COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but the 1 in 40.000 having severe issues scare the hell out of some people here it seem, 50 % of Danes would pass on the AZ vaccine if they was given it.
To me just prove how absolutely pampered / over protected Danes are, pretty much no risk takers left here just ignorant plebs.

Personally i would probably also pass on the AZ vaccine, but also others if i could get a Danish made vaccine by the end of the year instead, even if i would so be a guinea pig in regard to that vaccine.
The statistics are saying that AZ is extra good and risk free for the elderly, so give it to the elderly and give something else to the at risk category, there are several choices available to be shared out in the best way! Unnecessarily delaying people getting vaccinated is certain to result in deaths.

Just as another study shows that the AZ is the most effective at preventing death!

The article you cite makes no mention whatsoever of death prevention!

And the study in question involves merely 165 elderly participants who received only the first dose of the vaccine! There is no indication of the structural protocols of this study. It appears to just be blood testing with no control factors on a very small subset of individuals. It is surprising that anyone would publicize such an inconclusive so called "study" at this point in time for a vaccine that requires two doses to fully achieve its results. The article points out that Helen Parry of Birmingham University who co-led the study states, "We now need to carry out further research to understand what this difference in T cell responses means." So, apparently these results, although promising, are meaningless for now and any claims are premature at this point.

It is increasingly weird that you continue to be so emotionally and nationalistically invested in the AstaZeneca vaccine as if this is a competition of some kind. Each of the currently available mainstream vaccines has its merits, pros & cons. ALL of them have their value in the fight against the pandemic. On the other hand, if you really want to view the vaccines through a competitive lens then the AZ is towards the back of the pack due to the various roll out blunders on AZ's part along with serious unresolved health concerns. On top of that it has been shown to be only 10% effective against the South African COVID variant*. Obviously, this eats you up inside, thus the continued cheer-leading and propaganda campaign.

If this were a competition, then the Moderna and Pfizer/BioNtech vaccines do seem to have the upper hand. Aside from the superior safety profile, as genetically engineered messenger RNA vaccines they can be easily and quickly modified to be effective on any of the current COVID variants and any others than may appear. Moderna has already shipped a tweaked version of their vaccine that was specifically created to fight the B.1.351 (South African) variant to the National Institute of Health for testing. Pfizer/BioNtech has tweaked variant versions of their vaccine in the pipeline, although it is still in the preliminary stages. Both are antipated to be available in the coming months as booster shots if they should become necessary. There is also discussion about a possible third shot. Johnson & Johnson is testing a two-dose regimen. No word from AstraZeneca about the variants other than a suggestion to try mixing the AZ vaccine with a dose of the Pfizer, Novavax or Moderna vaccine with the hope that T-cells will play a role.

Finally, your ultra-nationalistic notion that the development of the Oxford/AstraZeneca was purely some sort of British accomplishment is laughably ridiculous. The US Government provided 1.2 billion dollars in funding to accelerate the development of Oxford University’s coronavirus vaccine candidate in the first place as part of Operation Warp Speed all the way back on May 21, 2020. There was also support from the U.S. National Institute of Heath. For this reason, your previous accusation that the US government was intentionally delaying the approval of the AstraZeneca vaccine in favor of US firms is absurd. No government would intentionally sabotage its own 1.2 billion dollar investment in vaccine development.

*"Perhaps the most concerning variant is B.1.351, the variant first discovered in South Africa and now the dominant variant in that region. Not only is it, like the B.1.1.7 virus, about 50% more transmissible than the original Covid-19 virus, but it seems to be the variant causing the most trouble for vaccines. The Pfizer-BioNTech, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna and Novavax vaccine are all less effective against this variant — though they still prevent severe disease, hospitalization and death. The already-controversial AstraZeneca vaccine, however, is only about 10% effective against it."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leahro...ine-companies-are-battling-covid-19-variants/

Last edited:
I read somewhere that there is now a established procedure in case of severe cases, but of course you have to move fast on this.
The full history of the Danish lady that died from complications are now released, and a little bit scary reading.

I read somewhere that there is now a established procedure in case of severe cases, but of course you have to move fast on this.
The full history of the Danish lady that died from complications are now released, and a little bit scary reading.

Yeah, although rare, this blood clot issue when it occurs does seem to be very serious, thus the suspension of administering the vaccines until it is better understood. The usual procedure for blood clots is to administer heparin but apparently that is contraindicated with these vaccine induced clots. Some of the reports of the people who had vaccine induced blood clots are pretty grim. One man developed severe clotting throughout his entire body!

Saw somewhere the bloodplate count drop for like +100.000 to 5000 or something, thats pretty serious.
The biggest problem i think is to get help fast enough, and have medical staff that is professional and can act fast.

Yeah it is not just a cloth, or it might start off like that, but really fast it go on to be like everywhere if you dont get the correct treatment, which as i understand mainly is a drug that calm down the immune response, and infusions with blood plates.

