Correct hardwire kit for Viofo A119 v3.4

csh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having trouble to establish the correct amperage output for a 12-5 volt hardware kit for my A119. I was intending to use a spare kit I had which was used to power a next base dash cam. This is a 12-5 volt kit with 2 amps output, but when I contacted Viofo I was advised to go for a 1 amp output only. The only other hardwire kits I have seen advertised for the A119 are 1.5 amp output which I also have but haven't fitted. So which hardwire kit should I use? A 12-5 volt kit with a 1 amp, 1.5 or possibly a 2 amp output? I should add I am going to use a piggy back/fuse tap to connect to a fusebox and was intending to connect it to the cigarette lighter 20 amp fuse and then add the dash cam fuse at the same amperage as for the hardwire kit ie either 2 amp, 1.5 amp or 1 amp.

Your kit is fine. The A119 will only draw what it needs.

Hi CaptureYourAction

Wow, thanks for your quick reply! I thought I was fine but when I received Viofo Support's reply to the same question this is what they said (worryingly):

"The correct ampperag is 1A(5V), I am afraid that 2A could be overloaded for A119."

So I won't need to take out the 12-5 volt 2 amp output kit I have so painstakingly fitted in my car and I'll fit a 2 amp fuse along side the 20amp fuse in the fuse tap and they'll be no chance of any future problems??

So when you say it will only draw what it needs, exactly how much max would that be?

2A is fine, it's more important that the 5v output is stable

Good to know, thanks jokiin. But I'm still not sure why Viofo Support said otherwise.

It is better to have 2A available and only need 1A than the reverse.

In the UK a standard mains socket CAN supply 13A. That doesn't mean that every device you plug in is forced to suck up over 3kW of power. It's no different in little 5V USB power supplies. The device (dash cam) will only draw what it needs, not the maximum available.

It is better to have 2A available and only need 1A than the reverse.

In the UK a standard mains socket CAN supply 13A. That doesn't mean that every device you plug in is forced to suck up over 3kW of power. It's no different in little 5V USB power supplies. The device (dash cam) will only draw what it needs, not the maximum available.

Yes I understand now and I like your very clear example.

I see you're from London/Essex. Spent many years down at Canvey Island in our caravan. Very fond memories.

Thanks for your help.

2A is OK.
But the voltage can not be over 5V.

2A is OK.
But the voltage can not be over 5V.

Thanks Viofo for confirming that a 2amp in the piggy back fuse tap will be ok in conjunction with a 12-5v hardwire kit.

Thanks Viofo for confirming that a 2amp in the piggy back fuse tap will be ok in conjunction with a 12-5v hardwire kit.

you're referring to the rating of the fuse, it's the output of the power supply that is important

I used a 3 amp fuse for more than a year, will there be any issues?

OBDII Charging Cable Mini USB Power Adapter Can be use here.

OBDII Charging Cable Mini USB Power Adapter Can be use here.
I don't recommend the obd2 adapters because there is always power at the obd2 port even with the ignition turned off. So unless the adapter also includes adjustable low voltage cutoff and/or timer cutoff, it can leave you with a dead battery.

I don't recommend the obd2 adapters because there is always power at the obd2 port even with the ignition turned off. So unless the adapter also includes adjustable low voltage cutoff and/or timer cutoff, it can leave you with a dead battery.
Thank you for your responses.

Back