COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
These days it is found in many car cabin air filters and causes similar symptoms to covid-19, including death!

Apparently the source is the washer fluid, you should never use plain water:

Wasn't a problem before car cabin air filters!

In all they found that the biggest risk was associated with not adding screenwash to windscreen wiper water, the European Journal of Epidemiology reports.

Here in the US I have never heard of ANYONE who uses only plain water in their windshield washer reservoir. It's simply not done except in a temporary emergency when nothing else but plain water is available.

Here in the US I have never heard of ANYONE who uses only plain water in their windshield washer reservoir. It's simply not done except in a temporary emergency when nothing else but plain water is available.
Quite common here, during the summer it is topped up with just water and the screenwash gets more and more dilute, then around Christmas when the cold weather arrives some people forget to put new liquid in so it freezes and splits the plastic bottle! The only reason it needs to be concentrated is to avoid freezing. Having no detergent at all is not good, it doesn't clean well and the pipes block up with algae, but plenty of people do it, same with the engine coolant which is what kills a lot of our cars!

Quite common here, during the summer it is topped up with just water and the screenwash gets more and more dilute, then around Christmas when the cold weather arrives some people forget to put new liquid in so it freezes and splits the plastic bottle! The only reason it needs to be concentrated is to avoid freezing. Having no detergent at all is not good, it doesn't clean well and the pipes block up with algae, but plenty of people do it, same with the engine coolant which is what kills a lot of our cars!

Diluting windshield fluid doesn't sound like a particularly smart approach. Here in the USA, drivers generally use a freeze preventing fluid during winter and switch to a bug/road tar remover fluid in the summer months. Depending upon the harshness of the winter climate one resides in some people (like me) use a de-iceing formula.

windshield-fluid.jpg

Looks good, but the only difference between those will be the colour of dye used, the concentration, and probably the scent :sneaky:

In my first job ( part time ) when i was 13 one of my prime functions in winter, was to recover the empty plastic canisters like pictured above, and then refill them from a big barrel.
The ones you find here have a bit more anti freeze in them in winter, and some bug remover formula in the summer time, never the less i dont use much of the stuff, not least now that i have flat rate car wash.
So i have the winter formula all year, and just add some squirts of a bug remover to it in the summer.

The plastic canisters are still here and now you can also get the stuff in a plastic bag, prime color here are blue, but red can also be found.

Russians i bet just use some cheap vodka and washing up fluid :)

Looks good, but the only difference between those will be the colour of dye used, the concentration, and probably the scent :sneaky:

Hah! :LOL: You know Nigel, this ceaseless "know-it-all" attitude always on display from you on literally EVERY subject is insufferable, especially when you have no idea what you are talking about.

There are numerous competitive brands of windshield washer fluids on the market and many use various combinations of different ingredients to create their products. They are certainly NOT all the same.

The cheapest products use plain water while the better ones are made with distilled water. Usually, ethylene glycol and isopropanol is used but some of the summer formulas are basically just detergents, a small quantity of ispropyl alcohol and water intended to remove bugs and dissolve bird droppings. Some products use anti-liming agents to prevent water spots. Rain-X products have a hydrophobic agent and use de-ionized water to improve visibility and eliminate streaking. Other ingredients are used depending upon what season the fluid is intended for. The de-icing formulas use methanol. (methanol was recently banned in certain jurisdictions because of its toxicity, where elsewhere it requires a warning label) Some products contain a lubricant such as silicone to help reduce water skipping and shuddering.

And yes, manufacturers do indeed use some coloring agents and scents to distinguish their products but there ARE significant differences in some of the various products.

Prestone is considered one of the best products on the market but it tends to be more expensive.

prestone.jpg

prestone2.png

Last edited:
Thats a funky yellow fluid, i like :cool:
But not a brand i think sell over here.
there are no doubt different brands in action cuz i can smell that when the car in front use their stuff and it dont smell like mine.

Thats a funky yellow fluid, i like :cool:
But not a brand i think sell over here.
there are no doubt different brands in action cuz i can smell that when the car in front use their stuff and it dont smell like mine.

I know, it looks like piss, doesn't it! :D

Where I live the bug splatters can get really bad in summer and the icing can get really bad in winter. Some brands really are better than others.

In winter some people cover their windshields when icing is in the forecast but I'm too lazy to deal with that. Now and again, I do lift my windshield wipers before it snows so I don't find them stuck to the glass in the morning. Sometimes, in January or February I'll go out to my truck in the morning and the entire vehicle is covered in a half inch or thicker layer of ice so that it can be difficult to get the doors open. That's always fun. One time I had to use a rubber mallet to get the door open. If there is a lot of ice I use some of this stuff on the glass plus the de-icing windshield fluid. It works if you give it a few minutes but you still need to get the glass warmed up enough to scrap the ice off. I'm glad the methanol based products are still legal here.

de-icer.jpg

A new study from Imperial College London have Denmark as the country in the world that dont bother much with inviting lots of people over and no fear of large assemblies.
I think it is the notion that no matter what mess you get into the big brother nanny state will take care of you, and people then just forget this could be deadly.

Start of june 60% did not invite large numbers into their home, end July that number had dropped to 15%

In week 24 90% of Danes avoided crowds over 10 persons, in week 32 that number is 30%

A new study from Imperial College London have Denmark as the country in the world that dont bother much with inviting lots of people over and no fear of large assemblies.
I think it is the notion that no matter what mess you get into the big brother nanny state will take care of you, and people then just forget this could be deadly.

Start of june 60% did not invite large numbers into their home, end July that number had dropped to 15%

In week 24 90% of Danes avoided crowds over 10 persons, in week 32 that number is 30%
It would change if everybody knew someone who has the virus and a few people who had died, but you currently have so little virus that nobody knows anyone who has tested positive recently so nobody bothers, and that means you will never get rid of it completely!

