COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

"On a scale of one to 10, one being less concerned and 10 being the most concerned," said Daniel Taylor, an associate professor of accounting at the Wharton School, "this is an 11."

Taylor said Moderna's stock-selling practices appear well outside the norm, and raise questions about the company's internal controls to prevent insider trading. Since January, CEO Stéphane Bancel has sold roughly $40 million worth of Moderna stock held by himself or associated investment funds; Chief Medical Officer Tal Zaks has sold around $60 million; and President Stephen Hoge has sold more than $10 million.

Bad news for the UK Yahoo News announcing increased restrictions

Something Boris Johnson mentioned is how the few who aren't following the rules are screwing it up for the many who will now have to suffer for those few. People really need to understand that viruses don't discriminate, nor do they give a dam# about your personal beliefs and opinions. There can be no exceptions to the rules for anyone unless you want to end up in a situation like this too. Whether a resurgence or 'second wave' this is not good news for anyone :cry:

Phil

I'm not convinced that it is bad news to have sensible restrictions in place, we can see what a wedding can do, and it will still do it even if you have enough immunity to stop the virus spread in everyday life, so his limit on wedding guests seems very sensible to me, and it is better to put minor restrictions in early than need to have bigger restrictions later.

We have yet to see if the recent rise in positive cases is due to more virus or more false positive tests, I still think most of it is false positives, but while we cant tell, caution is sensible.

I see there is another rise in USA too, even though you now have more deaths/million than Italy and UK, and have reached 200,000 deaths. You could also do with some additional restrictions, because you should now be able to almost wipe it out with little effort!

With the deaths continuing USA should be prioritizing getting a vaccine, and yet:

‘AZD122 Car Crash’ in the USA?

The story is different in the United States. With the vaccine still on hold, some investor-focused publications pen an increasingly cynical picture. For example, Keith Williams writing for Seeking Alpha, an investor portal and news platform, suggests in “COVID-19 Car Crash” that given growing problems with American public confidence generally this latest incident during the Phase 3 trial triggers a call for “more clarity for public confidence.”
USA agreed to carry out trials back in May, so far they have achieved almost nothing and are stuck on pause for no obvious reason!

The unidentified UK-based volunteer was given the jabs in June and August but was hospitalised after she started to suffer “difficulty walking, pain and weakness in her arms and a headache after tripping while running in September”

people here are lining up for 4-5-6 hours to get tested, even here in my town, the politicians did say not long ago that testing capabilities are top notch.
And civil guard ASO have also been trained in swapping ASO, but they are now public complaining as they are working 80 hour work weeks,,,,,, wayyyy past what is legal in Denmark.

All this come from people i have absolutely zero trust in, and people for whom i only wish negative things to happen, so much so i have to work hard not thinking about them as even that would totally ruin my otherwise good mood.

the politicians did say not long ago that testing capabilities are top notch.
You are doing more testing than anyone else, but no amount of testing is enough if there is sufficient demand, and there comes a point when extra testing isn't helping to solve the problem! Currently you really only need the testing to tell you if you need more or less lockdown, since wiping the virus out 100% seems impossible.

Interesting to see that the scientists think they have found why only some people have problems with covid; soon we will need a DNA test to find out which people are at risk:
In July, a team led by Daniel Jacobson at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee published a study in which they mined gene expression data in samples of lung fluid from nine people with covid-19 in China, and compared them with samples from a control group that didn’t have the disease. They found an over-expression of genes that are responsible for bradykinin production, along with under-expression of genes that produce enzymes to keep bradykinin levels in check.

Seem like if you have dodgy genomes in the immune system, even little ones, not like you have been diagnosed with major issues before.
Then you can be young and healthy, and still almost die from the pestilence.

Abstract
Clinical outcome upon infection with SARS-CoV-2 ranges from silent infection to lethal COVID-19. We have found an enrichment in rare variants predicted to be loss-of-function (LOF) at the 13 human loci known to govern TLR3- and IRF7-dependent type I interferon (IFN) immunity to influenza virus, in 659 patients with life-threatening COVID-19 pneumonia, relative to 534 subjects with asymptomatic or benign infection. By testing these and other rare variants at these 13 loci, we experimentally define LOF variants in 23 patients (3.5%), aged 17 to 77 years, underlying autosomal recessive or dominant deficiencies. We show that human fibroblasts with mutations affecting this pathway are vulnerable to SARS-CoV-2. Inborn errors of TLR3- and IRF7-dependent type I IFN immunity can underlie life-threatening COVID-19 pneumonia in patients with no prior severe infection.

