Counterintuitive confusion on Viofo A119 V3 vs A129 Pro Duo - help!

Zeppo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi -

I would really appreciate a little insight! I was in a car accident recently - a lady ran a stop sign and broadsided me while I was stopped in a turn lane. Car was totaled. The police report affirmed her culpability, but I was astonished at her crazy fabrications. Had a few details been different, I might've ended up having to pay my deductible, or who knows, even been unjustly sued by the at-fault party!

Anyway, I decided to buy a front & rear dash cam. My budget is roughly $150 - $260, which rules out BlackVue, but I settled on Viofo after doing lots of reading. I initially thought I'd buy the A129 Pro Duo...I really wanted 4k so I could discern license plates as clearly as possible.

And yet, I keep coming across the opinion that the video quality of the A119 V3 is the same or even superior. Counterintuitive as it sounds because it's 2K, some of the comparison images I've seen seem to corroborate this. So now I'm gravitating towards the A119 V3, especially after reading how 4K cams can overheat, affecting performance/reliability.

I'd love to hear your feedback on:
  1. Would you say the images of the A119 V3 and the A129 Pro Duo 4k are comparable when it comes to fine detail? How could the A119 really be better despite being 2k?
  2. If I go with the A119 V3, what other benefits or upgrades of the A129 Pro would I be missing out on?
  3. I read that for either model, a hardwire kit with low voltage cut off is required for parking mode. I'd love a suggestion on which specific kits might be most compatible. Does Viofo make one?
Thanks so much!

Would you say the images of the A119 V3 and the A129 Pro Duo 4k are comparable when it comes to fine detail? How could the A119 really be better despite being 2k?
Well, they can be compared, so I guess they are comparable, but they are far from identical!

A129 Pro Duo main plus points:
  • The A129 Pro Duo has twice as many pixels on its front view, and infinitely more pixels on its rear view.
  • The A129 Pro has a wider field of view, so things that are off the side of the image on the A119 V3 are clearly visible on the A129 Pro.
  • The A129 Pro has more pixels per number plate, so can read plates at greater distance.
  • The A129 Pro has better colour fidelity and dynamic range, making it better for movie making.
  • The A129 Pro has Wi-Fi and a mobile app.
  • The A129 Pro has an optional Bluetooth remote lock button.

A119 V3 main plus points:
  • The A119 V3 has a more sensitive sensor so can avoid motion blur in darker conditions than the A129 Pro. Not a huge difference, but if you do a lot of driving at dusk then it could easily make the necessary difference.
  • The A119 V3 can cope with significantly higher temperatures, which if you are going to use parking mode in California may well be the deciding factor.
  • The A119 V3 has the option of using HDR on some firmwares, which allows it to read plates in some night time conditions that otherwise would be blurred, however it is debatable if this is a plus overall, especially if you do a lot of daytime driving.

y4m_aFCKv5GjWa0hQgIFAb5WZ7cIGoOvBcBVd-hAevg6sTAh_9xbaNFYD2XRV6aYKb19qPm_3IeOoLCnRZtv9SQWt0FRM21KhBf_Xwew2PDXt8sIxBMeOQ6xWn5aJhV_xqsXkObrkaG1Uw2QLTAY1grlzh5Udr9n5QFC2coSRdRejIkh_4G8WK7ukrxUtXCiuqw

y4mRvnwQsWwG57W82rrmkpLUZbhRK-otqbLJ9Hr8pHiJHJqikT0_47cGUAHo8sKcs9Hei3smWif5gkPqRuON39Yk2_dj9jtmyN7OrhBqQmfEetfi0OO4K49RWK0iOLGqNQJhRkgZGJXvOYgtaDsVy1NgBVpS9nY8arihmY1cjy-aJKzbehtd2MHpGMdKhgzBH0h

y4mD1Sle3zk-0glh527dp4-elGSlYSM3gtGuYS3rkkjS_6I_O9NwCr5zRg5ghQrvG-Z5SVjHpUjIpF3iobUChNYgR0Tj2B_eNBHRtgkiKVF0LhL_CWY6avGIfTkJMv371ceqPkl9iAompaavDKMrST9ph1qQ9Qt8zHynnSe5iByCblj-3hc6tOtJJRvLn6-_Qh1

I'd love a suggestion on which specific kits might be most compatible. Does Viofo make one?
You will want Viofo's HK3 hardwire kit for both of them, not the type C version.

Well, they can be compared, so I guess they are comparable, but they are far from identical!

