COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people don't get that companies like Twitter are private corporations which have no obligation to let people behave any way they damn please. They have longstanding rules, outlined in their Terms of Service, a legal contract which everyone who signs up for an account agrees to before they are allowed to begin posting.

Those who lament their suspension or permanent ban from traditional social media platforms typically punctuate it with complaints about their constitutional rights of Free Speech being violated as if they have no accountability for the things they say, the threats they make, the hatred they extol or the illegal activities the may promote and advocate for. While much of this may indeed violate the law this is not Twitter's concern, per se. They are a business and you agree to their Terms of Service if you wish to be a customer, and in most situations social media companies have rules of conduct (just as DCT does) that govern participants behavior that includes issues such as harassment, threats, hate speech, glorification of violence, sexual exploitation, privacy, copyrights, trademarks and spam to name a few. As such, getting booted from Twitter is no more a political event than getting your Minecraft account suspended.
I think people forget that 'when the service is free, you're the product' and that's not the type of product (hate speech, threats etc) that is going to bring the advertising dollars, like any business model if you have a non performing product, or a product that affects your brand, then you get rid of it, common sense really

I think people forget that 'when the service is free, you're the product' and that's not the type of product (hate speech, threats etc) that is going to bring the advertising dollars, like any business model if you have a non performing product, or a product that affects your brand, then you get rid of it, common sense really

Exactly!

BTW, Parler seems to believe a totally rule-less free-for-all makes for a good business model. So, now they are suing Amazon (AWS) for de-platforming their service, claiming among other things that Amazon is attempting to "restrain competition by eliminating a player from the market". The thing of it is that Parler signed the AWS Terms of Service agreement which their business model and the behavior of its membership has seriously violated, especially after what happened at our Capitol Building in D.C. the other day. I expect their lawsuit will get thrown out of court rather quickly but what do I know. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Parler sues Amazon for cutting off its services

I get people make you sign to not do so and so while using their service, but what i do not get,,,,, well aside for the financial aspect, is that for someone to just relinquish all responsibility in relation to how a service are used should be just as easy to do as getting people to sign whatever.

IMO it should just be 1 line saying " the users are solely responsible for what they say and do on the platform"
which i think are more in line with every day life, i mean just imaging if each car brand had a complex and unique set of rules on how to operate their vehicle in regard to uphold warranty.
Now they do have that, but it is fairly simple, just have your car serviced at so and so miles, so nothing complicated about that, but other than that it is all on the user, and users have and will in the future use vehicles for very horrible things.
Even if our societies was way more relaxed in regard to general communal rules every one must follow, if you are sufficiently weird or dangerous in such a society, people are still going to band together to take you out.
Personally i feel everyone should be allowed to juggle chain saws while driving or play Russian roulette, but i would not like that if they did that while driving on the same roads as me, and i am not going to pay for the roads for these special people.
So i must insist they try and adhere to the communal traffic code, a set of rules that have never really bothered me much.

Also in regard to commercial income on these platforms, there are still many crackpots, and i assume also many companies that are willing to pay for commercials on those platforms selling tin foil hats and what ever to those people.
But if you ban the crackpots from your platform, the companies that sell thing to those crackpots are not going to pay for commercials on your platform.
And to me it seem very rare indeed that any company forego any possibility to make money, in general the opposite seem to be the norm to me, so when these platforms alienate some people it is for political reasons and not financial, they just say financial as that sound better.

BTW, Parler seems to believe a totally rule-less free-for-all makes for a good business model. So, now they are suing Amazon (AWS) for de-platforming their service, claiming among other things that Amazon is attempting to "restrain competition by eliminating a player from the market". The thing of it is that Parler signed the AWS Terms of Service agreement which their business model and the behavior of its membership has seriously violated, especially after what happened at our Capitol Building in D.C. the other day. I expect their lawsuit will get thrown out of court rather quickly but what do I know. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Parler sues Amazon for cutting off its services

I think they have a point. I've read a bit into this and apparently the trending topic on twitter on Friday was about hanging mike pence. AWS didn't de-platform twitter did it?

Also I thought under Section 230 platforms were not responsible for their users behaviour?

I have never tried to click the "what is trending" button on youtube, i know it would bring me nothing but grief, even if i dont have too high expectations about youtube content and users like myself.
I think twitter have their own servers.

I am wondering when data centers will start shutting down VPN servers, which i think often are used by people not totally in line with the majority.

I don't waste my time keeping up with trends either. I know what I prefer and I can make my own choices- and I do that regardless of what anyone else may think. Those who feel like they must fit in with the rest of the world tend to be less intelligent, boring, and rather inane :p

I did have a bit of a scare Sunday as a case of diarrhea took hold. I remember what my friend who had Covid told me about that being his first symptom. I do have problems with my digestion at the best of times and sometimes it is manifested like this which luckily seems to be the case this time as no other symptoms or problems have shown up so AFAIK I'm still good-to-go :cool: and only waiting for my chance to get vaccinated.