Seem like if you have dodgy genomes in the immune system, even little ones, not like you have been diagnosed with major issues before.
Then you can be young and healthy, and still almost die from the pestilence.
That is called evolution, if you remove the "almost" ;)
Looks like evolution has already happened in Southeast Asia where the virus originated, there are very few people dying there.
And there is a lot of evolution happening in America where all the countries with significant amounts of DNA originating in Southwest Europe have very high death rates, similar to Spain.

And there is a lot of evolution happening in America where all the countries with significant amounts of DNA originating in Southwest Europe have very high death rates, similar to Spain.
This makes me want to immediately look at a map of Europe to figure out if my British ancestors are from the threatened part of the gene pool.

This makes me want to immediately look at a map of Europe to figure out if my British ancestors are from the threatened part of the gene pool.
That is going to be very difficult! I think the DNA researchers are going to take decades to figure it all out.

If your ancestors are native British, Celtic, Viking, Angles or Saxons, you are probably good. If they are Roman, later Italian or Spanish then not so good. Not clear yet if African is a risk or not, I suspect not, then we have more modern immigrants from India, China, and other parts of South Asia which are probably good except for a tendency to be overweight and unfit which adds risk.

I don't think we have a huge number of people of Spanish ancestry in UK, and in any case, there are parts of Spain that are not at great risk, the more celtic regions, which appears to include most of Portugal. We do have millions of people with Italian ancestry, but again there are parts of Italy that are OK, and others that have had a high death toll, so that is complicated too.

Currently it is not clear how much high death toll areas are a result of genetics and how much from lockdown policy.

Good or bad luggage from the old countries :cautious:

Largest infected population group here now,,,, by far is the kids 10 - 20 age. :rolleyes:

Largest infected population group here now,,,, by far is the kids 10 - 20 age. :rolleyes:
That has happened here too, but it is because they returned to school after the holidays and they all got tested, so there were a lot of extra false positives in the testing of the kids, even worse we ran short of testing and appear to have had to use some less accurate tests which have even more false positives so the percentage positive also increased making it look like a real outbreak, and because some of the less accurate tests were used by the elderly the elderly tests also showed extra positives, and then some of them died of other causes, but as long as they die within 28 days of a positive covid test then they are counted as a covid death, so the covid deaths also increased, even though they are really false covid deaths!

All returning to normal now the excitement of the new school year is settling down! I don't think we have actually had an increase in virus since it died out at the end of June, except a very small increase at the beginning of September caused by people coming home from holiday in Spain and France where they have a lot more of it, but that didn't spread, they were supposed to go into quarantine.

Denmark very very happy with their own government's response to covid, not so impressed by the USA!

PG_2020.09.15_U.S.-Image_0-02.png

That has happened here too, but it is because they returned to school after the holidays and they all got tested, so there were a lot of extra false positives in the testing of the kids, even worse we ran short of testing and appear to have had to use some less accurate tests which have even more false positives so the percentage positive also increased making it look like a real outbreak, and because some of the less accurate tests were used by the elderly the elderly tests also showed extra positives, and then some of them died of other causes, but as long as they die within 28 days of a positive covid test then they are counted as a covid death, so the covid deaths also increased, even though they are really false covid deaths!

All returning to normal now the excitement of the new school year is settling down! I don't think we have actually had an increase in virus since it died out at the end of June, except a very small increase at the beginning of September caused by people coming home from holiday in Spain and France where they have a lot more of it, but that didn't spread, they were supposed to go into quarantine.

Once again, Nigel you are engaging in an absolutely astonishing level of denial, outright falsehoods and propaganda in what at this point is a bizarre attempt to have us believe that everything is just fine and peachy in the UK in regard to the COVID-19 pandemic. Of course, as usual you indulge in criticism of other nations while promoting your own self serving nationalist false narrative.

In the last 7 days alone there have been 42,605 new coronavirus cases confirmed in the UK! Just yesterday, 7,143 new positive coronavurius cases were reported. At the very same time, UK hospitalization rates for COVID have been doubling every 8 days and have now entered a stage where they are tripling! Obvioulsy, false positive tests for COVID don't put people in hospitals or on ventilators.

