Cops use fake Amazon boxes, GPS to track would-be package thieves

Danish TV just did the same to mass thieves here, put GPS trackers in some instant coffee jars ( seem to be popular among thieves and so users too )
So they sat in the store watching a guy steal a whole shopping cart ( the entire display several cases of instant coffee ) they then called the police that said " well thats too bad, but we don't have time or manpower to deal with such things"
They then the day after tracked the coffee to several little "immigrant" kiosks, where the owner of course denied knowledge of anything.

I think it is genius, and should be used more often, though it will need a change of Danish law as the police are not allowed to use things like bait cars and so on here, which are of course embarrassing if you ask me.

Funny thing those little kiosks and pizza joints they can exist on streets where all other shops close, even same kind of shops :unsure: where my friend use to live you could spit from one pizza baker to the other, there was like 6 of then within 1 stone throw.
15 years ago there was 1 pizza baker there, and he had to close up shop as there was too little sales, but these guys ??????
I have always wondered how that can be. :cautious:

They need to put something in the boxes that makes the value of the stolen box a felony. Gps trackers are getting too cheap.
:(

I think we all should save our amazon boxes, and put them on the porch full of kitchen (Or worse) trash, and a few bricks.

Thats what i would do, put all kinds of nasty out there, and i would not rule out a tripwire and a little boom that might fling a little nasty all over the place.

So have those guys been following the post van around, and don't the post at least buss the doorbell just in case someone is home.

No. Not usually. If they do, it's 'one knock, one ring, throw the package on the porch, and run'. They're usually faster than the porch pirates.

I've been home for several deliveries where there was no knock or doorbell ring. The only indication that a package was delivered was an email update or delivery tracking app notification if I was lucky enough to get a shipping notice. At least they bring the package all the way to the door, but I don't understand why they don't ring the bell or knock unless they're purposely trying to avoid personal interactions? Maybe too many people will try to talk to them and slow them down?

KuoH

No. Not usually. If they do, it's 'one knock, one ring, throw the package on the porch, and run'.

I only chat up the good looking girls delivering to me, and those are far in between.

Many years ago i had a parcel delivered to my friends address, but as it turned out there was another street a stone throw from there with a ever so slightly similar name, and my parcel was put there and outside the door.
Which was really freaky as delivery outside of the door or elsewhere are something you have to select, and it is far from the norm people do that for good reasons as we can see above.
Anyway a little later the postman had picked up the parcel at the front door of the wrong address and came to the right place with it, but by then both i and my friend had written off my +300 USD parcel from the US.

Here you can redirect to your work space, or the post office, or one of the parcel boxes you have to open with a code. ( if its a parcel heading for your door )
Some parcels also go direct to a parcel pickup box or post office as that is cheaper than delivery to the door.
And by post office i mean some store thats been designated as postal store / pickup place, true post offices like in the old days we pretty much don't have any more, and still Danish postal hemorrhage money like there are no tomorrow.

I suppose it's not impossible. I wonder if Amazon sells a personal EMP device in one of those doomsday prepper kits?

KuoH

How do you know they weren't delivered by drone?

:LOL:

They need to put something in the boxes that makes the value of the stolen box a felony. Gps trackers are getting too cheap.
:(

I think we all should save our amazon boxes, and put them on the porch full of kitchen (Or worse) trash, and a few bricks.

this is such a great idea. a few times a year, I clean house and drag a lot of clutter to the local salvation army or goodwill store. this bypasses all the "oh, we aren't taking donations right now, please come back some other time."

Just don't put too nasty stuff in the old amazon box, creeps like that will just ditch whatever you give then, so probably not a good idea to give them something bad for the environment.
BUT other than that,,,,,, let them have it.

That's awesome, except he should've made it spray paint or permanent dye. If they want to steal something, it should take more than a vacuum cleaner to clean it up!

KuoH

This is a good bait box with 4 phones to upload video footage. This guy worked on the Mars rover.

Nice. but still getting off too easy in my book, need to be dirtier.

I am still thinking a flexible silicone hose, that will flutter in all directions as something stream out of it ( like a unmanned fire hose,,,,, that can actually kill a person ) or a air hose that can also get pretty wild.

Using a basic ejector principle you should be able to have the out rushing CO2 suck up and eject something from a container of some sort.

Dont get mad...... get even,,,,,, and have fun.

Back