COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay that was probably BS main stream news i read, the ministry of foreign affairs office still advise against any travel to the whole of Australia. :rolleyes:

O well give me time to get my good karma in order.

pretty incredible technology, we're lucky they were at the stage they were at already to be able to get this done so quickly

It certainly is! I liked the quote from the technician who said changing the vaccine for a variant or different virus would be like swapping a CD to change the music on the same CD player.

When things get dialed in, making changes seem so mundane even if it is a rather complex thing.
How much corona vaccine could all the ice on Greenland keep cool,,,,,, that be the vaccines that dont require insane low temperatures.

They are talking of a lot of variants now, but even if it is exopctic Indian variants showing up here, no one really care much, and the open up process are in full gear ( which i also think it should be, the target must be to have as much open as possible )

Yeah, on the evening news they were talking about how they think there may be a range of new variants happening in India. They also said there were more than 200,000 new cases today with the potential for 500,000 cases a day in India!.

Yeah, on the evening news they were talking about how they think there may be a range of new variants happening in India. They also said there were more than 200,000 new cases today with the potential for 500,000 cases a day in India!.
I read something earlier today saying 6 in 10 tested were coming back positive there right now

I read something earlier today saying 6 in 10 tested were coming back positive there right now

The other thing they mentioned on the news was that Mumbai and New Delhi have been running out of COVID tests so to a certain extent they don't even fully know how many are infected at the moment. I'm sure @Harsh could tell us more about what is going on. Things seem to have really made a turn for the worse at any rate. It hasn't helped that Prime Minister Modi has been holding huge super-spreader election rallies with tens of thousands in attendance. Shades of Trump's rallies in the midst of the worst part of the pandemic here in the U.S.

The other thing they mentioned on the news was that Mumbai and New Delhi have been running out of COVID tests so to a certain extent they don't even fully know how many are infected at the moment. I'm sure @Harsh could tell us more about what is going on. Things seem to have really made a turn for the worse at any rate. It hasn't helped that Prime Minister Modi has been holding huge super-spreader election rallies with tens of thousands in attendance. Shades of Trump's rallies in the midst of the worst part of the pandemic here in the U.S.
the positive rates wasn't even the headline, apparently they are running out of oxygen in the hospitals, not having a good time of it right now that's for sure

the positive rates wasn't even the headline, apparently they are running out of oxygen in the hospitals, not having a good time of it right now that's for sure

Yeah, it sounds pretty grim. People dying in parking lots who can't even get into hospitals because there is no capacity.

yeah there was a story about some journalist there that just died, the hospital wouldn't admit him until his test result came back that showed he was positive, he died before the results turned up, pretty grim when they're having to be that selective about who they'll admit

They are talking of a lot of variants now, but even if it is exopctic Indian variants showing up here, no one really care much, and the open up process are in full gear ( which i also think it should be, the target must be to have as much open as possible )
There may be many new variants, but there are only about two mutations that have made the virus “more transmittable”. They have appeared in several new variants independently, some times in combination. India seems to have come up with their own combined version causing their current problems. This is only a real problem if our current vaccines don’t cope with these mutations, but it looks like they do, certainly to prevent hospitalisation, so these are nothing to worry about, and as time passes it is getting increasingly unlikely that a problematic version will arrive, still possible but unlikely.

Not good for India though, they are still a long way from having enough vaccinations+infections to stop the spread of the double mutant.

The situation is indeed very grim. One hospital ran out of oxygen in the middle of the night, resulting in 10 patients dying. Oxygen meant for industrial use is now being diverted to hospitals. The 2nd wave is seeing more cases of breathlessnes than other viral symptoms. People are dying waiting in ambulances as hospitals have run out of ICU beds. Long lines of ambulances waiting outside all Covid hospitals. Graveyards are running out of space and funeral pyres are burning through the day and night.

Delhi is kind of locked down again till Monday, with the possibility of it being extended. Mumbai shut much before but from what I've been told, it's not being enforced like the lockdown from last year. Not all states are willing to lockdown. In UP the high court took cognisance and ordered a lockdown but the state government appealed and got it stayed by the Supreme Court.

I saw a video from one of the rallies, our man is telling the people that he's elated to see so many people come out in support for their party. Thousands were stuck to each other, leave alone social distancing and masks. Disgusting!

They're saying that with such an exponential rise, this wave will peak by mid May. Seems a little optimistic imo.

They're saying that with such an exponential rise, this wave will peak by mid May. Seems a little optimistic imo.
Is this herd immunity coupled with vaccinations or will there be no more people left to die? :eek:

Seems a bit early, but the places that are currently bad will certainly start to level off soon, the exponential rise never lasts very long. After it starts to flatten off you will still have a month of high case numbers though before the hospitals are coping again, so it is far from over.

Another problem is that it is very likely to spread out of the city centres around the rest of the country, and that could take months.

Is this herd immunity coupled with vaccinations or will there be no more people left to die? :eek:
All of those, but most people do not die, even among the very elderly, and those that survive are then immune.

All of those, but most people do not die, even among the very elderly, and those that survive are then immune.
Thank you for stating the obvious! You obviously missed the joke.:banghead:

Another problem is that it is very likely to spread out of the city centres around the rest of the country, and that could take months.

That's a big concern, especially after what transpired in the past weeks at Haridwar. Majority of the attendees were from small towns and villages. People started taking alternate routes through villages to get there after a RT-PCR report to enter was made mandatory, which anyway with the sheer numbers was not physically enforceable. Over a million people attended on one of the days while it was still on. Again no masks or social distancing.

It's only after Modi's appeal and one of the head priests getting infected and dying, the crowds start thinning.

I cannot understand why people are so thick-skulled. The ONLY way to bring this pandemic to a close is for EVERYONE to follow the rules without exception. It is those who do not follow the rules that are causing things to continue.

Sometimes I wish we were allowed to 'educate' these fools with a baseball bat- THAT would solve the problem quickly :cool:

Phil

Spot on, we have many Covidiots who are so thick they are spreading it around without any thought for the vulnerable.

Why Whatsapp haven't deleted the accounts of those who are spreading hoax theories beats me. Then there are the ones who reckon the vaccine contains a microchip to track us all. Unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back