You seem to have cut back on your testing, after being the country with the most testing per population, and your case numbers are dropping to match the drop in testing. I wonder how many of your positive tests were false positives?

I know it is trending, but drinking with responsibility are the way to go, never be out of contact with your mind for any reason.
Myself i have passed out one time, for a few minutes, but i quickly figured out where i was, and the girl that climbed back on my lap was my GF at the time, and i also know i dident do anything later on forcing me to pull the " i was so drunk i did not knew what i was doing" excuse,,,,, CUZ that one are one of the most lame excuses.

Dont get me wrong i have done a lot of stupid stuff, but i know too, and most things i did not repeat.

Be classy also when intoxicated.

I haven't been so intelligent- but I am now. It just took half a lifetime for me to wise up to what I was doing and where it was taking me ;) The problem is that I can't get back what I've lost but at least I'm still going :cool:

Phil

The virus may not be as bad as we thought.

@country_hick, I don't know why you keep posting links to highly questionable web sites that promote nothing but crap but obviously you are at it again!

RT, the site you linked to with the bogus op-ed article was formerly called "Russia Today". It is essentially a state controlled and funded Russian propaganda and disinformation operation posing as a legitimate news organization. In September 2017, RT America was ordered to register as a "foreign agent" with the United States Department of Justice under the Foreign Agents Registration Act.

You can read all about RT in the very thorough Wikipedia article that you will find HERE.

As I've suggested to you on numerous previous occasions, PLEASE use some critical thinking and do some due diligence before you buy into and post stuff like this!

Last edited:
The virus may not be as bad as we thought.

There are some good points in there, plus some serious errors such as:
Lockdown can be seen as a complete and utter disaster. And it was all based on a nonsense, a claim that Covid was going to kill one percent. A claim that can now be seen to be utterly and completely wrong. Sweden, which did not lock down, has had a death rate of 0.0058 percent.
Sweden's death rate is 10 times that figure! A bad mistake after complaining about an error of x10!

And it overlooks the real reason for the lockdowns, which was to avoid hospital overload.

It is quite possibly valid for the more recent localised lockdowns though, in the end they are likely to have been pointless unless a vaccine becomes available fairly soon.

And certainly the initial lockdowns in most USA states were pointless, doing nothing except to prolong the duration of the problems. It certainly didn't help to avoid deaths, USA has just sailed past Sweden's death toll (per million) when Sweden has come to the end of its epidemic while the USA is still in the middle of its.

And meanwhile in UK COVID-19 the spike continues and accelerates, as predicted, after the debauched, unruly bar crawls in early July, the Quarantine Raves and the alcohol fueled Airbnb parties etc. going forward. I heard on the evening news today that this spike started with the poor behavior of younger Brits in early July (which we know) but is now spreading to older folks and public officials are bracing for the worst. 14,227 new cases in the last 7 days! Nearly 3,000 cases in each of the last two days. Highest case rate since May!

UK_case_spike.jpg

Last edited:
And the UK COVID-19 spike continues and accelerates, as predicted after the debauched, unruly bar crawls, Quarantine Raves and the alcohol fueled Airbnb parties. I heard on the evening news today that this spike started with the poor behavior of younger Brits in early July (which we know) but is now spreading to older folks and officials are bracing for the worst. 14,227 new cases in the last 7 days. Nearly 3,000 cases in each of the last two days. Highest case rate since May.

View attachment 53251
That is even more inaccurate reporting than the RT article :ROFLMAO:

More testing gives more false positive cases, the real story is told by the deaths and hospital occupancy.
And since you don't like the 28 day cutoff, this is the story since July based on death certificates which has no cutoff at all, just the doctor's opinion:

EhYmKmpWAAIgExn

(Note that Wales has a population of 3 million people, so spike of 1 death per million is not very many people, especially when a meat factory is involved.)

Far less deaths than even Australia, and vastly less than almost every American nation, except Canada which seems to be copying the Europeans:
1599608001590.png

I'm not in the middle of the epidemic- I'm off to the lower right side of it :ROFLMAO:

I use "Google News" to get a compiled synopsis of the news reports; they are NOT my only source mainly because they do not vet their sources, and you'll find all manner of dubious activity listed there as legitimate news :cautious:

Numbers are still high in my state but tapering off. Deaths have significantly decreased, partly due to the vulnerable either having already died or there having been instituted extra protections for them. Trying to visit someone in the hospital or a nursing home is nearly impossible save for one immediate family member who must often be tested first. Locally more folks are wearing masks than ever (including younger adults (y)) but the dreadful fear of the disease is largely gone. Where it's popping up now is schools and especially universities- those 'young adults' are as stupid as ever. There have been many clandestine sorority and fraternity parties which have infected a lot of the attendees, which has caused numerous universities and colleges to revert to online-only classes for large numbers of their alumni. Many of these schools have laid off or furloughed huge numbers of employees. In the upstate of SC probably about 2500 college and university jobs are on hold right now, maybe more. Some of them won't be coming back o_O

Phil

Where it's popping up now is schools and especially universities- those 'young adults' are as stupid as ever. There have been many clandestine sorority and fraternity parties which have infected a lot of the attendees,...
Just building up the herd immunity, now need to confine them to campus until there is enough herd immunity amongst them for them to not be a danger to others. Could also use them as test subjects for the vaccines to help bring them under control!

SC is also about to overtake Sweden with the deaths per million, you shouldn't be seeing issues in the schools/universities, but it seems all the American countries other than Canada and Greenland need maybe twice the deaths per million to reach herd immunity compared to Sweden/UK/etc., New York is at three times! Hard to explain why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back