Counterintuitive confusion on Viofo A119 V3 vs A129 Pro Duo - help!

You still only lose one channel, whereas with a 2 or 3 channel camera you lose all your recordings when you get a freeze.

Also, the A119 V3 gives you QHD video front and rear which most dual and triple cameras can't manage, and very few cameras can manage the video quality of the A119 V3 anyway.

Plus you don't need to install video cable front to rear, only need to find some local power front and rear.

All that you are really missing is the convenience of a single memory card with almost synchronised video files, Wi-Fi, and a Bluetooth remote lock button.

You do get a startup sound, so you know the camera is still working. It is only if it freezes during a journey that you lose a bit of video, and most faults are detected and issue an audio warning or shutdown sound to make you aware. As Dashmellow suggests, the A119 V3 is one of the most reliable dashcams available, and has less problems with difficult memory cards than most. If you want a reliable system then dual A119 V3 is a good choice.

This is a good post Nigel. It covers most of the salient points. I just want to explain one thing I slightly disagree with that you mentioned about synchronizing the front a rear camera if one uses a two camera approach .

All that you are really missing is the convenience of a single memory card with almost synchronised video files

I have both V3 cameras connected to the same power source and so they tend to boot up precisely at the same moment. All in all you end up with fairly well synchronized front and rear videos. It can indeed be a little off but a small incremental adjustment in post processing can make it precise or at least very close to precise if one needs to.

Normally a card failure will result in a beeping alert, so you will definitely notice!

I prefer the 2 channel setup, but having a rear A119 V3 is a good choice, and it means the A139 can do front, left and right :)

It is not hard to check an A119, just lift it off its mount, take it into the house and plug it into the computer. Unlike the multi-channel dashcams there are no cables to slow things down, it only takes a second to remove it and a couple of seconds to replace it.

In the majority of cases, the camera will beep if there's an issue. I can't speak for the V3 personally, but firmware and software bugs can result in less than predictable behavior. Along with an SD card becoming flaky.

By no means am I alluding to the regular occurrence, but pointing out a mere shortcoming of running independent cameras. The "Set it and Forget It" may result in not checking the camera frequently. And finding out the one time you needed it, it hasn't been working.

Simple food for thought.

On the flip side, running two individual cameras will afford higher definition captures, since each camera isn't dependent on one another.

No, there are no absolutes, HonestReview, just likelihoods. Longtime hands on expereince with the V3 demonstrates that it is unlikely to freeze-up during operation compared to other cameras. For the very same reasons I use the V3 as a secondary camera, I make a point of choosing a high quality, reliable memory card.

Speaking of "working in absolutes" it is always remarkable how you project your behavior onto others. You've asserted that people should not entertain the notion of using two cameras for a variety of hypothetical reasons and personal preferences, including your new claim that the rear camera is "out of sight and out of mind" which is not by any means true, as I explained above about regularly observing it in the rear view mirror and listen to its audio alerts.

Did I? I simply stated the counterpoint of using two individual cameras. But we all know you love twisting other's words. Like that last thread you got locked for being wrong.

Please paste to me where I stated never use two individual cameras. Waiting......

If you want redundancy, you run two systems in TANDEM not individually. I.E. I run A129 Duo (Front + Rear) and an A139 3 Channel (Front + Rear + Interior). It's less than likely both will fail at the same time. Much different than running One A119 V3 in the Front and One A119 V3 in the rear. Where if either one fails, you've lost coverage for the Front or Rear.

And, as you point out, redundancy can be quite useful.

Google Redundancy. You clearly do not understand the word's meaning.

The fact remains that using two separate cameras is quite a viable option compared to a dual channel camera. When members and visitors here are presented with the facts, they can reach their own conclusions and make their own decisions about how to proceed if indeed they want a rear camera.

