COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is ridiculous. It's a cult, his followers blindly use and promote what ever his company dishes out. It will sell, regardless.

I've never put much faith in ayurvedic medicine but my friend believed it could cure and especially prevent most health issues. Some of the herbs used in the practice have been shown to have certain medical benefits though such as ashwagandha, although people attribute all kinds of benefits to the herb that don't exist or have yet to be proven in clinical studies. I see that ashwagandha is one of the ingredients in the alleged COVID cure.

When I developed some osteoarthritis my friend said that if she has met me sooner she could have prevented it from happening in the first place by balancing my vata, pitta and kapha. I think it happened because it tends to run in my family, but what do I know?

Last edited:
I've never put much faith in ayurvedic medicine but my friend believed it could cure and especially prevent most health issues. Some of the herbs used in the practice have been shown to have certain medical benefits though such ashwagandha, although people attribute all kinds of benefits to the herb that don't exist or have yet to be proven in clinical studies. I see that ashwagandha is one of the ingredients in the alleged COVID cure.

When I developed some osteoarthritis my friend said that if she has met me sooner she could have prevented it from happening in the first place by balancing my vata, pitta and kapha. I think it happened because it tends to run in my family, but what do I know?

Our family doctor (ex-army, retired old-fart) prescribes my mother an Ayurvedic medicine once in a while, (in an addition to her regular medication). But mostly for stuff like improving appetite and bowel movement. I've always thought of it to be harmless.

Hope your osteoarthritis is better.

Our family doctor (ex-army, retired old-fart) prescribes my mother an Ayurvedic medicine once in a while, (in an addition to her regular medication). But mostly for stuff like improving appetite and bowel movement. I've always thought of it to be harmless.

Hope your osteoarthritis is better.

Thanks for the good wishes about my arthritis. I discovered long ago that vigorous exercise, stretching and keeping fit is the BEST drug. If I feel pain, I get a good workout, the pain goes away and I feel back to normal. I have a couple of friends with back trouble and problems similar to mine and they sit on their couches popping ibuprofen like candy and they never get any better.

Ayurvedic medicine can have its place as an ancillary treatment to Allopathic medicine but it is more of a tonic, I think. Relying on it alone is just foolish. The same can be said of quite a few alternative pseudoscientific practices like homeopathy but some alternative approaches can be quite beneficial like biologic and nutritional medicine. In fact, I had a doctor who is a world renowned surgeon who once cured me of a syndrome nobody else could even diagnose by putting me on a special diet and prescribing various minerals and nutritional supplements. Some of what he prescribed was made by a compounding pharmacist he worked with. It took a few months but the symptoms slowly subsided and never came back.

Thanks for the good wishes about my arthritis. I discovered long ago that vigorous exercise, stretching and keeping fit is the BEST drug. If I feel pain, I get a good workout, the pain goes away and I feel back to normal. I have a couple of friends with back trouble and problems similar to mine and they sit on their couches popping ibuprofen like candy and they never get any better.

Ayurvedic medicine can have its place as an ancillary treatment to Allopathic medicine but it is more of a tonic, I think. Relying on it alone is just foolish. The same can be said of quite a few alternative pseudoscientific practices like homeopathy but some alternative approaches can be quite beneficial like biologic and nutritional medicine. In fact, I had a doctor who is a world renowned surgeon who once cured me of a syndrome nobody else could even diagnose by putting me on a special diet and prescribing various minerals and nutritional supplements. Some of what he prescribed was made by a compounding pharmacist he worked with. It took a few months but the symptoms slowly subsided and never came back.

That's good to hear.

Yeah, keeping fit and ailments away is the goal. Started running over a month back, after many years. Last I did it was to lose weight.

I assume that does mean that after you leave the church, you will be cured of covid-19, as long as you stayed at least 10 minutes? :cool:
I have to ask...Does the cure involve holy water?

I have to ask...Does the cure involve holy water?
Might have more chance of working if it did!