A129 Pro Duo main plus points:
  • The A129 Pro Duo has twice as many pixels on its front view, and infinitely more pixels on its rear view.
  • The A129 Pro has a wider field of view, so things that are off the side of the image on the A119 V3 are clearly visible on the A129 Pro.
  • The A129 Pro has more pixels per number plate, so can read plates at greater distance.
  • The A129 Pro has better colour fidelity and dynamic range, making it better for movie making.
  • The A129 Pro has Wi-Fi and a mobile app.
  • The A129 Pro has an optional Bluetooth remote lock button.

A119 V3 main plus points:
  • The A119 V3 has a more sensitive sensor so can avoid motion blur in darker conditions than the A129 Pro. Not a huge difference, but if you do a lot of driving at dusk then it could easily make the necessary difference.
  • The A119 V3 can cope with significantly higher temperatures, which if you are going to use parking mode in California may well be the deciding factor.
  • The A119 V3 has the option of using HDR on some firmwares, which allows it to read plates in some night time conditions that otherwise would be blurred, however it is debatable if this is a plus overall, especially if you do a lot of daytime driving.

y4m_aFCKv5GjWa0hQgIFAb5WZ7cIGoOvBcBVd-hAevg6sTAh_9xbaNFYD2XRV6aYKb19qPm_3IeOoLCnRZtv9SQWt0FRM21KhBf_Xwew2PDXt8sIxBMeOQ6xWn5aJhV_xqsXkObrkaG1Uw2QLTAY1grlzh5Udr9n5QFC2coSRdRejIkh_4G8WK7ukrxUtXCiuqw

y4mRvnwQsWwG57W82rrmkpLUZbhRK-otqbLJ9Hr8pHiJHJqikT0_47cGUAHo8sKcs9Hei3smWif5gkPqRuON39Yk2_dj9jtmyN7OrhBqQmfEetfi0OO4K49RWK0iOLGqNQJhRkgZGJXvOYgtaDsVy1NgBVpS9nY8arihmY1cjy-aJKzbehtd2MHpGMdKhgzBH0h

y4mD1Sle3zk-0glh527dp4-elGSlYSM3gtGuYS3rkkjS_6I_O9NwCr5zRg5ghQrvG-Z5SVjHpUjIpF3iobUChNYgR0Tj2B_eNBHRtgkiKVF0LhL_CWY6avGIfTkJMv371ceqPkl9iAompaavDKMrST9ph1qQ9Qt8zHynnSe5iByCblj-3hc6tOtJJRvLn6-_Qh1
Wow, Nigel - that was an incredibly detailed explanation! Way better than any I had found online thus far and very helpful. Thanks so much for your guidance, and for taking the time.

I do have a final question - due to temperature, I think I'll be going with the A119 V3 (as you rightly pointed out, it's the deciding factor in the California sun!). However, I really, really wanted a dual cam because of a specific issue on the road I live on. So if I may impose with two follow-up questions:

1. Is there any way to somehow outfit the A119 V3 with a rear cam, or hack it so that this works?
2. If the A119 V3 can't be coupled with a rear cam, my runner-up from a different brand was the Street Guardian SG9667DC2k. I know it has some drawbacks compared to the A119 V3, but like that they have US based warranties and customer service, unlike some anecdotal tales I've found about lack of support from Viofo. What's your take on the trade-offs with this model, assuming you're familiar with it?

Thanks again; I'm nervous about making the wrong choice and your insight has been invaluable.

Last edited:
Wow, Nigel - that was an incredibly detailed explanation! Way better than any I had found online thus far and very helpful. Thanks so much for your guidance, and for taking the time.

@Nigel has covered 99% of everything you need to know. Just one additional point, if you purchase the A129 Pro Duo, you probably would want to invest in the Front + Rear setup. The camera has 4K front + 1080P Rear Camera - As you stated was a goal. This covers you in the event someone slams into the back of your vehicle. And is a worthwhile investment.

@Nigel has covered 99% of everything you need to know. Just one additional point, if you purchase the A129 Pro Duo, you probably would want to invest in the Front + Rear setup. The camera has 4K front + 1080P Rear Camera - As you stated was a goal. This covers you in the event someone slams into the back of your vehicle. And is a worthwhile investment.

Thanks for your input! Yeah, Nigel was amazing. By "investing in the front + rear setup", you mean the hardwire kit, correct?

The rear camera is vital to me - I live on a lane where the main avenue that leads into it does not have a dedicated turn lane, so people barely managing to break behind you is very common (even if you slow down gradually and put your blinker with extra time, they're used to speeding on that avenue). Almost getting rear-ended is a weekly issue, unfortunately.

