Corrupted files

Brad Bishop

Reaction score
Country
United States
I picked up a VIOFO A119S in the Spring and have noticed an ongoing problem with corrupted files.

The first few files will be fine, proper length (~400-500MB) but then remaining files are 5-10MB and are corrupted. This is using a Transcend High Endurance 32GB micro SD Card.

I thought upgrading the firmware might help (upgraded it, reset all the options and formatted the sd card after) and no luck. I still get mostly corrupted files.

Any thoughts?

Welcome and stay tuned because the lads will be with you shortly regarding the card

When you say remaining files are corrupt, do you mean the last file of each drive (before camera shutdown)?

Could be a capacitor issue.

I would check the card before worrying about the capacitor

Lots of things can go wrong first like removing a card before recording has stopped among others

Just my own personal experience....I have been using a Lexar High Performance 633 x 32GB micro SDHC UHS-1 card since purchasing my A119S about six months ago and it (thankfully) has worked flawlessly during this time. I have checked the footage once a week.. I am sure there are plenty of other good cards to use but this is my own finding..

My lexar 64 endurance is working sweet

Here's what I'm seeing:

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 12.33.21 PM.png
You can see that the first few files are the correct size (I think I had it set to 10m files).. After that it jumps to 8-10MB files..

I haven't done anything like remove the card while it's running / writing. It's fully off before I remove.

I'm using a 32GB Transcend High Endurance and while I could purchase another card to test against (probably will have to) I'd rather not start buying cards to test if I don't have to (then I just have an extra odd card I really don't need).

I think this may have only worked once when I was initially testing it for a few days.. When I leave it it just does this (see the numerous 2034 above and I don't drive that much - you can see by the timestamps that it creates a file and then moves on and creates another files without thinking (repeat)).

Corrupted also means: Those tiny little files - I can't even copy them over to my Mac.
Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 12.41.26 PM.png

Do you have motion detect turned on? If so try turning it off as it's not particularly reliable in most dash cams and can get confused and produce these type of results.

Motion detection is turned off. These files are created while driving.

Reflash with new firmware and format the card in the camera

Its amazing how many people play with the menus and stuff but forget the basics like default after reinstall

Motion detection is turned off. These files are created while driving.

Even though the files were created when driving if you have motion detection turned on the camera may fail to detect 'motion' and stop recording until it does detect motion. As I said, MD is notoriously unreliable in most dash cams and when used can produce the exact results you are seeing (many small files at less than the loop length you've set the camera at).

Are you able to view the files with the playback function of the camera?

When I updated the firmware I reset the settings to default and then went back through them and turned off the useless stuff like motion detection, stop-soon detection (can't think of the option off the top of my head), stay in lane detection, etc.... At the same time I formatted the micro SD card.

Are you able to view the files with the playback function of the camera?

I'll pop it back in and see later this evening and let you know. I usually just pull the card out and use Dashcam Viewer to look at the videos (if I can copy them to my Mac, that is).

Yeah.. That's, unfortunately, what I was thinking. I'll look into the Lexar.

I picked up a VIOFO A119S in the Spring and have noticed an ongoing problem with corrupted files.

The first few files will be fine, proper length (~400-500MB) but then remaining files are 5-10MB and are corrupted. This is using a Transcend High Endurance 32GB micro SD Card.

I thought upgrading the firmware might help (upgraded it, reset all the options and formatted the sd card after) and no luck. I still get mostly corrupted files.

Any thoughts?

Are you utilising the included power supply and cable?

I got it via Adorama Camera (via Amazon). I'm using a 2.1A USB source that I installed in my car a while back which has the USB cable running up the lining. I hadn't thought of it but I can swap out the cable and try that. Also ordered a Lexar high endurance card from Amazon to try.

As per my experience this is a power related issue. Switching to the included cable took care of the corruption issue.

Back