Correct Wiring and Settings for Power Hardwire Kit

cbuddha

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Hello all! I'm a first time poster and new owner of two B1W dashcams I bought online here in Thailand. I will have them installed on my wife and mother-in-law's cars. Since this unit has such great reviews, I went all in and also purchased Power Hardwire Kits and polarizing lens filters for them. My first question is about wiring the hardwire kits, because a post somewhere in these forums mentioned past use of three wires (red, black, yellow) for some functionality that is no longer available on the B1W... For both present and future use of this dashcam, is it correct to completely ignore the yellow wire, and simply hook up red to constant power and black to ground?

Also, the weather here in NE Thailand is consistently hot. The car interior may reach 50 or 60 degrees Celsius when the car is parked in the open. Is the 12.2V switch setting the best for these conditions when using Parking Mode?

Thank you in advance!

this kit is for parking mode on the 0906, the B1W doesn't use switched parking mode, only needs a two wire kit

If it has the correct USB plug on it then it should work. The B1W will ignore the parking signal.
B1W uses micro USB, while I think 0906 uses mini USB (mine does) so it may have the wrong plug.

I don't know how to wire it, yellow and red don't seem to have a consistent colour standard, but the instructions on it seem clear! Black should be 0 volts (earth), you can guess at the other, and swap if it doesn't work as wanted.

Last edited:
If it has the correct USB plug on it then it should work. The B1W will ignore the parking signal.
B1W uses micro USB, while I think 0906 uses mini USB (mine does) so it may have the wrong plug.
production 0906's had Micro USB

Also, the weather here in NE Thailand is consistently hot. The car interior may reach 50 or 60 degrees Celsius when the car is parked in the open. Is the 12.2V switch setting the best for these conditions when using Parking Mode?
If the 12.2V setting works then that is a good setting, if you find it turns off too soon then you can lower it to 12.0, or if you have a AGM battery then 11.8 should be OK. In cold weather you should keep it higher, but that wont be an issue in Thailand.

If you want your camera to last a long time then maybe turn it off in very hot weather if you are parked in the sun with the windows closed, but the B1W does seem OK in the heat.

The cable plugs into the cam, so we're good on that end.

I don't know how to wire it, yellow and red don't seem to have a consistent colour standard! Black should be 0 volts (earth), you can guess at the other, and swap if it doesn't work as wanted.
The main concern I have is whether the third (yellow) wire might be used for the B1W in the future as there was code related to it in a past version of the firmware, if I remember correctly. I have to look for that thread again. This hardwire kit, at least, has the wires labeled clearly, so that's a relief.

If the 12.2V setting works then that is a good setting, if you find it turns off too soon then you can lower it to 12.0, or if you have a AGM battery then 11.8 should be OK. In cold weather you should keep it higher, but that wont be an issue in Thailand.

If you want your camera to last a long time then maybe turn it off in very hot weather if you are parked in the sun with the windows closed, but the B1W does seem OK in the heat.
Ah, OK. Thanks for that! Sorry for asking noob questions, but these are the first dashcams I've ever bought and I want my wife and her mom to be able to have a trouble-free experience with them.

Ah, OK. Thanks for that! Sorry for asking noob questions, but these are the first dashcams I've ever bought and I want my wife and her mom to be able to have a trouble-free experience with them.
Make sure that you check the video occasionally, it is not unknown for a dashcam to be installed and never checked until it is needed 2 years later, and for it to only ever have recorded 10 minutes of video. Memory cards do wear out even if the camera continues so they do need to be checked occasionally. And leave the voices/sounds on for a while so that you hear if there is a problem.

The cable plugs into the cam, so we're good on that end.

The main concern I have is whether the third (yellow) wire might be used for the B1W in the future as there was code related to it in a past version of the firmware, if I remember correctly. I have to look for that thread again. This hardwire kit, at least, has the wires labeled clearly, so that's a relief.

View attachment 45012
This hardwire kit works with B1W. Red wire for 12V always-on socket, Black for GND, Yellow wire Not connected any socket! (B1W cannot detect ACC signal)

I just ordered something like this.
61snO9jAgsL._SY355_.jpg

Hope it will work. It is microusb with "supposedly" cutoff at 11.6V.

One tip for you, you should get a hardwire kit which features with drain-protection to your battery!

Yes, the one I got have it. It will cut-off the power when voltage falls below 11.6V. This is drain protection, right? Or am I getting it wrong?

Yes, the one I got have it. It will cut-off the power when voltage falls below 11.6V. This is drain protection, right? Or am I getting it wrong?
You are correct, although 11.6V is rather low if you regularly let it drain to that level, the battery will not have a long life, which I think is why the B1W is often sold with the 3 wire kit in the OP which has a selectable cut-off voltage.

The B1W doesn't use much power compared to other dashcams, so as long as you drive daily the one you have is probably fine, if you are leaving the car while you go on a weeks holiday it would be wise to unplug the camera though. I would recommend using one with a higher voltage or selectable voltage.

Oh..11.6V is too low? That is an optimal cut-off voltage?

Thanks! I will order another one that is recommended for B1W.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T B1W 1
i69fstop B1W 8
D B1W 37
Back