Copy files off the 750 across the network?

nickp

Reaction score
Country
United States
My BlackVue connects to my home network when I park the car in the garage at night.

I'd like to be able to automatically copy the day's files across my home network to my external PC.
Has anyone figured a way to do this?

I can copy files using the blackvue hot-spot, but only to the app on my phone.
I can copy the files by ejecting the SD card.
I can copy the files by connecting to the cloud with my desktop viewer, but that pushes everything over the cloud, which is just a waste of bandwidth...

I want to build an automatic way to copy the files without having to take out the card; either using the BV hotspot, or preferably using the WiFi connection in my house.

Anyone?

I find that idea interesting too. Don’t know whether there’s a tool that can do this but you can either look at the communication using Wireshark or write to Blackvue to either implement one of the open protocols or publish their protocol.

There is someone in this forum that who has done this. But I don't remember who it is.

bpsmicro has done this already in .NET. i believe he has shared some of his work on this forum already, but he is a really nice guy so maybe hit him up.

it should be pretty trivial, i have been meaning to do it as well (in python). the http api is pretty simple and allows you to grab a listing of the content of the card and the videos themselves. i think it also allows grabbing of the gps data, but i am unsure. on my camera the gps info is stored within the video files themselves, but i have heard other people have the gpsdata saved in separate files on the card. i don't know if the gps retrieval functionality i have seen caters to both situations.

i've seen the api published somewhere but i forget where. looking at the firmware for the cgi binaries also shows how it works.

i'm planning on having it connect to the house wifi (or have a multihomed device connect to the camera) and a script grabs a listing of files, compares against list of previously captured files, then grabs each new file sequentially. if it supports http range requests i will also make something that grabs the gps data out of the files remotely (if the api doesnt already allow this), and maybe also see if i can download from the camera faster using concurrent ranges of the same file (like axel does).

i have already made a db that stores all of the gps data, and can generate maps of trips from it, and generate stats like weekly distance travelled etc... now all i need to do is the bit that captures the data regularly!

i am also going to modify the firmware to add a couple things, but primarily im going to add an http request that allows the user to shut down the device over the network. so i can slurp stuff down and tell it to go to bed once i'm done. as yet unsure how i will wake it up afterwards though.

Last edited:
I like to think I'm a nice guy. :)

George Argus has a script in the "Viewer and Apps" forum here that may do what you want. He's put a lot of work into his script.

I also have my own .NET app that I wrote, that works with the 650S and 750S, and I assume the 900S as well. I "borrowed" a lot of the initial logic from George's work, but migrated to .NET because I'm more familiar with that. My app takes a little work to set up and requires you to have some basic knowledge of how your home network WiFi works and how the camera connects to it.

If you find George's script isn't quite doing it for you, and want to try mine, PM me. At some point I need to write an installer for it, so I can share it more easily.

Brad.

You guys rock, thank you!

I will start off with the George stuff, but might move to bps' (I do know a little bit about networking, so hopfully that will not be too hard.)

Happy Holidays guys - safe driving.
Nick.

I've been using this

Works well. File transfer is slow as buggery, but it gets there in the end.

Back