Continuous WiFi Connection for Cloud

k.b.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are there any ready to go systems for continuous "over the cloud" viewing and GPS location of a teen driver for safety purposes? I know Blackvue DR750S and DR650S are touted to do just that but users seem to report problems, poor factory support, as well as added cost for over 10 min of video/day. I don't need high res for this application just smaller resolution that will upload to the cloud. I figure about an hour of video per day. Maybe I need to get a house Wifi IP camera and a hotspot box.

Anybody with experience or recommendations?

are you wanting something that uploads to the cloud all the time while running, or just something you can view on an as needs basis?

...all the time while the vehicle is running, is what I was thinking. Maybe I am asking for too much.

Then how does Blackvue do it? Or am I misunderstanding what it (DR650S) is claimed to do?

From Blackvue website:

Remote Live View (Real time streaming)
FormatD1 (704×480)
Bitrate600Kpbs (Kilobits per second)
1 minute4.5MB (Megabytes)
1 hour270MB (Megabytes)
24 hours6.48GB (Gigabytes)

they offer a low res version for streaming, if you want anything more than 10 minutes a day you have to pay extra for it, a lot of people have commented that the streaming isn't reliable, that may well be to do with the internet side of things but whatever the case it's not practical to use for full time monitoring

cloud-cartoon-01.jpg

OK so I was figuring 6GB/month. Verizon sells that data plan for ~ $40, using say their jetpack mobile hotspot.

Thanks for all of your info. I was hoping to see if anyone had any success before I dropped the cash. :)

Thanks for all of your info. I was hoping to see if anyone had any success before I dropped the cash. :)

yeah might be wise to read up a bit on what people think of the free cloud access before going to the expense of the full setup and monthly cloud access fees, cell service etc

Back