COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danes like to be ruled and pampred, so EU are probably where we will be forever or until it is very very too late.

The USA has about 50 million AZ doses, but they are all sitting in the fridge, and they won't share them with the EU :sneaky:

There’s an argument going between between certain federal departments and the White House about the risk of these doses being wasted.

AstraZeneca has asked the US government if Europe could borrow these doses, which would be later replaced.
One of the problems with that idea is Europe’s widely reported ‘vaccine nationalism’ – where it blocks paid-for exports of the vaccine in order to use it in its own citizens.

Australia was caught out this way two weeks ago when Italy refused to export 250,000 doses.
The vaccine has been authorised for use in at least 70 countries – and will be the vaccine given to most Australians.

The main reason why the US is refusing to share its AstraZeneca stockpile with countries in need is because it’s not a good look, politically, at home.

A just released study here indicate that 7 out of 10 having been in ICU with corona, still suffer with pretty severe after effects 6 months later.

The USA has about 50 million AZ doses, but they are all sitting in the fridge, and they won't share them with the EU :sneaky:
Maybe the EU should offer to pay for them as the US did instead of asking to 'borrow' them with a promise to replace them at some vague point in the future.

Maybe the EU should offer to pay for them as the US did instead of asking to 'borrow' them with a promise to replace them at some vague point in the future.
I don't understand why the USA is not using them for its own citizens!

And then I would have thought Canada would be next on the list, but Canada is getting its AZ from India, which isn't refusing to share.

I don't understand why the USA is not using them for its own citizens!

The short answer is that AstraZeneca hasn’t submitted an application to the Food and Drug Administration yet. There have been concerns with flaws in AZ trials and testing procedures and complaints about the data they have provided to U.S. authorities, hence they did not receive emergency authorization to release the vaccine as Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson have.

“As a consumer of this information, it's been actually quite confusing to make sense of the AstraZeneca data,” said Dr. Christian Ramers of Family Health Centers of San Diego.
"Compared to the clinical trials run by Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson, “it’s been a lot messier with AstraZeneca,” Ramers said.

AstraZeneca launched clinical trials in the U.S. and a handful of other countries last summer. A few weeks in, someone had an adverse reaction and the trials were paused worldwide Sept. 6 to investigate.

The company got permission to resume the study in the U.K. six days later. But the FDA didn’t allow the U.S. trials to restart for more than a month, on Oct. 23.

“My understanding is that the clinical trial sites in the U.S. were on pause for a prolonged period because there was not great information sharing between the company and what the FDA asked for,” Dr. Ramers said.

Then in November AstraZeneca revealed there was a mistake in one of the studies. Some British volunteers were accidentally given a half-dose of the shot, rather than a full dose."

The AZ vaccine is likely on target to be formally approved for distribution in the US during the month of April.

Last edited:
I can't verify these things, but I am certain that it would be political suicide for anyone here to allow exportation of vaccine before almost all of us have had ours first. I can imagine the same would happen in most other nations too. Most States here are only now getting around to allowing 'regular' people to get their shots due to previous shortages in supply, so if we do have a surplus it's no stretch to see where it could be quickly used up once approved. I'm still having issues trying to set up my own appointment so I may need to get it done offline instead- another problem we're having over here with many people unable to deal with online registration which should be very simple but often isn't, and nobody is addressing that issue either.

I can't fault a "me first" approach, but to require a vaccine be made only in your political enclave is utterly assinine, possibly even rating as a crime against humanity unless you can supply that vaccine as quickly with the restriction as you can otherwise do. The EU cannot do this, and moreso needs to be held accountable for seizing legal shipments of vaccine intended for other Nations which originate in or pass through the EU. I have a feeling that there will be many 'heads rolling' in the EU during future days when there's more time to focus on that once this pandemic becomes less of a problem, and again I'd have no problem with that either.

Phil

If its pot life are okay to be stockpiled, and it will eventually be cleared for use, then it make good sense to stockpile the stuff.
I am also on board with the "me first" you can not help people if you are sick yourself, or in general terms you can not help a poor country if you are not a rich country yourself.
Okay it do seem like Denmark are able to circumvent this, or actually be okay stifling its own progress to help others,,,,,,, but sane countries should not do that.

You should not give a hungry man a fish, you should give him a fishing rod,,,,,,,, unless he live in a desert, cuz that would just be cruel :)

You should not give a hungry man a fish, you should give him a fishing rod,,,,,,,, unless he live in a desert, cuz that would just be cruel :)
Were it left up to the US politicians they would not only give fishing rods to people in the Sahara, each one would cost the taxpayer $1000 and the politicians would claim it as a huge victory in the fight against world hunger :mad: Worse than that is they'd likely get re-elected next time around :eek: Which is why I fully understand the reasons I haven't gotten my Covid vaccination yet- smart just gets diluted when poured into a sea of stupid :cry:

Phil

I have a feeling that there will be many 'heads rolling' in the EU during future days when there's more time to focus on that once this pandemic becomes less of a problem, and again I'd have no problem with that either.
The EU leadership is made up of unelected politicians, there is no way that the citizens or press can roll their heads!

The EU cannot do this, and moreso needs to be held accountable for seizing legal shipments of vaccine intended for other Nations which originate in or pass through the EU. I have a feeling that there will be many 'heads rolling' in the EU during future days when there's more time to focus on that once this pandemic becomes less of a problem, and again I'd have no problem with that either.

Phil
In a different age this is the kind of event that could have lead to war.

Were it left up to the US politicians they would not only give fishing rods to people in the Sahara, each one would cost the taxpayer $1000 and the politicians would claim it as a huge victory in the fight against world hunger :mad:

Phil
I think you underestimate how expensive government supplied fishing rods specially designed to catch sand fish would really be.

The short answer is that AstraZeneca hasn’t submitted an application
But why not?

70 other nations have approved it, and people in the USA are dying through not receiving vaccine, so shouldn't your government have ensured that the application be made ASAP.

70 other nations have approved it, and people in the USA are dying through not receiving vaccine, so shouldn't your government have ensured that the application be made ASAP.
The government has no power to force a private company to apply to the government for any reason.

The government has no power to force a private company to apply to the government for any reason.
No legal power maybe, but most of the delay must be down to the government, since 70 other governments have approved the vaccine!

For example the nearly 2 month delay to the trials caused by a health problem in one participant that turned out to be nothing to do with the vaccine, other countries paused the trials for a few days, not stopped them for months.

But why not?

Why not? Because AstraZeneca has not yet submitted the proper application to the USFDA and will not be until they complete their still currently ongoing trials after they screwed up the previous ones.

Pay attention!

Also:

The FDA is known for insisting on U.S. clinical trials rather than data from other countries, and the FDA has a history of taking a longer look at drugs than other health agencies.

Famously, European regulators approved a morning sickness pill in the 1950s called thalidomide while the FDA chose to wait for more data.

The FDA’s cautious approach proved wise. The pill turned out to cause serious birth defects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back