This chart is the very definition of a SPIKE.
UKcases.jpg

This was the spike in COVID cases predicted last June/July when we started seeing COVID Quarantine Raves, clandestine Airbnb parties and debauched pub crawls begiining on July 4th weekend with crowds of rowdy drunks throwing beer bottles at squads of police who retreated in panic. (Here in the USA they all would have been arrested for aggravated disorderly conduct and public drunkenness.)

But you would have everyone believe that all these thousands of new cases are completely "false", that your huge spike in COVID hospitalizations and numbers if patients on ventilators isn't really happening, that your rising COVID death rate is from some unnamed other causes. Just Amazing!

This bizarre narrative is all nothing new from you. It was back on August 26th when you made the laughable assertion, as you repeat again here that the epidemic was literally "Over in the UK! :LOL: You should thank Boris again for that as the new curfew he just put in place has everyone leaving the pubs at 10PM and getting on the tube together. Another huge spike in the making!

"For us the epidemic is over". Unbelievable! Fantasy Land... :ROFLMAO:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/covid-19-coronavirus-thread.42021/post-523154

OVER.png

Obviously there is a self evident truth to be told here but we are certainly not hearing it from you. ;)

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...firmed-cases-since-start-of-outbreak-12085306
biggest.png

https://globalnews.ca/video/7344178...issions-due-to-covid-19-doubling-every-8-days
doubling.jpg

doubling2.png

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...ally-growing-covid-death-rate-scientists-warn
exponentially.png

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/fa...n-uk-admit-chief-medical-officers/ar-BB19gKOe
wales.png

50000.png

Virus Spreading Exponentially in U.K. for First Time Since March

bloomberg.png

Last edited:
This was the spike in COVID cases predicted last June/July when we started seeing COVID Quarantine Raves, clandestine Airbnb parties and debauched pub crawls begiining on July 4th weekend with crowds of rowdy drunks throwing beer bottles at squads of police who retreated in panic. (Here in the USA they all would have been arrested for aggravated disorderly conduct and public drunkenness.)
You are sounding more and more like president Trump talking non-stop about riots and destruction of monuments in USA Democratic cities!
You should look at the science, not dismiss it and instead spew lies and fake news.

Predictions and reality are very different things, and "Actual" on this graph is not actual, it is positive tests including false positives:
EjLWpqMWkAIksGS

Real virus infections are always either exponentially increasing (like the red prediction), or exponentially decreasing. If the graphs constantly show something in the middle then there is a problem with the data.

Obvioulsy, false positive tests for COVID don't put people in hospitals or on ventilators.
But they do affect the hospitalization figures, just like they affect the death figures, and the infection figures.

even in the state where I live (Vermont) where we have only 1,577 cases total and 58 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic, with only three deaths since last May. We have one of the lowest case rates, and in fact probably THE lowest case rate in the entire country but nobody is playing games like you and calling this a local "epidemic".
Percentage of tests that have been positive in UK = 1.8.
Percentage of tests that have been positive in Vermont USA = 1.1.

Not such a big difference!

You are sounding more and more like president Trump talking non-stop about riots and destruction of monuments in USA Democratic cities!
You should look at the science, not dismiss it and instead spew lies and fake news.

Predictions and reality are very different things, and "Actual" on this graph is not actual, it is positive tests including false positives:

Real virus infections are always either exponentially increasing (like the red prediction), or exponentially decreasing. If the graphs constantly show something in the middle then there is a problem with the data.

But they do affect the hospitalization figures, just like they affect the death figures, and the infection figures.

Fake news? Good Lord!

Neither your government officials or any of these news organizations are making this stuff up.

All of your attempts to spin the COVID situation to make it sound like the UK does not have a serious problem here just become more and more ridiculous as time goes on, Nigel.

I wonder if you realize just how completely daft you sound when you repeatedly claim that ""For us the epidemic is over".

Last edited:
Percentage of tests that have been positive in UK = 1.8.
Percentage of tests that have been positive in Vermont USA = 1.1.

Not such a big difference!

Not a relevant comparison. Apples to Oranges. Vermont has kept the infection rate extremely low at 1742 cases and 1606 recoveries since the beginning of the pandemic due to outstanding bipartisan management from our government officials along with good community cooperation. Vermont has only has had 58 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic and none for over a month. UK is spiking and going higher exponentially with 7,143 new cases just yesterday and data shows a further 266 people were admitted to hospital across the UK with coronavirus, taking the total number to 2,252. This is an increase from 2,049 from Tuesday. 7,108 new cases just today.

7108.jpg

No sane, rational person can look at this chart and claim that there is no major COVID spike occurring.
newUKcases.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back