In a study of a million people, half a million having had the Pfizer vaccine, the rest having the AZ vaccine, the number of people having blood clots was the same for both vaccines. It is only the vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia that appears to be showing increased numbers with AZ and J&J at around 1 in a million, with deaths maybe only occurring if the symptoms are treated using heparin.

It is only the vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia that appears to be showing increased numbers with AZ and J&J

That is correct! But no, heparin is definately not the primary cause of death or the problem itself for that matter. No vaccine is free from complications but compared to the AstraZeneca vaccine, the Pfizer/BioNtech and Moderna vaccines have a much superior safety profile.

On Tuesday, Peter Marks, head of the FDA center that regulates vaccines, said on a call with reporters that there have been no cases of CVST with thrombocytopenia with the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, indicating that the side effect is not occurring with those vaccines.

There were 35 cases of serious blood clots with the vaccine made by Pfizer/BioNTech among 54 million doses given; five cases with the Moderna vaccine among 4 million Europeans dosed.

Despite the spin you seek to put on the situation, Nigel, experienced medical professionals all around the globe are not putting a hold on the AZ or J&J vaccines on a whim.

Last edited:
experienced medical professionals all around the globe are not putting a hold on the AZ or J&J vaccines on a whim.
Not "all around the globe"!

The WHO recommends its continued use, the EMA recommends continuing use.

And on the British Island of Fair Isle, there is no need for vaccine any more since 100% of the adult population has had both doses, with 100% take up :)

heparin is definately not the primary cause of death
Why are you so sure about that? Were all of those that died not incorrectly treated with heparin?

Not "all around the globe"!

The WHO recommends its continued use, the EMA recommends continuing use.

And on the British Island of Fair Isle, there is no need for vaccine any more since 100% of the adult population has had both doses, with 100% take up :)

Why are you so sure about that? Were all of those that died not incorrectly treated with heparin?

Well, the EU and the USA do indeed span quite a bit of the globe. Whether one labels it global or trans-Atlantic is irrelevant and meaningless. But, of course you have nothing to offer except just more petty arguments, Nigel. And yes, heparin is medically contraindicated but not the cause of the blood clots or directly responsible for the platelet problems. It merely seems to exacerbate them.

As usual you try to evade the heart of the discussion. The fact is that the AZ vaccine is halted in numerous countries (or still lacks US government approval) and now the comparable adenovirus vaccine from J&J is having similar problems as well.

Unusual blood clotting has been a serious, troubling and unique symptom of SARS Cov-2 since the disease emerged and it seems likely that there is a relationship with the spontaneous blood clots we are witnessing in the adenovirus vaccines. This could be an interesting topic of discussion, Nigel, but alas, instead, your raison d'être is to endlessly carry a partisan nationalist British torch for the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine regardless of the facts or the outcomes. This mindset colors every post we ever hear from you.

The statistics are saying that AZ is extra good and risk free for the elderly, so give it to the elderly and give something else to the at risk category, there are several choices available to be shared out in the best way! Unnecessarily delaying people getting vaccinated is certain to result in deaths.
Each vaccine seems to have qualities whioch make it better for certain uses. The single-jab J&J my State has reserved for such things is the best possible use for it, as those people may not be around to get their second jab. I wouldn't prefer the AZ jab after the reported problems, but I'd certainly have it over nothing.

No vaccine of any kind for anything is 100% effective with 0% side-effects. We can't really ask a Covid vaccine to be any different.

Phil

True that, i was always told " you might feel a little sick" when i was shot up before i left Denmark to work the world.
I never felt the slightest sick after those shots.

But every time i left after getting those shots i was thinking of pink floyd - comfortably numb.

Cases here have been rising steadily for the past few weeks, Delhi reported 17K+ cases and 100+ fatalities in the last 24 hours. It's even worse in states like Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra.

Night and weekend curfews are back but election rallies and religious gatherings are going unchecked.

When will this end. Sick of it. This is no way to live...:(

@kamkar. I have read that Denmark is or has issued Covid Passports. Is that correct?
If so how does it work? What I cannot find is the general consensus of the population of the country.

Yes we have indeed, they are supposed to be phased out later in the year for a all EU corona passport.

So right now none digital citizens can get a printed version, at least if they are vaccinated, my mother got hers the day before yesterday, and not by her request it just showed up in the mail box.
But in general i think the plan is to use the "my health" APP, the problem is here that using that for instance at your hairdresser, well you pretty much have to flash your entire medical record, from that wart on your foot in 8 grade and onward.
you can also fake this page in the app with a few HTML changes, so it will display just about what you want.

