COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And some wonder why we left them. An unelected disorganised bunch with inflated ego.
We will have to leave London next, they are holding us back, won't be long before the majority will be vaccinated in my area, and the map is turning white (not enough new cases to calculate infection rates)!

1614700566179.png

:D

We have a large concentration of 'groups' who believe Whatsapp false/fake news over the advice of qualified doctors. Maybe once they realise why they are still becoming infected and worse and being refused access to venues when they open their attitude may change.

However, looking at the daily map, London is mainly light blue or green whilst the north is mainly dark blue.

However, looking at the daily map, London is mainly light blue or green whilst the north is mainly dark blue.
If you zoom in a bit then you find the map is becoming very patchy with a few areas misbehaving and still having large numbers.

I think the darker blue average further north is due the remains of the cold weather spell, since it warmed up again the numbers have been accelerating downwards again with the warmer south leading.

1614706339803.png

The cold weather aspect makes sense. Covid-19 is a variant of the common cold. It only makes sense that cold weather would increase the presence of the covid-19 virus. That is when the covid virus family makes its biggest impact.

The benevolent rulers here now say things here will not be good before all +50 YO people are vaccinated :) but my smile are not there cuz i turn 55 this year.

Also i think there are no need to russia to spend any troll factory capacity on EU, it is bound to self implode i think, everything about it outside of trading easy and fair i do not like.

If you zoom in a bit then you find the map is becoming very patchy with a few areas misbehaving and still having large numbers.

I think the darker blue average further north is due the remains of the cold weather spell, since it warmed up again the numbers have been accelerating downwards again with the warmer south leading.

I see that Leicester is still an area of concern. If you read the historic reports about that area's behaviour I'm not surprised:

68l6F3P.jpg

I also note, by zooming in, that places like Dewsbury, Bolton & Rochdale are dark purple. Zooming in to London seems to have no such areas at the zoom level I chose, which is surprising given the anti-vax areas.

Last edited:
P1 ( Brazilian ) variant now also found here, again in / around the cess pool that is our capitol.

According to research led by The University of Texas at Austin's Jackson School of Geosciences and C0ckrell School of Engineering: "No compelling evidence was found to include weather as a significant contributor by itself to the spread of the COVID-19."

Severe COVID outbreaks in hot climates like Brazil, Southeastern Asia and elsewhere defied expectations about the spread of the disease. Humidity may well play a role and this is often a factor of ambient temperatures, but unless or until COVID-19 has been with us as an endemic disease for a period of more than one year, perhaps even several years, we will not know for certain whether it is affected by seasonal weather changes.

Last edited:
Humidity may well play a role
It is actually low humidity, not temperature, that is the trigger, which you get either when you turn the heating on due to cold weather, or turn the aircon on due to hot weather, hence UK having spikes in winter and Texas getting hit back in the summer.

It seems to be fairly narrow ranges of humidity though, not just low humidity, proper cold in the far north doesn't cause issues. The common explanation is that it affects the amount and effectiveness of the protective mucus in your throat/lungs which normally prevents the virus making contact with live cells, plenty of info on that:

Lack of humidity does indeed play a role in typical respiratory viral transmission but it has not been shown to be the case with COVID according to the most recent studies. It is still not well understood. Certainly in India, Brazil and other hot humid climates increased humidity has not been protective.

"Researchers are split over whether Covid-19 spreads more easily in dry or humid air after two conflicting studies were released on the same day. University of Sydney experts yesterday said low humidity helps the coronavirus to linger in the air for longer periods, leading to eight new cases with every one per cent drop in humidity. But University of Missouri academics claimed droplets of the virus expelled by coughs and sneezes can stay in the air for 23 times longer in humid conditions. The findings supported research from China, where the pandemic began"

The curve here flattened totally over the summer, and then picked up again in the fall.
Aircon are not really used in Danish private homes, but i figure it is used in commercial buildings.
Prices for building materials have skyrocketed here

Another thing that has caused a disagreement!
It's important that primary schoolchildren don't wear face coverings, says Public Health England's medical adviser Dr Susan Hopkins."

If they are harmful, what about the rest of us?

Twitter

As any fall / winter / spring i am the one rooting for a tropical summer, even if i moan a bit if my wish pan out.

The curve here flattened totally over the summer, and then picked up again in the fall.
same pattern everywhere for flu as well, look at the trends on any country over a period of years and they all peak in the colder months

same pattern everywhere for flu as well, look at the trends on any country over a period of years and they all peak in the colder months

People keep comparing COVID to influenza but they don't seem to behave in quite the same way. As I mentioned earlier it may take several years of study before seasonal patterns, if any, are fully understood.

People keep comparing COVID to influenza but they don't seem to behave in quite the same way. As I mentioned earlier it may take several years of study before seasonal patterns, if any, are fully understood.
the pattern for the last 12 months has still followed the same trend everywhere, doesn't mean you can't catch it in summer if that's how people interpret it, but it does have a bigger impact during the colder months

the pattern for the last 12 months has still followed the same trend everywhere, doesn't mean you can't catch it in summer if that's how people interpret it, but it does have a bigger impact during the colder months

True, but some of that has more to do with people gathering indoors during colder months yet unlike influenza transmission factors appear to be different. For example, fomites have turned out to be less of an issue with COVID than first feared but certain humidity levels and aerosol transmission are more of a problem and somewhat different than flu. I don't think we really fully know yet despite what we all may think we are observing anecdotally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back