My major concern, based on Nigel's feedback and what I've read, is that the 4k of the Pro Duo could make heat an issue, and I worry that the camera wouldn't be filming when I need it to because it's been subject to too much heat. Maybe I'm just psyching myself out based on a few negative reviews on Amazon for the Pro Duo that have been upvoted a lot, so they have a lot visibility.

1. Is there any way to somehow outfit the A119 V3 with a rear cam, or hack it so that this works?
No, the A11x series is 1 channel only.
The A12x series is 2 channel,
and the A13x series is 3 channel.

The A129 Plus Duo is essentially an A119 V3 with 2 channels, you also gain Wi-Fi and the App, plus optional Remote Lock Button. It has the same sensor and processor as the A119, is almost as good on heat since the rear camera does most of the extra work, but it has a somewhat wider field of view, so license plate reading is not as good in that there are less pixels per plate, although there are more plates in the image. The wifi is a bit slow compared to the A129 Pro Duo and A139 Duo which may or may not be an issue (it's much better than no wifi on the A119).

The A139 in 2 channel form (same camera but without the interior camera included in the box), is a rather more advanced dashcam than the A129 Plus, much faster processor and much faster Wi-Fi, also has voice notifications instead of a screen which I really like. It should be rather more expensive but since the cost of LCD screens rocketed there has not been much difference.

If you want to use parking mode with 2 channels in California then A129 Plus Duo is probably the one to go for. Personally I would either choose the A129 Pro 4K and not use parking mode, or go for the A139 in 2 channel version, but we all have different requirements.

my runner-up from a different brand was the Street Guardian SG9667DC2k.
I don't have experience with that one, and it is quite new so not really proven although expected to be good. Not sure support is really proven either since the change in management. I suggest you read through the thread where people have been testing it. I'm expecting it to be a fairly good match to the Viofo A129 Plus Duo, but with the Viofo being more popular and with better firmware additions/fixes/improvements. Not sure what their app is like?

Thanks for your input! Yeah, Nigel was amazing. By "investing in the front + rear setup", you mean the hardwire kit, correct?

The rear camera is vital to me - I live on a lane where the main avenue that leads into it does not have a dedicated turn lane, so people barely managing to break behind you is very common (even if you slow down gradually and put your blinker with extra time, they're used to speeding on that avenue). Almost getting rear-ended is a weekly issue, unfortunately.

My major concern, based on Nigel's feedback and what I've read, is that the 4k of the Pro Duo could make heat an issue, and I worry that the camera wouldn't be filming when I need it to because it's been subject to too much heat. Maybe I'm just psyching myself out based on a few negative reviews on Amazon for the Pro Duo that have been upvoted a lot, so they have a lot visibility.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Front + Rear Setup = Front Camera that connects to a rear camera. In this case, the A129 Pro Duo has a 4K front with a wire feeding back to the rear camera. The front 4k camera is the "Main Unit" that houses the SD card and processes everything. The rear unit (1080P) is connect to the front via a cable.

Viofo cameras tend to be rated for 149C / 65C. So if you are often stuck parking in direct sunlight during California Summers, the camera will shut down in park mode to prevent damage to components. Cracking the windows some may help. None the less, Viofo Park Mode (low bitrate). records at real time on Viofos but lesser quality.

If the above is true (often park in direct sunlight) then I suggest:

1. Viofo A129 DUO (1080P Front + Rear) - This camera is a workhorse.
2. Investing in a Street Guardian. These are stressed tested in Australian Summers

Something like this https://streetguardian.cam/sg9663dr-remote where the main unit isn't placed in the windshield.

The A129 Pro Duo may be an option. I cannot comment on that one's performance on whether or not it'd withstand a hot California Summer.

Last edited:
1. Viofo A129 DUO (1080P Front + Rear) - This camera is a workhorse.
2. Investing in a Street Guardian. These are stressed tested in Australian Summers
No need to compromise on 1080 just for the heat issue. The A119 V3 and A129 Plus Duo will be very nearly as heat proof as your A129 Duo 1080.

And the A139 in 2 channel form should be good, although I believe you had some issues running it with 3 channels in 85 degrees C heat...

No need to compromise on 1080 just for the heat issue. The A119 V3 and A129 Plus Duo will be very nearly as heat proof as your A129 Duo 1080.

And the A139 in 2 channel form should be good, although I believe you had some issues running it with 3 channels in 85 degrees C heat...

The 129 Duo 1080p Front + Rear has never failed on any heat test I run. I don't know how the A129 Pro Duo would perform.