Personally, I've been using two separate cameras for front and rear coverage for nine years now. So, I've had some experience with this. FWIW, I was the first person on the forum to begin dabbling with rear and side cameras a long, long time before dual channel cameras became a reality. At the time, no one else had considered the idea, as dash cams were a pretty new product category back then. Initially it was a fun experiment in repurposing older retired cameras but I soon found the concept of rear and side cameras to be indispensable. For many years I relied on a Mobius camera in the rear because of its high performance, and absolute bullet proof reliability. Since then, the A119 V3 has been the only other camera I've tried that is equally up to the task.

As usual, HonestReview, your replies, like this one for example, are filled with innuendo, traducement and aspersion. As we have all learned by regular observation you are someone who is incapable of having a friendly, intelligent debate or discussion without engaging in such behavior. And typically, you will escalate matters until you get the thread locked as you have done on three recent occasions, all the while trying to blame me or others for the outcome.

Once again, inciting, instigating, and always the "victim"... Where did I say running two cameras individually was categorically wrong? Oh, right I didn't.

Funny. Last I checked, any time someone proves you wrong or challenges your point of view, you run to the mods and report the thread. So hard to have a debate when someone throws a temper tantrum that stifles the exchange of information.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has gone off topic.
Apologies to @Zeppo for the confusion.

Google Redundancy. You clearly do not understand the word's meaning.

Perhaps an apology to @Dashmellow

Please read the rest of the definition of redundancy

" ENGINEERING
the inclusion of extra components which are not strictly necessary to functioning, in case of failure in other components.
"a high degree of redundancy is built into the machinery installation"
"

Please return to the topic.

Thanks.

This thread has gone off topic.
Apologies to @Zeppo for the confusion.

Perhaps an apology to @Dashmellow

Please read the rest of the definition of redundancy

" ENGINEERING
the inclusion of extra components which are not strictly necessary to functioning, in case of failure in other components.
"a high degree of redundancy is built into the machinery installation"
"

Please return to the topic.

Thanks.

And yet, that's now how I read @Dashmellow's reply. Redundancy would be you running for example 2x A129 Pros (Front + Rear). So if one of the dual channel cameras fail, you have a 2nd one to still to reply upon.

@Dashmellow statement seems to allude to the fact he uses a single independent front camera and a single independent rear camera. That's not redundancy. If the front were to fail, then nothing is recording. If the rear were to fail, then nothing is recording.

Unlike the above example where you have 2 x Front and 2X rear. So no, by what he states, it doesn't sound like he understand the meaning of redundancy.

Well then, I will make you aware that I have a Viofo A119 v2 that I had to replace because it began silently stopping its recording. I would find only the beginnings of my trips recorded. It would stop after about 30 minutes sometimes.
I replaced it with two A129 pro cameras. Why two cameras? Redundancy. It is very unlikely they will both fail at the same time.
All cameras can fail. I feel it is better not to have a single point of failure than to have the convenience of all the video synchronized on a single memory card.

And @Dashmellow's reply.

Personally, I've been using two separate cameras for front and rear coverage for nine years now.

@Zeppo

Pretty much you've got to decide the setup that fits your needs and skill level the best.

1. If you are capable of installing or having installed a 2 channel (Front + Rear) or 3 Channel (Front + Rear + Interior), this is probably the most ideal configuration. Where you can monitor from the driver's seat any point of failure by checking the camera through its intranet wifi or the screen.

2. If you are uncomfortable with installating dash cameras yourself, then the two individual cameras would be a reasonable approach. As @Nigel pointed out, you get the benefit of the highest quality setting by running cameras individually. Of course this approach has drawbacks.

A. If you intend to hardwire, you are hardwiring two individual cameras to the fuse box or a battery pack in order to achieve parking mode. Versus a a Front + Rear Camera (2 Channel) or Front + Rear + Interior Camera (3 Channel) work off a single hardwire by being connected to one another through a cable. If you intend to not have parking mode and use the 12V adapter, you're going to need to pretty much undertake the same cable management methodology as a hardwire to keep a wires from dangling inside the cabin.

B. It's easy to forget to check the rear camera and assume it's working.

Again, each one of these solutions has its tradeoffs. Breaks down to what works best for you.

