Covert home security camera needed

Phoenix1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, my friend is pretty sure that her landlord is entering her apartment when she is not home. This is called trespassing and is very disturbing to her, and it's disturbing to me too because it means her safety is at risk.

She need a covert camera to capture evidence of this.

There are many many covert cameras out there but many of them seem to be junk quality. I want to get something that's high quality, even if it isn't cheap.

Does anyone have some good suggestions? Should be covert or small enough to hide, and should be motion-sensitive.

Thanks

Phoenix1 said:
Hi, my friend is pretty sure that her landlord is entering her apartment when she is not home. This is called trespassing and is very disturbing to her, and it's disturbing to me too because it means her safety is at risk.

There are many many covert cameras out there but many of them seem to be junk quality. I want to get something that's high quality, even if it isn't cheap.

Does anyone have some good suggestions? Should be covert or small enough to hide, and should be motion-sensitive.

Thanks
Two choices, laptop (because it's silent) with suitable monitoring program like this, can use internal or external camera.
http://www.gotchanow.com/text/g30f.html
Or, since you asked here, maybe some dashcam.
Some of these cameras have so called parking mode, it should take picture/video when detecting movements.
Other option is have almost any of these cameras, use 720 resolution and 32 gigabyte memory card and record hole day straight, with that combination recording time is more than 8 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sabe said:
Phoenix1 said:

Thanks
Two choices, laptop (because it's silent) with suitable monitoring program like this, can use internal or external camera.
http://www.gotchanow.com/text/g30f.html
Or, since you asked here, maybe some dashcam.
Some of these cameras have so called parking mode, it should take picture/video when detecting movements.
Other option is have almost any of these cameras, use 720 resolution and 32 gigabyte memory card and record hole day straight, with that combination recording time is more than 8 hours.
Choose the second one, i suggest.. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Phoenix1 said:

Thanks

I am agree with you, She needs safety. But I think idea of using covert cameras is not good. Instead of this you can use mobile phone. It is small and save your purpose as well.

Don't forget non-technological methods.

In the first instance, I'd look at ascertaining whether or not anybody is entering. It'll save sifting through 8hours or more of video for a start.

Rig up a tell-tale. Simplest is a small length of fine thread stuck to the door and the frame. Make it just long enough for you to to attach it through a crack in the door.
If anybody has entered, the thread will no longer be attached. Just remember to open the door carefully and check it's status.

If that shows there is activity, then camera use is the next step...either that or find a big burly bloke to house-sit!

nadim2810 said:
Phoenix1 said:

Thanks

I am agree with you, She needs safety. But I think idea of using covert cameras is not good. Instead of this you can use mobile phone. It is small and save your purpose as well.

I am also agree with both of you , I think the covert camera is also good idea. if you have any issue with it and you want a small products then you should use a spy camera which available in a pen, hat, cigarette and many thing. you can chose which you want.

I think your friend must hire any security company that will provide him security monitoring and also some of them have their own security devices.In this way he get the alert when some one try to enter in his apartment and also he can get the recording from that security monitoring company.And they charge you a small amount of money as their monthly monitoring fee.

some solutions:
1. use a hidden camera, like clock camera, pen camera and so on.
2. use wifi camera, you can watch the video on phone via WIFI.
3. use 5.8G wireless camera and transmitter, you can watch and record the video on a receive, but the distance is limited.

Hi, my friend is pretty sure that her landlord is entering her apartment when she is not home. This is called trespassing and is very disturbing to her, and it's disturbing to me too because it means her safety is at risk. She need a covert camera to capture evidence of this. Does anyone have some good suggestions? Should be covert or small enough to hide, and should be motion-sensitive. Thanks

I'd suggest one of these network cameras. D-Link 930L You're in the US and this camera is $40USD on Amazon.com. It's a wifi camera and operates in two modes at the same time: 1) detects motion and posts still photos off-site as it has it's own FTP server built in, 2) using a smartphone or web browser on a PC, you can connect remotely and view real-time video and hear audio from work or another apartment. Left unattended, it'll capture still photos with time and date of anyone entering the apartment. It can send email alerts too when motion is detected and you/your friend can log in to view in real time. The advantage is the evidence can be posted off-site and be independent of the camera.

It's not tiny but if you put it in with other items on a shelf, it'll go unnoticed. If you put it at the far side of the room from the main door, then it'll capture images long before the land lord notices it, by then it's too late. The camera body is about 4" high. Bury it among plush toys or things on a shelf or cut a hole in something and just expose the lens. It needs AC power though.

Some other ideas from James Bond: the hair or thread trick, wet a hair and paste it across the door. If opened, the hair will be displaced. Another Bond trick is to sprinkle a light coating of talcum powder or baking flour on the floor, you'll capture foot prints. Then you can do the CSI trick and compare the print to other known shoe prints of the land lord.

Depending on what the conditions of the rental agreement are - has she thought about a dog?
Very good for security. Sometimes small dogs can be more of a deterrent than a big one, also would act as company if needs be. However not such a good idea if out most of the time.

Back