So he packed a 3000 capacity church with around 4000 people, almost none wearing masks, social distancing of zero mm (many people with arms around others), no fire marshals to tell us the real numbers, in a city which appears to be the virus capital of the world, and then he preached to them for 93 minutes, stopping every sentence for the crowd to cheer, shout support, stand up and clap, spreading virus everywhere, well over two hours with the support acts.

We know that in the past that churches have managed to infect 80% of those present when everyone has been singing, really no reason to think that there won't be 3000 new infections from last night, 9000 by the end of the week 30,000 in two weeks time, as a result of Trump's visit.

Someone needs to quarranteen the whole congregation and stop the spread, because with the rate of infection before the event, the health system was already going to be overloaded by the time yesterdays infections reach hospital.

As for doing something useful, well Oxford has given up on trying to get USA "Operation Warp Speed" to test their vaccine within a reasonable time period, so has now signed up South Africa in addition to Brazil and they are both already started, no stupid delays!

Back home we don't have enough infections to do useful research, so have been using mice and pigs to work out how to best use the vaccine, apparently with good results:

I wonder if the USA supply of vaccine was dependent on them completing trails in a reasonable time? Obviously Brazil and South Africa now deserve to be 2nd in the queue, especially with Brazil also setting up for manufacture. Listening to Dr Fauci yesterday, it did seem like USA is going for a homemade USA vaccine, due sometime next year, which quite likely won't work. He was also preparing for a 2nd wave due sometime in the "fall", doesn't seem to realise the problem he has right now. Meanwhile Trump is preparing to end the covid-19 emergency because all the new cases are due to "too much testing", proven in his tweet by a graph showing that death rates are currently falling. It appeared during his preaching last night that Trump believes that he is immune, suspect he may have caught the virus a while ago and that was the reason for him starting on hydroxychloroquine a few weeks ago, and for everyone around him to suddenly start wearing masks! He didn't bother with isolation like everyone else.

Last edited:
I think he'll have zero cases reported from this event by using his new method of controlling the outbreak, don't test anyone :ROFLMAO:
The opposite of Australia where the testers grab everyone they can, and still struggle to find anyone positive.

A Shocked CNN taking in the consequences:

"USA has kinda given up on managing coronavirus", "Wall built around USA", "USA lumped in with Brazil and Russia", "USA's summer of exclusion", "USA has failed".

Not sure why they keep talking about a second wave, I'm not aware of any science behind this. I'm not expecting one and it is clear that most governments are able to stamp out new outbreaks, maybe not before the first wave, but with a bit of immunity following the first wave it is being kept under control everywhere but the USA. Dr Fauci keeps concentrating on preventing the second wave, rather than dealing with the first.

Last edited:
The opposite of Australia where the testers grab everyone they can, and still struggle to find anyone positive.
testing is available here to anyone and everyone, even for the mildest of symptoms, can't get a test station, no problem, they'll come to you, not taking any chances

testing is available here to anyone and everyone, even for the mildest of symptoms, can't get a test station, no problem, they'll come to you, not taking any chances
In Trumpland, you can't any longer drive to your test, and apparently the walk in ones have long queues so that even if you are negative when you join the queue, you will be positive by the time you take the test:

USA now back at record levels of new cases, the deaths will follow - Trump is truly powerful!

Unlike Europe and Asia, the US has not been able to control the pandemic -- as cases continue to surge amid debates over wearing face masks and the need for social distancing.

Seems the parts of the USA that locked down too early, and then didn't wait for zero cases before reopening, are now in trouble, and they are all arguing about making masks mandatory. I've still not seen any good scientific study that proves that masks help when actually in use rather than in the laboratory, it is a huge risk to rely only on masks to end the epidemic, and based on what is happening, they are not working! They are not sufficient to turn the curve downwards, may even be making it steeper.