I just want to explain one thing I slightly disagree with that you mentioned about synchronizing the front a rear camera if one uses a two camera approach .

I think many and probably most people who go for two single cameras will have poorly synchronised files, either because the rear is an A118 and the front is an A119 V3, or because they are plugged into seperate power sources one of which turns off while starting the engine, or both.

I've certainly noticed the issue when editing files, when I've wanted to use the superior quality footage from the A119 V3 instead of the FHD wide angle footage from an A129 rear. The two cameras take different times to start up. If it only needs a second or two adjustment then it is probably not a big issue, but when an event spans two files, it can be inconvenient.

If one of my V3s should fail when I am out on the road, like you I can swap one for the other instantly if I needed to, at least to insure that I still have a working primary front camera until I get home. For the same reason, I always travel with spare memory cards.
It also means you have memory card redundancy even if you forget to take your spare cards; a failed card in the primary camera can be replaced by that from the secondary.

As usual, HonestReview, your replies, like this one for example, are filled with innuendo, traducement and aspersion. As we have all learned by regular observation you are someone who is incapable of having a friendly, intelligent debate or discussion without engaging in such behavior. And typically, you will escalate matters until you get the thread locked as you have done on three recent occasions, all the while trying to blame me or others for the outcome.
Seems like a very accurate description of yourself!
You do not help the forum by acting in this way.

I think many and probably most people who go for two single cameras will have poorly synchronised files, either because the rear is an A118 and the front is an A119 V3, or because they are plugged into seperate power sources one of which turns off while starting the engine, or both.

I've certainly noticed the issue when editing files, when I've wanted to use the superior quality footage from the A119 V3 instead of the FHD wide angle footage from an A129 rear. The two cameras take different times to start up. If it only needs a second or two adjustment then it is probably not a big issue, but when an event spans two files, it can be inconvenient.

It also means you have memory card redundancy even if you forget to take your spare cards; a failed card in the primary camera can be replaced by that from the secondary.

Power source is a major issue on two cameras, especially if these setups are independent of one another. Consider using a single A119 V3 in the front and A119 V3 in the rear window. The front power source can be the 12v socket or a hardwire to fuse box. Proper cable management to hide the cable or letting the cord dangle to reach the 12v socket. As not everyone has the experience to install and hide cables. And we definitely don't want people tucking wires over their A-Pillar obstructing airbags.

Rear Camera - Now this is the problem. There's no easily accessible power source. So for a Novice, you either have a wire dangling from the rear window to the 12v socket. Obviously not a great choice. Or you have to remove trim to cable manage this wire to X power source. Again, avoiding all airbags.

If one is experienced properly routes to the fuse box for a hardwire, you have 2 x cameras (front + rear) piggy backing 4 fuses. Ideally, these cameras will boot at same time when the engine starts. However, I know for my A129 Duo and A139 3 Channel, both cameras boot at their own interval when I start the engine. Maybe this delayed booting wouldn't be the case if the cameras were the same. Not sure.

But ultimately, if these two cameras run asynchronously, timestamps won't match up exactly.

@Dashmellow ran to the mods again. Go figure. Anytime this guy is "called out" for inaccuracies or given a counterpoint to an argument that conflicts with his viewpoint, he reports users and gets a thread locked. He's done it to your threads, my threads, and everyone else's. Gets tiring.

@Dashmellow statement seems to allude to the fact he uses a single independent front camera and a single independent rear camera. That's not redundancy. If the front were to fail, then nothing is recording. If the rear were to fail, then nothing is recording.
I would contend that it is redundancy. Even if the dead camera did not record the other car, the remaining camera still recorded the audio, and what your car was doing. I was rear ended once with a dead rear camera. The remaining front camera still showed me coming to a smooth stop behind a truck that stopped suddenly, and the audio clearly demonstrated the several seconds of delay between the time I was stopped and the time I got rear ended, and the second bump as he got rear ended as well.
The brakes in your car have redundancy. They have two separate systems. When one system fails, the brakes don't work as well, but they still work. There is even a third system on some cars often called a parking brake that can be used when both main systems fail. Redundancy does not require complete duplicate systems, only that it retains some functionality when some part of the system fails.

