Convinced there is no perfect dual channel system

melensdad

Reaction score
Country
United States
The more I read and research the more convinced I become that the dual channel systems have not risen to the level of the major leagues yet.

The Blackvue 550/650 lacks rear camera resolution, is bit rate challenged, and is ideally suited for right hand drive vehicles so the wires can run directly up the rear view mirror stalk (or wiring cover).

ALL the models with screens are too bulky for the western markets where stealth is highly valued. The Panorama 2x even has a bright polished perimeter surrounding the entire camera body and a disco light ring -- which is sad because other than its form factor it has the right tech specs. Granted the firmware for western markets turns off the disco light, but it's still too big and shiny.

Cowan's AW2 looks pretty good, is discreet, but is not officially available, nor supported in the US market.

I'd like to find dual cam systems that will hide away discretely in my daughters Jetta, my A6, and my wife's Touareg but all the systems seem to suffer from one of three faults: too cheaply built, or are not discrete, or are lacking in performance.

Is there no true high quality brand that looks like an OEM install?

What am I missing?

i think my a118 looks about as close to an OEM install as you can get - check my photos here. it's plenty stealthy and has a screen, but it's a single camera unit. but it's also affordable, so it would be easy to add one in the back and have 2 cameras. the only hangup is that requires two SD cards, but at least you'd have two good-looking cameras with true 1080p and a nice wide angle.

right now i'm on the fence... i am considering taking the a118 out of my wife's car and putting it in mine (to replace my aging low-resolution f70), then getting her the blacksys cf-100 mentioned above. it doesn't have a screen, but it's 1080p front and 720p rear and only needs one sd card. in addition, the blacksys uses capacitors instead of batteries (caps don't wear out like batteries do in a hot car) and has a good parking mode (at least on paper), which would be great since my wife's van has been a victim of parking lot hit & runs twice now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speak for yourself. ;)

The pano x2 fits my needs perfectly. I wish the screen was bigger and I want the orange led bling back! o_O

I agree with you there is no perfect solution for everyone. There is no "one size fits all" for many products.

Things will improve and we all have different needs, however as I said you think the pano x2 is big, but to me it's not a problem.

... Course I love and use a mobile phone with a six inch screen... :cool::p

Op,

If you are crafty, there are do it yourself projects where you can remove the lens and lens holder, attach the lens with a flexible ribbon cable and design your own. Lots of posts on this.

Op,

If you are crafty, there are do it yourself projects where you can remove the lens and lens holder, attach the lens with a flexible ribbon cable and design your own. Lots of posts on this.
I am not that adept!

Haha you and me both! o_O:p

I was kinda hanging on, hoping something good (and inexpensive) was going to come out - but looking at the last couple of vids my F70 has churned out, I really can't wait.
To this end, I've ordered a third mobius with lens extension. (1 in bus at work, the other 2 in car). I've got some of the cycle helmet mounts & plan to run a dedicated power supply (on a timer) for both cams, the rear cam will use the lens extension.
Since all the settings are done on the PC, the time on both units should match exactly. Both cams running 64GB SD cards - so plenty of recording time. Each cam recording to its own SD card - should also mean less things to go wrong (and the mobius has a strong, reliable pedigree).
I appreciate it'll be a bit of a pain having to pull two cards but it's not really that often that I've needed to use footage from the rear and the whole setup is still coming in at ££less than the dual cam setups currently on offer (as well as offering better stealth)

Once that's all setup, I might look at repurposing the F70 to keep an eye out of my side windows. Depends on how energetic I'm feeling really.

I'm new to the site, for 2 days I've been digging all over the web looking for my setup I want & came across this thread. Losing hope since this old thread from October 2014 and now August 2015 still can't find same thing. All I want 1. dual channel cam 2. discreet form factor -no lcd screen 3. 1080p resolution 4. parking mode 5. wifi So far I came across two cams eCELL focus and Auto4i but sadly both are 720p resolution. I willing to pay $$ for what but I have to compromise in 2015

Last edited:
I wonder if the Transcent DrivePro 250 would work. It seems kinda big but at least 1080p maybe set up two of these, one in front and back then aim the inside cam little to the left and right for outside with overlapping interior. Is this available for purchase? http://www.transcend-info.com/products/No-705

I wonder if the Transcent DrivePro 250 would work. It seems kinda big but at least 1080p maybe set up two of these, one in front and back then aim the inside cam little to the left and right for outside with overlapping interior. Is this available for purchase? http://www.transcend-info.com/products/No-705
well just based on your name, you might like this camera: http://www.vicovation.com/product.asp?IDno=24&lang=eng

yes, sorry, that's a little corny. but the vicovation line has a good reputation and good specs. and the form factor on this one isn't too bad either. it's not cheap, but in this case you do normally get what you pay for.

well just based on your name, you might like this camera: http://www.vicovation.com/product.asp?IDno=24&lang=eng

yes, sorry, that's a little corny. but the vicovation line has a good reputation and good specs. and the form factor on this one isn't too bad either. it's not cheap, but in this case you do normally get what you pay for.

Thanks, I have the Marcus #2 on the list, I haven't purchased it cause I want (in order priority) - dual 1080p, wifi, formfactor(no lcd screen) , parking mode. If marcus 5 had wifi probably would of bought by now. I keep thinking if I wait 3- to months the wifi option will be more available. The transcend drivepro 250 that I mentioned above has wifi. I guess it's not going to help me either if i can't find a seller.

edit - Both the Marcus 5 and Transcend Drivepro has 720p rear cam. Keep on searching

Last edited:
Hi

But what does your cigar lighter do when the ignition is switched OFF, so how many minutes does the DashCam battery last – 5minutes?

Our solution uses OBD so power 24/7/365 and recording 24/7/365.

This solution lets the cigar lighter be used for all the other needs that a modern driver has.
Yes this has 3 cameras, 2 of which are exterior. 27% of all accidents occur on the near side.

Regards

Max

Powering off OBD is not stupid, but then camera better have discharge preventer build in.

Most that want hardware 27/7 use just tap into fuse box with piggyback fuse and then add a BDP, but you still have to drive a lot or have a pretty strong generator to keep a charge on your battery.

My little Suzuki with a battery size that match the 1000 ccm car would be drained in no time if i powered all 4 of my cameras just overnight.
So instead i have a 1080P IP camera aimed on my car where its parked in a pitch black yard behind my house, the IR light of the PTZ camera light up my car like it is daytime, and anyone of my dashcams would see nothing due to far too low light down there.

Yes we have BDP and other software to protect the vehicles battery and a Super Capacitor, and other software to protect the vehicle battery.
The DashCam uses a minimum amount of power because the screen is automatically switched Off and the parking mode takes 1fps 24/7/365.
No holes are required in the bodywork and no skilled electrician is required we are aiming the X1S at the plug and play professional driver, not someone who is a techie / DIYer. If you can work a video then this is easy.
Many manufacturers want to outdo competitors with needless bells and whistles and go faster stripes. I took a different route by reading the frustrations on this and similar websites, then speaking to hundreds of professional drivers and Fleet Managers.

Thank you for the request. I will try and find the time to do that but I am suspicious of all such files as too many sellers show files taken by other means. I will send a gps file.

Back