has experience with purpose-built wifi hotspot mifi devices as I don't have access to one - do they also switch on automatically if power is provided to them?)
Opp911, does your Samsung require a SIM Card? I've been trying to achieve this same set up, but my phone will not connect to to the dashcam. I have a Thinkware F800 pro. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Opp911, does your Samsung require a SIM Card? I've been trying to achieve this same set up, but my phone will not connect to to the dashcam. I have a Thinkware F800 pro. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I use a Netgear Aircard to provide wifi for my BlackVue. It is plugged into the charging socket in the boot. When the engine is off, the built in battery provides around 12 hours of wifi before the device shuts down. It then re-starts once the engine is running. The nicest thing about it for me is that it allows me to keep an eye out for my wife and kids as she (my wife) does a lot of motorway driving with them - and I tend to worry!!

Hi sorry I hadn't logged in for a while and didn't see this.
Yes, I have a SIM card in my samsung phone. Still working right now reasonably well.

Back