corrupted video files on my FineVu CR-500HD

d550

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve been running my FineVu CR-500HD for about 10 months now- DJ from FineVu USA sent me a replacement after my original unit's motion sensor became faulty. My new camera has been working well, until a few weeks ago, when a very specific error started to occur:

. When the camera switches from parking/motion detection mode back into normal mode, the last motion video it was recording becomes corrupted and unplayable. This happens every time, and only in this particular file (i.e. last recorded motion video as I approach the car, and the camera switches back to normal mode as I start up the car).

The voltage readings in the videos show plenty of charge with no significant fluctuations, so it is not a battery cutoff issue. Any advice on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

I've tested 2 different microSD cards, one Lexar, one SanDisk, both fully re-formatted, both tested with H2TestW, and the results are the same with either. Given that the corruption always happens during that same "transition" from motion to normal video, I think the fault must be with the camera itself. I've read similar complaints on Amazon, pointing to some issue with the camera's internal battery. Anyone have experience with this?

not a model I've ever looked at so can't really offer much advice, I don't think there's too many users on here with them either

Most cases dashcam's video file not playable due to no EOF or "end of file" you'd need to reinsert that microSD in to the camera and play it in the camera.

The G1WH dashcam I always use whenever there's MOV file it can't be played, I'd copy all the good MOV files to the computer retaining the bad file, then play all the supposedly bad MOV files, eject the microSD then I'd be able to play it in the media player or in the computer.

I did some more testing with DJ's help, and the camera's internal battery is dead; basically the same issue reported in the Amazon reviews. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just unlucky, or if these various faults are relatively common with this FineVu model- has anyone else experienced this type of failure?

I have to FineVu 500hd cameras, both with dead internal batteries in less than a year, boomer.

I have to FineVu 500hd cameras, both with dead internal batteries in less than a year, boomer.

Sorry to hear this. As they're less than a year old, the Warranty should cover repair / replacement? I'm assuming you bought them from a USA based seller?

When you replace them, in due course, consider capacitor-based DashCams. Battery-reliant DashCams are not a sensible long-term proposition.

Yes, it was thru a US authorized seller, they offered to replaced the batteries at $30 each. I replaced, one of the cameras with a Lukas Camera, works better so far.

Sorry to hear this. As they're less than a year old, the Warranty should cover repair / replacement? I'm assuming you bought them from a USA based seller?

When you replace them, in due course, consider capacitor-based DashCams. Battery-reliant DashCams are not a sensible long-term proposition.

Hi russ331- is it possible to retrofit a capacitor to this model, or does the dashcam have to be originally designed for one? This battery issue aside, the FineVu CR500HD meets my requirements exactly- high quality video, very compact, and no on-board GPS or monitor so the voltage draw is very low. This last requirement is key, as I run the camera primarily for surveillance while my car is parked. Is there a new capacitor model you'd recommend that meets these specs? Many of the newer cameras seem to have built in LCD monitors and higher voltage draw.

I also have to mention that DJ again offered excellent support- he stands behind the products he sells, and replaced the battery for me, but advised that the internal battery design can be an issue. Based on these posts and the Amazon reviews, I obviously have longevity concerns- seems like it's not a matter of if but when the battery will require replacement again.

Changing from battery to capacitors isn't really practical when the hardware was never designed for it and the firmware doesn't support it

Back