On another subject, I intentionally de-syncronize my cameras. There is a boot delay in the A129 pro that can be configured differently for the two cameras. This means the startup sound happens at different times so I know both cameras booted. It also means that the file boundaries occur at different times. This helps with a common problem in many cameras of a several second gap between files.

On a third subject, can we please drop the personal attacks? They don't add anything to this discussion.

I would contend that it is redundancy. Even if the dead camera did not record the other car, the remaining camera still recorded the audio, and what your car was doing. I was rear ended once with a dead rear camera. The remaining front camera still showed me coming to a smooth stop behind a truck that stopped suddenly, and the audio clearly demonstrated the several seconds of delay between the time I was stopped and the time I got rear ended, and the second bump as he got rear ended as well.

Let me elaborate. Again, I have two redundant systems in my car.

System #1 - Viofo A139. Front + Rear + Interior Cam
System #2 - Viofo A129 - Front + Rear Camera

Redundancy is if either the Front, Rear, or the entire system fails in camera #1 or Camera #2, I have a second backup capturing what I lost from System #1 or System #2 failing. Of course, if System #1 failed, I don't have redundancy with the interior camera.

The Audio is only a partial piece to the puzzle. It won't explain how the accident occurred, only that you were in an accident. Rear end accidents are straight forward for the most part. Generally, if someone hits the back of your car, it's usually their fault with exceptions (see below).

Now had your accident been forward facing, the audio wouldn't have done you much good. Consider if your front camera failed, and someone pulled into traffic cutting you off. You weren't able to stop and hit their car. The other drive will claim (if no witnesses), "I was in the lane and the driver who rear ended me failed to stop". Clearly your fault, because you hit the back of my car.

But wait, with a dashcam video, you can say, AHA but that isn't true. The other driving is lying. In fact, that driver pulled out into traffic, cutting me off, and I was unable to brake in time to avoid hitting him. Video = Good Argument. Audio = Dead in the water. Hearing the crash won't help you.

The brakes in your car have redundancy. They have two separate systems. When one system fails, the brakes don't work as well, but they still work. There is even a third system on some cars often called a parking brake that can be used when both main systems fail. Redundancy does not require complete duplicate systems, only that it retains some functionality when some part of the system fails.

On another subject, I intentionally de-syncronize my cameras. There is a boot delay in the A129 pro that can be configured differently for the two cameras. This means the startup sound happens at different times so I know both cameras booted. It also means that the file boundaries occur at different times. This helps with a common problem in many cameras of a several second gap between files.

On a third subject, can we please drop the personal attacks? They don't add anything to this discussion.

Cars have two braking systems. A regular braking system and emergency brakes. This is a poor analogy to make your point, because it's not like if your brakes fail, you are now unable to stop.

In fact your analogy proves my point about running two separate Front + Rear systems ( Per my example: Viofo A129 and A139). If either braking system fails (normal or emergency), you still have brakes.

Per de-synchronizing, not the end of the world. Even if the two cameras don't match up, capturing the video is the most important piece. But yes, if you wanted to side by side the two videos, there will generally be some sort of delay in the timestamps.

Last edited:
You sound like the pot calling the kettle black, Nigel, considering how often during your time here on the forum you’ve spent nation bashing and making derogatory and disparaging remarks about the peoples, individuals, cultures and governments of other countries, particularly the USA, all the while offering up hollow boasts about the UK’s alleged prowess and superiority. Certainly, this hardly benefits the atmosphere on the forum in any way and you are literally the only member here who does this.

And recently, you made a gratuitous and rather disparaging remark about me personally out of the blue that was removed after you to tried unsuccessfully to relaunch a divisive thread of yours that had been closed. So, please don't lecture me about what's helpful to the forum.

Last edited:
Back