Phil

Nurses / care takers called me today about my mother and vaccination, i said NP i am on this ball, but my mother are also not on the digital government stuff, so like me we await a letter telling us when it is our turn.
But i am a bit amazed my mother have not gotten her letter yet, after all she are in a pretty fragile state, and this corona stuff even in a mild strike would probably finish her off.
Going to visit her now and check her mail box, then friends house to pick up a return label he printed out for me as i have to RMA my new mouse, and then on to sisters place to get a good solid meal.

One of the longer drive days with around 100 km in total.

I did have a bit of a scare Sunday as a case of diarrhea took hold. I remember what my friend who had Covid told me about that being his first symptom. I do have problems with my digestion at the best of times and sometimes it is manifested like this which luckily seems to be the case this time as no other symptoms or problems have shown up so AFAIK I'm still good-to-go :cool: and only waiting for my chance to get vaccinated.
That's an unusual first symptom, but everyone seems to react to covid in different ways. If you are regularly having digestion issues then it is time to change your diet somewhat, there will be something in your diet causing it. Could be as simple as your digestion deciding that it doesn't like peanuts anymore, just miss a few things out for a while and see if it makes any difference.

Also I thought under Section 230 platforms were not responsible for their users behaviour?
Not being responsible, and not wanting to be associated with supporting the upcoming armed assault on the capitals of 50 states and the deaths that have already occured are two very different things!

Total deaths in England in 2020 compared with the previous 20 years, that flu spike at the beginning of 1999 and again the next year was the highest, but we have a spike most Januarys and a mini one every Easter, the second wave of covid is only just visible:
ErifOKoW4AsA2dR

1610469784872.png

Last edited:
I did have a bit of a scare Sunday as a case of diarrhea took hold....I do have problems with my digestion at the best of times and sometimes it is manifested like this...
...waiting for my chance to get vaccinated.
I too have digestive issues (diagnosed IBS-C - the exact opposite symptoms) so when I have your symptoms something is really out of whack.

Just got an appointment at 1:30 tomorrow for my first dose. Vaccine availability is really hit-or-miss around here. Hoping all goes well and there will be vaccine available in a month or so when the second dose is due.

My sister will order my mothers 2 shots as that require to log in on some public BS, and she have my mothers stuff to be able to do that.
From what i can see you can not get a shot if you dont have that digital BS, so seem like i am screwed on this.

I think they have a point. I've read a bit into this and apparently the trending topic on twitter on Friday was about hanging mike pence. AWS didn't de-platform twitter did it?

I think you've missed the point, Joe.

Unlike Parler, Twitter proactively removes content that violates their Terms of Service. Sometimes, it is hard for them to keep on top of all the millions of posts that are flooding in but when they realized that "hang Mike Pense" was trending in the early hours of Saturday morning they took aggressive moves to stop it, citing risks of 'further incitement to violence'. They blocked the phrase and suspended thousands of accounts. In the interim, they have permanently banned former national security adviser Michael Flynn and Donald Trump’s attorney ally Sidney Powell in a purge of high-profile users peddling baseless, dangerous QAnon conspiracy theories. They've also now banned an additional 70,000 QAnon accounts which were “suspended in line with our policy on Coordinated Harmful Activity,” Hardly the grounds for AWS to feel motivated to de-platform Twitter.

Facebook has taken similar steps in regard to the provocative "Stop the Steal" posts but they are allowing neutral discussions on the topic.

Both Google and Apple have banned the Parler App from their platforms.

Apple said: “We have always supported diverse points of view being represented on the App Store, but there is no place on our platform for threats of violence and illegal activity,” Apple stated “Parler has not taken adequate measures to address the proliferation of these threats to people’s safety."

Google said that “to protect user safety on Google Play, our longstanding policies require that apps displaying user-generated content have moderation policies and enforcement that removes egregious content like posts that incite violence.” It continued, “We’re aware of continued posting in the Parler app that seeks to incite ongoing violence in the U.S.”

Section 230 is a section of the Communications Decency Act that provides "Good Samaritan" protection from civil liability for operators of interactive computer services in the removal or moderation of third-party material they deem obscene or offensive, even of constitutionally protected speech, as long as it is done in good faith.

Section 230 generally provides immunity for website publishers from third-party content but it does not entirely absolve websites from all responsibility or allow the promotion of illegal activity. As a result, and because they have business interests to protect most major web sites and social media outlets are responsible business entities that have policies, guidelines and Terms of Service agreements in place that govern content and user behavior on their platforms.

Not so for Parler it seems! No moderation for them! Parler presents itself with open arms as a welcoming "free speech" cesspool for all kinds of unmoderated conservative and extremist Right-wing fringe conspiracy theories, misinformation, hate speech, antisemitism and Holocaust denialism, Islamophobia, homophobia, Nazism, doxing and death threats towards individuals, politicians, journalists and others along with all kinds of other vile stuff. They also allowed alleged Russian disinformation to proliferate despite concerns expressed by national security agencies.

