COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That thing about paracetamol i knew a long time ago, a big thing for me as i eat those as if it are candy ( almost daily )

That thing about paracetamol i knew a long time ago, a big thing for me as i eat those as if it are candy ( almost daily )
Something I wouldn't normally take much notice about, but with killer diseases about 5% becomes significant.

Another one I just heard, the lower rate of covid in Norway and Finland is caused by those countries adding vitamin D to their food, so everyone has sufficient all winter.

Yeah getting low on D can be a problem for us in winter dark countries, you can also get it from food of course but my levels was so low i was urged to get the pills with the most D in them.
Problem is i forget to eat the damn pills, as a side effect of me actually disliking eating any pill, so i forget my mixed vitamins and i forget my D vitamins.

you can also get it from food of course
Difficult unless you like oily fish, or live in Finland where it is added to all milk and dairy products.
Most comes from sunlight, but not in our winters.

Difficult unless you like oily fish, or live in Finland where it is added to all milk and dairy products.
Most comes from sunlight, but not in our winters.
Also in Cod liver oil. Tablet or liquid form.

NHS in England are giving free Vitamin D supplements to some people, although from what I've heard not a lot of people have got them:

Taking precautions is not guaranteed to help.
I know this man. He always wore a mask and just caught covid-19.

View attachment 54776
I was given and relayed incomplete information.

It is true this man was paranoid about catching covid and that he caught it despite always wearing a mask.

The part I did not find out until very recently is HOW he caught covid.

He worked at an assisted living facility which I knew.
One of the patients had covid and dementia.
That covid infected patient PULLED HIS MASK OFF and told him it was nice to see a face again.
The facility KNEW the patient had covid but did not tell this man he had been exposed.
Not knowing he had been exposed he then went on to infect TEN other people.

His infection resulted in a mild case. He now has tested virus free.
He is still very tired (and probably will be for months) but can once again smell and taste.

If the facility had told him about being exposed he would have acted accordingly.
Communications which are very important to prevent transmission were withheld.

Just an update for anyone who might want to hear "the rest of the story".

I am taking extra vitamin D, vitamin C and Zinc as reasonable precautions.

Depending on which medical source you listen to those will really help, or not at all.

Yeah getting low on D can be a problem for us in winter dark countries, you can also get it from food of course but my levels was so low i was urged to get the pills with the most D in them.
Problem is i forget to eat the damn pills, as a side effect of me actually disliking eating any pill, so i forget my mixed vitamins and i forget my D vitamins.
Place a glass of water and vitamins by your bed on a stand or a mini table . When you are ready to go to sleep you will see your vitamins and be reminded to take them.

Out of sight out of mind and forgotten.

A bed stand is useful after all.

My case nothing to do with the pestilence, it is a simple matter of me not eating that healthy.
I pretty much only get salad if i eat a burger.

I am taking extra vitamin D, vitamin C and Zinc as reasonable precautions.

Depending on which medical source you listen to those will really help, or not at all.
The vitamin C and Zinc will work much better if you get them from eating good quality fruit and veg, no need for supplements.

The vitamin D is probably better obtained by going for a walk in the sunshine, but that is not possible for everyone, some of us live too far north to get enough sun in the winter, or have skin that is too dark for how far north we live.

Place a glass of water and vitamins by your bed on a stand or a mini table . When you are ready to go to sleep you will see your vitamins and be reminded to take them.

Out of sight out of mind and forgotten.

A bed stand is useful after all.

Vitamin D is fat soluble and should be taken with food that contains fats or oils. If taken with water only it is not absorbed well or not at all. Also, it is best to take vitamin D in the morning. Taking vitamin D before bed may interfere with your sleep.

"Several studies associate low levels of vitamin D in your blood to a higher risk of sleep disturbances, poorer sleep quality and reduced sleep duration (9, 10, 11).
Conversely, one small study suggested that higher blood levels of vitamin D may be linked to lower levels of melatonin — the hormone responsible for regulating your sleep cycle — in people with multiple sclerosis (12).
Some anecdotal reports claim that taking vitamin D at night can negatively influence sleep quality by interfering with melatonin production."

When Is the Best Time to Take Vitamin D? Morning or Night?

Last edited:
, one small study suggested that higher blood levels of vitamin D may be linked to lower levels of melatonin
That should be the other way around, lower levels of melatonin mean less skin pigmentation and thus higher levels of vitamin D created by the skin.

I always do coffee every morning and check the news and weather on the laptop, so my vitamins reside right at one or the other place. Can't miss seeing them there but I still don't always remember to take them. Because of my digestive ills I won't forget them 2 days in a row as I fell like total crap without them which reminds me to not miss again.

Vitamin C does not mix well with other vitamins; it needs to be taken separately in a natural form or in something derived from that. You develop a resistance to synthetic vitamins over time so stay as close to natural as you can. Most of the other vitamins aren't as effective if you're low on C, so just by keeping it up you make the best of things. I do enough outside work to be OK on D, but it's in the mix here anyway.

Phil

That should be the other way around, lower levels of melatonin mean less skin pigmentation and thus higher levels of vitamin D created by the skin.
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the study involved multiple sclerosis patients - or maybe a self regulating mechanism between melatonin and higher levels of Vitamin D or another process in need of further study?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23665342/

Last edited:

BTW Nigel, melatonin has nothing to do with skin pigmentation. It is a pineal gland hormone that regulates the sleep/wake cycle. You've obviously confused it with melanin, a natural pigment existing in most organisms that determines skin tone in humans.

Melatonin is available as an over-the-counter supplement. It is used as a sleep aid and to reduce jet lag. I used to take small doses of it years ago as a sleep aid but it often left me feeling a bit groggy in the morning.

BTW Nigel, melatonin has nothing to do with skin pigmentation. It is a pineal gland hormone that regulates the sleep/wake cycle. You've obviously confused it with melanin, a natural pigment existing in most organisms that determines skin tone in humans.

Melatonin is available as an over-the-counter supplement. It is used as a sleep aid and to reduce jet lag. I used to take small doses of it years ago as a sleep aid but it often left me feeling a bit groggy in the morning.

Melatonin and skin color
Melatonin controls pigmentation changes by aggregation of melanin into the melanocytes within the skin, causing the skin to change color. This interaction is also responsible for the paler skin color of elderly people and those with insomnia.

Skin pigmentation is due to melanin. The rich amount of melanin in dark skins has nothing in common with melatonin, which is a brain (pineal) hormon. Dark skin people have natural rich in melanin pigments, a fact due to the evolution. The transient phenomenon of pallor of the face is something else.

On topic: I'll have my first vaccin inoculation in 21 january, ie thurstday... then the second in 11 february. I had a severe form of Covid19, I was a step distance to death. I have an autoimune disease and that seems to make my imune system very erratic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back