Convert Mirror Mount to 'Stick on' Mount

DT MI

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than my wife thinks I need.
I had a G1W-x camera that I wanted to try and use as a rear camera but the suction cup mount would not work because of the heater/antenna wires on the glass. I had a mirror mount that wasn't being used so I figured I'd try to adapt it somehow. Here's the step-by-step on what I did.

(You could probably do the same with a suction cup mount depending on how it's constructed but I didn't have one laying around to experiment with.)

1. This is the mirror mount that I started with:

1-MirrorMount1.JPG

2. Take a cutting tool of your choice and remove most of the clamp portion:

2-MirrorMount2.JPG

3. Find a piece of rigid plastic thick enough to retain it's shape. I used some 3/8" plexiglass I had laying around:

3-Plexi.JPG

4. Sand both surfaces so adhesives have something to 'grip':

4-PlexiSanded.JPG

5. Glue the plastic to the modified portion of the mount. I used epoxy since I knew it would work.

5-Glued.JPG

6. After the epoxy sets reassemble the mount:

6-Assembled.JPG

7. I then attached some industrial strength Velcro tape to the plastic.

7-Velcro.JPG

8. Attach the camera and mount in the vehicle using the other half of the Velcro on the vehicle.

8-Camera.JPG 9-Camera.JPG

If I were to do it again I would use Scotch Dual-Lock instead of the Velcro tape as it would be more rigid when mounted. The Velcro let the camera vibrate on certain road conditions. You could also use 3M double sided high bond tape.

Last edited:
I had a G1W-x camera that I wanted to try and use as a rear camera but the suction cup mount would not work because of the heater/antenna wires on the glass. I had a mirror mount that wasn't being used so I figured I'd try to adapt it somehow. Here's the step-by-step on what I did.

(You could probably do the same with a suction cup mount depending on how it's constructed but I didn't have one laying around to experiment with.)

1. This is the mirror mount that I started with:

View attachment 13452

2. Take a cutting tool of your choice and remove most of the clamp portion:

View attachment 13453

3. Find a piece of rigid plastic thick enough to retain it's shape. I used some 3/8" plexiglass I had laying around:

View attachment 13454

4. Sand both surfaces so adhesives have something to 'grip':

View attachment 13455

5. Glue the plastic to the modified portion of the mount. I used epoxy since I knew it would work.

View attachment 13456

6. After the epoxy sets reassemble the mount:

View attachment 13457

7. I then attached some industrial strength Velcro tape to the plastic.

View attachment 13458

8. Attach the camera and mount in the vehicle using the other half of the Velcro on the vehicle.

View attachment 13459 View attachment 13460

If I were to do it again I would use Scotch Dual-Lock instead of the Velcro tape as it would be more rigid when mounted. The Velcro let the camera vibrate on certain road conditions. You could also use 3M double sided high bond tape.

Thanks so much for your detailed reply and pictorial. I just tried to buy a couple of mounts from Amazon.com but they won't ship them to Canada. My buddy got this mount with his G1w-c and mounted it to his Goldwing. Works flawlessly..You just undo the screw part from the rubber mount. Drill a hole in the side of the center vent in the windshield and attach it. ( Throw the rubber mount away) It stays there permanently and all you do is snap the mount up into the ball.

I need to get another camera as I only have 4, LOL. Maybe I can find one shipped from China that has that mount with it?

Last edited:
Back