And it gets worse! For an extended period of time Parler allowed far right-wing extremist groups like the Boogaloo Bois, The Proud Boys, QAnon, the Three Percenters movement, the Wolverine Watchmen and their sympathizers and hangers-on to openly plot and coordinate sedition with the intention to storm and ransack the seat of our government - the Capitol Building while Congress was in session to certify the election of the next President in an act of insurrection intent on seizing and burning the ballots and overthrowing the government of the United States of America. And, oh yeah, they also openly promoted and plotted on Parler a plan to capture, restrain and murder the Vice President, the Speaker of the House and others by hanging! They even brought a homemade gallows with them and were captured in a large group on video chanting "Hang Mike Pense"!

But according to you Joe, maybe they have a point in suing AWS because their account got pulled due to all of this behavior seriously violating their platform hosting Terms of Service after no actions were taken by Parler to do anything about this, despite repeated warnings from Amazon? Really?

How might you feel if a British based web platform allowed the plotting in plain sight for everyone to see of a violent overthrow of your government and storming and ransacking of Parliament while in session, perhaps to also murder some of your most prominent politicians? Would that be OK with you? Would such a web platform be free of culpability?

Last edited:
How might you feel if a British based web platform allowed the plotting in plain sight for everyone to see of a violent overthrow of your government and storming and ransacking of Parliament while in session, perhaps to also murder some of your most prominent politicians? Would that be OK with you?
Thankfully the current USA situation does not happen here, when our existing PM loses an election they are normally out of No. 10 within 12 hours of the polling closing, no time to organise mass violence or anything else! Trump has had months, and he still has time left!

Thankfully the current USA situation does not happen here, when our existing PM loses an election they are normally out of No. 10 within 12 hours of the polling closing, no time to organise mass violence or anything else! Trump has had months, and he still has time left!

You too are missing the point. You don't think political violence or terrorist plots can happen in Britain? Good luck with that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jo_Cox

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombings

Right-wing extremism is UK's fastest growing threat, says top counter-terror cop

Last edited:
They are sending fewer vaccines to Denmark now, and several other EU countries ( Pfizer / BioNtec )
Thats a spanner in the works.
Still existing roadmap will have someone like me getting shot up in May or something.

The British are down 1 raven at the tower, if old fables are right this could be catastrophic for the people over there.
"The Tower usually has six ravens at any time and, according to legend, if they ever leave then both the fortress and the kingdom will fall. There are currently seven in residence."

The British are down 1 raven at the tower, if old fables are right this could be catastrophic for the people over there.
"The Tower usually has six ravens at any time and, according to legend, if they ever leave then both the fortress and the kingdom will fall. There are currently seven in residence."

They do have a "spare" raven but it is not technically "in residence" as yet. According the legend that may be cheating and so it remains to be seen what actually happens to the kingdom. Between COVID and Brexit, things look a bit dicey.' :pigeon:

ukdeaths.jpg

The British are down 1 raven at the tower,
Those are Corvids, not Covid!

They are sending fewer vaccines to Denmark now, and several other EU countries ( Pfizer / BioNtec )
Thats a spanner in the works.
I noticed you had slowed down, but then you picked up again. EU seems to be refusing to approve the Oxford vaccine, so we are likely to pull well ahead of you soon!
1610758167694.png

Unsure if or what quantities have been per-ordered of the Oxford vaccine.

As of November this is what are ordered over here, but i know it is more now as vaccines for 23 million people are ordered, which probably mean they are all 2 shot cures.
I am freaked by vaccines for 23 million people as we are only 6 million Danes, if that are true then it is a gross over estimate on how many are needed.Also it do seem like someone in charge are shareholders of johnsonn & johnsonn as a little googling got me a 10 hour old news article saying we now ordered 8.2 million vaccines there, and 23 mill in total.
J & J are expected to seek for EU approval next month.
Not sure if these numbers are full cures ( so 2 shots in most cases ) i think thats it as 1 shot dont do much and are not considered a cure / vaccine.

• Astra Zeneca: approx. 2,6 mill.
  • Sanofi-GSK: approx. 2 mill.
  • Johnson & Johnson: approx. 5,2 mill. ( 8.2 mill )
  • BioNTech/Pfizer: approx. 2 mill.
  • Moderna: ca. 1 mill.
People are also getting shop up with the Moderna vaccine now.

Last edited:

• Start with clean hands — always wash them before handling a new mask (and after taking off a used one).
  • Fold the mask in half, lengthwise, so that the bottom and top strip are edge-to-edge.
  • Take one ear loop and make a knot as close as possible to the corners of the mask; repeat on the other side.
  • Unfold the mask and adapt the flexible nose bridge to your nose. You will see that the mask puffs out more than before.
  • Fold in the corners and put on your better-fitting mask. Adjust as needed.
A recent study from Duke University measuring the efficacy of 14 types of masks and face coverings found disposable surgical masks worked well to block respiratory particles emitted when people talk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back