The A139 2 Channel might work being 2k Front + 1080P Rear. However, I Don't know with a black casing and larger surface area if that is better or worse. I know the A139 3 Channel would never survive the desert heat Southern California.

California (if he is in the southern desert half) gets really hot. I've been there before in the summer about 13 years ago. Parking outdoors and running low bitrate recording means he's going to either need to avoid direct sunlight or get a model that generates less heat.

1080P isn't the best option, but it might be the only reliable one? He could of course try out the A129 Duo Plus or A139 2 Channel. Both of those might still work as they are 2K front and 1080P Rear.

As a point of reference: Places like Bakersfield average 33, 37, 36, 33 in June, July, August, and September. So you can only imagine how hot the interior would get!

Last edited:
Thanks all for your truly excellent guidance. So many variables to navigate, but you've illuminated the arena considerably.

For the record, I'm in northern California, north of the SF bay area. Not as scorching as the southern half of the state, but when we experience the rare heatwave, temperatures can rise to 95 F on rare occasion, but heat here usually means about 85 F. It doesn't help that my house doesn't have a garage and the vehicle will be outside.

So at the moment, it's sounding like a toss up between the A120 Plus Duo and the A139 (2 channel), thanks to your input. I'll probably go for the A129 Plus Duo simply because - pardon me for any tech-illiterate assumptions - my understanding is that the front camera has a 60 FPS while the rear has 30. My lay understanding is 60 FPS can help a lot with the clarity of a license plate, rather than having 30 FPS front and 30 rear, which the A139 has. I'm not sure what the calculus is of higher resolution with lower FPS vs good enough resolution with higher frame rate.

Thanks again for the education, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
My lay understanding is 60 FPS can help a lot with the clarity of a license plate, rather than having 30 FPS front and 30 rear, which the A139 has.
A139 also has the option of 60 FPS on the front if it is only recording 2 channels.

Generally I recommend using 30 FPS unless you are movie making. 60 FPS looks smoother, and has almost no affect on license plate readability.

Thanks all for your truly excellent guidance. So many variables to navigate, but you've illuminated the arena considerably.

For the record, I'm in northern California, north of the SF bay area. Not as scorching as the southern half of the state, but when we experience the rare heatwave, temperatures can rise to 95 F on rare occasion, but heat here usually means about 85 F. It doesn't help that my house doesn't have a garage and the vehicle will be outside.

So at the moment, it's sounding like a toss up between the A120 Plus Duo and the A139 (2 channel), thanks to your input. I'll probably go for the A129 Plus Duo simply because - pardon me for any tech-illiterate assumptions - my understanding is that the front camera has a 60 FPS while the rear has 30. My lay understanding is 60 FPS can help a lot with the clarity of a license plate, rather than having 30 FPS front and 30 rear, which the A139 has. I'm not sure what the calculus is of higher resolution with lower FPS vs good enough resolution with higher frame rate.

Thanks again for the education, I appreciate it.

In that case, try the A129 Pro Duo or A139 2 Channel I surmise. But in the summer avoid parking in direct sunlight, otherwise the camera will turn off to preserve itself from failure, when parked. You do want to enable Low Bitrate Parking mode. As mentioned, that records in real time meant for low action (parking lot, someone damaging your car, etc) vs. driving where objects are moving fast.

30 FPS should be fine. As @Nigel said, more FPS does make the video smoother. But we're not dealing with a high velocity action movie. The Higher Resolution (1080p --> 2k or 2k---> 4k) what counts when reading plates. In the daytime, you'll be able to pick up a lot more clarity with a higher resolution. At night, the 1080P will do a bit better than 2k or 4k because the larger pixels of 1080p let in more light.

If you are in a 1 plate state, then it make immense sense to get a 2 channel system, that way your rear camera at least stand a chance of a plate capture on oncoming traffic after it have passed by you.
Regarding front cameras, then true they tend to record the bulk of the WTF going on in traffic, but never forget it also record everything you do, and if you drive nice and within the law, what ever go on off camera can not be your fault.
Regarding doing parking guard in CALI and parking in the sun, i will not have too much faith in a windscreen mounted solution, but i am inclined to think a system like the SG9663DR where you can mount the main unit out of the sun would stand a better chance of getting the job done.
After all the sun hitting a camera body must add a whole lot to the thermal challenge, aside for the blast furnace temperatures already inside the car cabin.

I do have the SG9663DR as it was the last camera sent to be by SG to beat on / test, but i have not been able to do a parking guard / thermal compare to a similar system of conventional design / mounting.
Just my Danish common sense telling me not getting bombarded with sun must be worse than sitting in the shade even if it is hot no matter what.

