Couple of "Bike moments" in Preston

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
First one a kid on a bike, not so obvious as it's off to the left, about 10 seconds in...

Secondly watch this motorbike overtake me and others quite quickly despite there being limited room with parked cars all down the left and with oncoming traffic as well as a car turning off to the right (bet he barely saw that one!) before cutting in ahead and taking a left hand turn at the traffic lights

Last edited:
I think if you aim that camera more down the streets will be brighter in the footage, and probably the sky will get more overexposed but to me that dont matter.

I think if you aim that camera more down the streets will be brighter in the footage, and probably the sky will get more overexposed but to me that dont matter.

Lower the viewpoint (which will show more of the dashboard and less of the sky)?

yes. It looks as if the camera metering focus more on the bright sky and so make the darker parts darker, it would be better the other way around as it is after all from street level most dangers come.

yes. It looks as if the camera metering focus more on the bright sky and so make the darker parts darker, it would be better the other way around as it is after all from street level most dangers come.

Point taken.

Will give it a try m8.

Lower the viewpoint (which will show more of the dashboard and less of the sky)?
Yes, the bright(er) sky causes the rest of the video to be underexposed.

Edit: I shouldn't start reading a thread and then wait 5 or 6 minutes to reply. Note to self: Refresh before reply. :p

It is somewhat counterintuitive to have so much of the dash and bonnet of the car in view in the footage, but it is from a metering perspective a good idea.

And you can always experiment turning the camera a little up and down until you reach your preferred result.

Most find around 40% sky a good place to be but there are variables so experiment- your results could be quite different :eek: Also play with exposure settings- sometimes that can make a big difference; sometimes not ;) And look at clips in all the lighting conditions you normally drive in. Sometimes you have to be slightly away from optimum to compensate for something really bad to make the cam useful at all then.

From what I saw, I'd have felt OK on the motorcycle but it was cutting away at the safety margin. Maybe the rider was in a hurry- I hope that's not their "normal" :rolleyes: On many bikes you can see over the top of most cars which can equal a huge increase in warning times if you use that extra vision correctly. Many car-only drivers have never thought of that. Regardless that rider was definitely exceeding the law in many ways and not being considerate to the cars around him :(

Phil

Back