Cop blinding oncoming drivers with lights

dbusguy

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo

June 12, 2015. 4am Peel Regional Police on paid duty, babysitting construction site overnight on Dixie Rd, north of Burnhamthorpe. Single lane traffic all in northbound lanes. PRP with full roof lights and alternating high beams shining right into eyes of drivers driving south. Blinding. WTF. Necessary?

Some of the new lights are too bright. :(
Doesn't matter, some idiot will claim they didn't see the cop, anyway.
You have to force yourself to slow down, and concentrate on a lane marking, not look at the bright lights. (while cursing) :)

Exactly!
If they drive at high speed without lights, another video would have been posted,
Cop driving at high speed without lights putting drivers in danger... ;)

Back in the Andy Griffith of Mayberry fame days all cars were 6 volts. People saw the blue lights that were very dim in comparison. The modern police lights are to bright and have been for decades. The light bar actually has a dimmer. The problem is most cops have no idea what a blue light dimmer is for.

I saw the same exact problem when driving home almost 2,000 miles from Miami. The empty cop car that was far off from the interstate (in a construction zone) only served to blind everyone driving on the interstate.

At my first job in New Jersey, a coworker screamed throughout the factory. She got news that her brother who was working construction on the AC expressway was struck and killed by a motorist.

A traffic control company used our frat as a labor pool. I waited in the three foot space between the concrete barrier and the 50 mph bumpers for a break before sprinting to the shoulder with a 2'x3' sign cover. A few years later I visited the house and found a brother on permanent disability with a knee that looked like a tree burl from one of those bumpers.

Thankfully traffic control in construction sites is now much more elaborate and better staffed.

I don't have problems with the bright lights.

If you can't see properly then you should slow down, just as you do in the fog or rain to give you more time to react, I wouldn't want to be parked there with no lights on waiting for some idiot with a mobile under his nose to drive in to me.

If you can't see properly then you should slow down, just as you do in the fog or rain to give you more time to react, I wouldn't want to be parked there with no lights on waiting for some idiot with a mobile under his nose to drive in to me.

I could see just fine until the cop car had its blue lights on. It was probably 300' away from the interstate. here were concrete barriers between us. I am not sure anything but a loaded semi truck could have hit the cop car if they tried.

The police car was creating a visual obstruction on the road that was not required. Just their blue lights could cause me to brake in a panicked fashion going from the 50mph work zone speed to maybe 15mph trying to see where I was going. A black night and blue lights are a blinding combination.

The thing with this was there was no construction overnight. All week, there was a cop in the same spot, sitting in the barrels with full lights. The construction was actually on the far side away from where he was. We were all in the N/B lanes, single lane. Still cannot understand why he was there every night. But he could have at least turned off the alternating high beams or angled his car differently.

The thing with this was there was no construction overnight. All week, there was a cop in the same spot, sitting in the barrels with full lights. The construction was actually on the far side away from where he was. We were all in the N/B lanes, single lane. Still cannot understand why he was there every night. But he could have at least turned off the alternating high beams or angled his car differently.
Complain to traffic office. Maybe they'll alert the cop.

I am pretty sure it was an abandoned car with just the lights flashing. There is no reason to have a man sitting in a car that just sits still.

The traffic office never does any good. They want the blue lights there to blind people.

If only i was that lucky, i once allmost T-boned a K9 unit and here those vans are allways a dark color and back then the letters on the side wasent reflective.

The idiot cop had put his unlit car across both lanes of the E45 motorway with a 110 km/h speed limit and i was doing like 140 as it was 4 in the morning and i just got off after a 16 hour work day.

I am pretty sure most other drivers would have T boned that van, but i was able to brake and steer down a offramp where i then parked while i whent back to tell the cop to put some lights on his GD car. :mad:

Nope, wasn't an abandoned car. Every day for 5 days and there was a cop sitting in the car.. I gave him a dirty look.

Just don't honk your horn, you may wake him up.

:)

One state in the US will put old police cars in the median of I-95 to slow down holiday traffic. They had mannequins in the front seat that look like they were stolen from a discount ladies clothes store, with a cop hat on.

:)

I have sensitivity to bright lights and lights like that piss me off to no end. I had an airport cop beam his flashlight right into my eyes to signal me to move along. He was lucky he didn't end up as a hood ornament after blinding me like that.

Back