Will you be installing the camera yourself or having it professionally installed?

If you are doing a DIY Install, you need to pay close attention to your side curtains on a modern car. Almost every modern vehicle has a Side Curtain in the A-Pllar (Beams near your front windshield). The Trim needs removed and cables routed behind the curtain. Cable #1 = Front to Rear Cable. Cable #2 = Hardwire Kit / Power Cord. From there you can choose to route along the floorboard or along the doors via the Weatherstripping.

If you drive a Sedan, you'll likely have another curtain in the C-Pillar (Pillar to Back Windshield) needing removed to route cable behind the side curtain. If you drive an SUV or a Station Wagon, this varies depending on model. What doesn't vary is that you have to route cable through the grommet leading up to the windshield.

Installing properly is an involved process. Somewhere on here, I made a very detailed thread about it.

If you have things professionally installed, I believe around $300 or $400 USD would be a ballpark from what I've read here. Most people want a reputable Audio / Video shop to do the work. Someone that understands how to properly tap into the vehicle fuses and route the cables without impeding safety systems.

If you do yourself, there are plenty of guides on here.

Here's 2 How To Threads I created. Watch Videos from Youtube.

Last edited:
If you are in a 1 plate state, then it make immense sense to get a 2 channel system, that way your rear camera at least stand a chance of a plate capture on oncoming traffic after it have passed by you.
Regarding front cameras, then true they tend to record the bulk of the WTF going on in traffic, but never forget it also record everything you do, and if you drive nice and within the law, what ever go on off camera can not be your fault.
Regarding doing parking guard in CALI and parking in the sun, i will not have too much faith in a windscreen mounted solution, but i am inclined to think a system like the SG9663DR where you can mount the main unit out of the sun would stand a better chance of getting the job done.
After all the sun hitting a camera body must add a whole lot to the thermal challenge, aside for the blast furnace temperatures already inside the car cabin.

I do have the SG9663DR as it was the last camera sent to be by SG to beat on / test, but i have not been able to do a parking guard / thermal compare to a similar system of conventional design / mounting.
Just my Danish common sense telling me not getting bombarded with sun must be worse than sitting in the shade even if it is hot no matter what.
I'm curious about your mention of a windscreen mounted solution vs the Street Guardian one, which is out of the sun. Could you kindly elaborate on the difference? I figured they'd all be mounted on windscreens; where/how are the out of the sun models mounted, and what's that called so I can identify when that's the case? Thanks!

Is it me or does this woman's facial expressions say Bugger Off you Twat. I don't appreciate my picture being taken. She definitely looks unhappy!

Will you be installing the camera yourself or having it professionally installed?

If you are doing a DIY Install, you need to pay close attention to your side curtains on a modern car. Almost every modern vehicle has a Side Curtain in the A-Pllar (Beams near your front windshield). The Trim needs removed and cables routed behind the curtain. Cable #1 = Front to Rear Cable. Cable #2 = Hardwire Kit / Power Cord. From there you can choose to route along the floorboard or along the doors via the Weatherstripping.

If you drive a Sedan, you'll likely have another curtain in the C-Pillar (Pillar to Back Windshield) needing removed to route cable behind the side curtain. If you drive an SUV or a Station Wagon, this varies depending on model. What doesn't vary is that you have to route cable through the grommet leading up to the windshield.

Installing properly is an involved process. Somewhere on here, I made a very detailed thread about it.

If you have things professionally installed, I believe around $300 or $400 USD would be a ballpark from what I've read here. Most people want a reputable Audio / Video shop to do the work. Someone that understands how to properly tap into the vehicle fuses and route the cables without impeding safety systems.

If you do yourself, there are plenty of guides on here.

Here's 2 How To Threads I created. Watch Videos from Youtube.

Oh, I can barely install my socks on my feet, so I'd definitely have to pay a professional. An extra $300 hurts, but I'm just that hopeless.

I'm curious about your mention of a windscreen mounted solution vs the Street Guardian one, which is out of the sun. Could you kindly elaborate on the difference? I figured they'd all be mounted on windscreens; where/how are the out of the sun models mounted, and what's that called so I can identify when that's the case? Thanks!

I believe something along those lines. The cameras themselves are in the window, but the main unit that handles processing the videos along with storing the sd card is away from the direct sun. A hot sun will heat up the main unit which results in thermal shutdown in hotter climates. Which is why it's best to avoid parking in direct sunlight while parking mode records if possible. Which lets face it, isn't always an option as you park outdoors where you find a parking spot!

Back