Not sure if it is the same APP or another APP, but the one where you report you have been infected and it then warn everyone you have been near, well very few seem to have used that app, i dont / cant as it would require BT to be on all the time on the phone, and like wifi and GPS i dont do that with my phone.
Also the few people i am around, well i could call and tell them all in under 5 minutes, even f aster if i just did a bulk send to all TXT message ( if thats possible on phones, dont care much about them to know )
I have 10 or so people on my call list / contacts.

Yes we have indeed, they are supposed to be phased out later in the year for a all EU corona passport.

So right now none digital citizens can get a printed version, at least if they are vaccinated, my mother got hers the day before yesterday, and not by her request it just showed up in the mail box.
But in general i think the plan is to use the "my health" APP, the problem is here that using that for instance at your hairdresser, well you pretty much have to flash your entire medical record, from that wart on your foot in 8 grade and onward.
you can also fake this page in the app with a few HTML changes, so it will display just about what you want.

Not sure if it is the same APP or another APP, but the one where you report you have been infected and it then warn everyone you have been near, well very few seem to have used that app, i dont / cant as it would require BT to be on all the time on the phone, and like wifi and GPS i dont do that with my phone.
Also the few people i am around, well i could call and tell them all in under 5 minutes, even f aster if i just did a bulk send to all TXT message ( if thats possible on phones, dont care much about them to know )

You have a wart on your foot? :jawdrop:

I did once but that was like in the mid 90ties, and it was quickly dispatched.
Not that my problems here and there have become smaller or less embarrassing :)

Thank you for the reply. The Europe wide Covid passport, may or may not be implemented. Maybe it will only be for flights. As I understand it some countries have privacy issues with anything like this. I therefore understand that any health passport may not be able to be used for more everyday/local events/daily life.
We will wait and see. Thoughts and ideas change with the passing of time. It is hard to judge what political minds want as they are frighten to be forthright.
We still have a state of emergency in Spain. There is a curfew. We cannot travel from one autonomous community to another. However it is known the French and Germans (in particular) have been coming to the country for vacations.
Every autonomous community has it's own social activity regulations.
The border with Portugal is closed.
The deputy of Spain resigned to fight in a election for Madrid capital. And it would appear Spain is not stable, politically. The state of emergency ends around the 8th of May and there is no plan to easy our way back to some sort of normality. So one day a state of emergency the next day not.
Face masks are compulsory at all times out side. Even when eating and drink at a bar terrace. Only to be lowered when taking a bite of food or a sip of drink.
It was that they had to be used on beaches too. Now we have confusion as the national government said they would change it. But they have not and some, but not all autonomous communities have said they will not enforce the law.
I am personally fortunate in that we (the wife and I) live in a village which has 5 properties. One is a church the others are houses. We have the only one which is occupied. So we live in isolation. However, we do miss not travelling to see hour families in other European countries.

Yeah it is one big mess, not something i at all keep up with.
I did see a picture of our continent today, and which countries Danes could visit with no problems, and which demand some things, and finally a few red flags which do not want to see any Danes visiting ATM
Also dont bother me, i do not travel for recreation, only work have taken me outside of Denmark.

I have welcomed the world to my world, sadly the ungrateful world bring things like closed stores - face masks and so with it interfering with my world, but other than those corona things my life are pretty much normal.
The number of people i see and the number of times i do it, have been the same the past year as any year before it, the corona things i also only do for my own sake, like not going to prison for smacking someone who think he /she can act as corona police, i really do dislike those face masks and i throw it the second i am allowed to.

Thank you for the reply. The Europe wide Covid passport, may or may not be implemented. Maybe it will only be for flights.
Covid passports are a silly idea. Being vaccinated does not mean that you can't catch and carry covid, the vaccines are only around 90% effective at preventing infection, so if you want to stop transmission then the passport does not work. However if a country achieves herd immunity then they very soon have no (zero) infections, so there is no problem accepting their people, covid passport or not. Banning the few people who are not vaccinated for some reason is pointless if there is herd immunity, and if there isn't herd immunity then you need to achieve herd immunity before opening up, otherwise the virus will spread with or without covid passports.

I think the only reason for having covid passports is to force everybody to get vaccinated, and they are probably very effective at doing that!

Cases here have been rising steadily for the past few weeks, Delhi reported 17K+ cases and 100+ fatalities in the last 24 hours. It's even worse in states like Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra.

Night and weekend curfews are back but election rallies and religious gatherings are going unchecked.

When will this end. Sick of it. This is no way to live...:(
It will end as soon as you have herd immunity, not before. Your vaccine rollout is not fast enough to beat the current wave of infection, so it will depend on the spread of the virus, probably a peak in about 2 months and about 4 months to get back to low infections.

Several countries are asking to buy AZ vaccines in Danish freezers.
The benevolent Danish rulers are considering a little bit, for people already shot up 1 time with AZ to get the #2 jab too if they like to ( and quite a few actually do )
But i am almost sure the urge to babysit the Danes will win out over these poor bastards caught in vaccine limbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back