5 ICU beds available:

New York is now doing OK, a bit of herd immunity and it can be kept under control even in a high density city. Meanwhile Trump is now in his "post-covid" era and claiming that deaths are down and "our mortality rate is among the best countries in the world", not sure what he means by that given that the USA has 1/4 of the worlds deaths, and 1/5th of the new daily deaths.

Last edited:
Well we all know better than to believe anything Trump says. And there's quite a bit of evidence that masks do work, but that takes specific conditions such as their use being universal and that they be used correctly. One infected person not using a mask will be spreading the virus wherever they go and your own mask wearing only parttially protects you from that. Better than doing nothing which is what Trump wants people to do. Social distancing and frequent hand-washing are still the most important self-protection techniques, and that hes been fairly well proven.

There have been quite a few places (including at State level) which are now wanting to buck the trend of doing what Trump wants as it's now very clear that his way is not working at all. Many cities here in SC are now adopting ordinances (laws) requiring mask use and social distancing as the State Attorney General has made it clear that they can do this legally, and that the State will not intervene unless someone can clearly prove that some kind of illegal prejudice or bias is involved (y) Counties can do likewise though none have as of yet, but I expect them to follow suit soon. Our Governor has stepped back from the spotlight with this as I'm sure he now sees that being closely allied with Trump is not conducive to a good political future. Even our top Senator Lindsey Graham has stepped back from the unconditional Trump supporting stance he previously held, and Graham is in a powerful political position. It seems that more and more people here are realizing that you can't handle reality through wishful thinking and that only reality and results matter.

We're beginning to see a true grass-roots movement emerge to allow States to better control their own destinies and make their own decisions in important matters such as pandemic response and Police control. As I've said before 2020 is going to be seen in the future annals of history as a more significant year than 1776 was. Things here are going to soon get rather nasty politically, and the people aren't going to be falling for feely-good BS words much longer if at all. Those who are to blame for the huge spike in Covid-19 cases and deaths are going to be held accountable for their clearly seen mistakes in hiow they've handled things and there can be no wrong in that. All I can hope for is that somehow my beloved America survives this intact with the People in power instead ofvthe politicians, and that's as it should be too.

Phil

I read India are coughing up some big numbers, though # of infected in a million are still 4X lower than in Denmark.

Yes, 3k plus everyday just in Delhi for the past few days. Almost 100 people dying everyday.

Yes, 3k plus everyday just in Delhi for the past few days. Almost 100 people dying everyday.
Looks like an uncontrolled exponential curve at the moment, might be almost time to hide away somewhere isolated, or stock up with food for a long stay indoors.

Surprising how long it has taken to get going in India, but it took a while in South America as well, once it got going it was no longer slow.

Looks like an uncontrolled exponential curve at the moment, might be almost time to hide away somewhere isolated, or stock up with food for a long stay indoors.

Surprising how long it has taken to get going in India, but it took a while in South America as well, once it got going it was no longer slow.

There's not enough testing. Infection numbers are definitely much higher. IIRC around a week back there was no testing in Delhi for 2 days as numbers were rising. Central govt. stepped in and increased the number of tests being conducted.

Too much centre and state politics. Common man suffers.

There's not enough testing. Infection numbers are definitely much higher. IIRC around a week back there was no testing in Delhi for 2 days as numbers were rising. Central govt. stepped in and increased the number of tests being conducted.
I don't think testing is important in your current situation except to know roughly what is happening, it is going to spread tests or no tests. Testing becomes important when you have nearly got rid of it, then testing stops it spreading again. In your current situation you are not going to manage to copy Australia.

I don't think testing is important in your current situation except to know roughly what is happening, it is going to spread tests or no tests. Testing becomes important when you have nearly got rid of it, then testing stops it spreading again. In your current situation you are not going to manage to copy Australia.

They managed to do it in Dharavi, where it was least expected. A Herculean task but probably not impossible to replicate in other cities and states.

They managed to do it in Dharavi, where it was least expected. A Herculean task but probably not impossible to replicate in other cities and states.
You have to start early to do that, while you still have enough staff to deal with every case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back