CONVERTIBLE roadster soft top dash cam that stays in car when open/roof down

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I assume since its a ragtop, then the RVM would be hung off the windscreen leaving little room.

Perhaps one of those new fangled models thats supposed to hug the RVM mirror assembly ?

According to this video there dont look to be much around the mirror, so a SGZC12RC would proberly allso install pretty darn stealthy in front of the mirror.

Most RVM cams aren't very good, but if it is all which will work here it's certainly better than nothing. There's a few different approaches to security; one is making them work too hard to be worth their while (physically securing). If they want it bad enough it will be gone anyway or they'll break something even more expensive to get it. Another (and I use this one a lot) is to not make it easily known that something is valuable there (discretion). One part of that is being near (but not next to) an obviously better 'target' for thieves so that someone else loses instead of you. Another approach is to make the item worth nothing to a thief. If they can't sell it they won't take it ;)

Long ago I read about an audiophile in NYC whose apartment was burgled and all his stereo gear was taken. Insurance replaced it, then a few weeks later it happened again :eek: And again insurance replaced it, but not wanting a repeat this guy took all the cases off his stereo gear and hid them well, leaving functional but unsaleable parts in view. A few weeks later someone broke in but took nothing and it never happened again. I've considered doing something like that with a Mobius; a remoted lens and circuit board mounted to a homemade bracket with no case. Even if they knew what it was it would have no value to them so they'd pass it by :p

I'd be looking for a remote lens cam where the inconspicuous lens would be all they see and since most thieves know nearly nothing about dashcams (except that complete ones can be sold) at worst they might steal the remote lens. I'd look for a cam where that remote lens could be had without buying the whole camera set-up in case that happens. And I'd devise my own mount ti make the lens part least noticeable and tough to get. I'm not sure that a cam like that actually exits but it would be worth the search and it would offer you the best possible security against theft IMO.

BTW that's a nice car :D

Phil

Awesome help Phil.

I am now looking at a DVR box with wired cameras off it.

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252607410148
I could hide the DVR box and wire the cameras back to it.

People would only see a small camera then.

Are there any reviews on these, are they called anything specific to make searching easier?

Last edited:
Awesome help Phil.

I am now looking at a DVR box with wired cameras off it.

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252607410148
I could hide the DVR box and wire the cameras back to it.

People would only see a small camera then.

Are there any reviews on these, are they called anything specific to make searching easier?

this type of product are generally used for trucks and buses, the cameras they use are quite large, larger than some standalone cameras

Actually not in this case.

The new systems allow ANY camera to be attached.

Did you click the link, they supply super small cameras.

Actually not in this case.

The new systems allow ANY camera to be attached.

Did you click the link, they supply super small cameras.

I'm familiar with the type of product, the reason they can work with ANY camera is they are analogue, ie; low resolution, the results are not great, don't get sucked in by the pictures they use in their advertising

Another approach would be to look for a dash cam that's easy to attach and detach. When parked, you could take the camera indoor, keep it in a locked glovebox or hide it in some inconspicuous area/corner within the car that's in arms reach.

As mentioned above, the SGZC12RC may be the most suitable choice for your car. The lens module is so small that it's unlikely to be noticed. The main unit can be locked in the glovebox.

image.jpeg

Back