Couple questions on the A119 v3 before I purchase

You're right about the latest Jenoptic Specs average speed, no radar will spot them. I guess radar is also useless against the latest motorway Hadecs 3 cameras.
I think those still use radar so are detectable, but the mobile and police ones use lasers and a laser detector is generally too late by the time you have reacted and slowed down, so using a Detector in the UK doesn't really solve the problem. A location warning works well in most places, and even though the camera is quite likely not there, they are all in places of danger so it is good to slow down anyway.

Laser jammers work, but they can also get you locked up! If you really want to drive fast, go on a track day, or an off road rally.

Do radar detectors work with Gatso/Truvelo/Specs and Hadecs fixed cameras ? These are now the majority devices, especially the Jenoptic average speed cameras that are appearing almost weekly in the UK.

My suggestion, in the UK, is still the Speedtrap Alert phone app.
Most of those are used as fixed cams. Some of them only use electrical road strips plus cameras, no radar signals. Your speed = distance between strips / time. Our eyes can detect them (usually too late to act). It looks like that Gasto uses combination of radar and strips. Others use radar only. The “disadvantage” of these unmanned radar cams is that they transmit radar signal constantly. They can be easily detected by a high-end radar detector. My detector tells me those MRCD (low-powered MultaRadar) all the time. For location database, radar detector gives warning of cams only based on GPS location, not by detecting radar signal.

Waze is a better solution as it's dynamic, any of the ones that just use a database end up with heaps of false positives as the mobile cameras keep relocating, my Kenwood head unit has this function, ended up turning it off when there are more false alerts than real ones
There are reports that some Waze users faked locations and police deleted real locations (of their hiding places). A commercial source of location database should be more reliable, even though they are not in real-time and not for mobile traps.

The live update we got here on the speedtrap APP, sometimes also not 100% as people seen a trap but then they have to get phone out and then report it a Km down the road.
But it is our only option as 90% of all speed monitoring are done by mobile vans.

The geniuses here now want to mitigate road noise with fixed speed cameras, with the notion that cars speeding make more noise.
I LOL at that and think, lower the MAX noise level from 90 DB to 70 and ban sales of aftermarket exhausts and most important get more cops and DB meters in their cars = problem solved.
I also have my scanner on while I am driving. It is legal to use a scanner here. My first priority is radar detector, then scanner.

I think those still use radar so are detectable, but the mobile and police ones use lasers and a laser detector is generally too late by the time you have reacted and slowed down, so using a Detector in the UK doesn't really solve the problem. A location warning works well in most places, and even though the camera is quite likely not there, they are all in places of danger so it is good to slow down anyway.

Laser jammers work, but they can also get you locked up! If you really want to drive fast, go on a track day, or an off road rally.
Laser jammer is legal in most parts of US. Radar detector is not for laser detection as early warning. However, laser guns are much more expensive than radar guns. Laser guns are more difficult to operate and cannot use it in a moving vehicle.

We Danes cant have things like that, TBH 10 tings more to the list of things we Danes can not have, and we are on par with Soviet Russia of the day. :cry:

a sure way to avoid speed cameras is readily available and rather low tech, don't speed ;)
You are right that we should not drive over the speed limit. However, in real life, the safest way of driving is to stay in the traffic flow, too fast or too slow could be dangerous. There are reports that police are given quotes of issuing speeding tickets, in other words, additional revenue/tax collection quotes. There were stories that unmanned speed cams issued speeding tickets to a string of “speeding” vehicles. In some jurisdiction, the posted speed limit is “under optimal conditions” speed. Theoretically, police could still issue speeding ticket for driving under the posted speed limit if the (such as road) conditions are not under “optimal”.

Ahh to be one of these people who has the spare cash to buy a new or even newish car.

Alas, that's not me.

I'll look out that phone app. Thanks. For my usual route it's not a bother but for anywhere new it could be handy.

Back