COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your supposed to wash the germs off your hands before leaving, so germs on the faucet handles don't matter, assuming they are automatic turn off as they almost always are here, then you can't leave germs on the door handle either. But I don't understand why you think you are more likely to pick up germs on wet hands than dry hands, I would expect it to be the other way around, any studies to show the truth?

Germs are not more attracted to wet hands really, it's just that when you touch a contaminated fomite with wet hands they will grow there more readily because most microbes grow in moist places. That's why when people talk about staying healthy during flu season they say wash your hands often and dry thoroughly.

they will grow there more readily because most microbes grow in moist places.
Viruses are incapable of growing outside the cells of the host organism.

Viruses are incapable of growing outside the cells of the host organism.

Yes, but they will survive longer on wet surfaces. And viruses are certainly not the only contaminates on fomites. What is your point, anyway? You seem to want to justify touching public restroom door handles with your wet hands. Jeez, and you're the guy who always wants to show everyone that you are alllegedly the smartest guy in the room. :rolleyes:

Just dropping by for a moment- hope to have better internet soon. All good here for me but my State has hit the bug upward cirve and my metro area is one of the fastest growing numbers. Plus they're talking hige numbers and longer times too so I may be stuck here awhile. One bit of good news: a local Doctor/Hospital group has invented a splitter which allows one ventilator to serve up to 4 people, and the FDA has given it emergency approval. The shared plans are online for any hospital to have 3D printed (y)

But it also seems that nationally we're now on a road of insanity where we might lead the world in deaths both by numbers per nation and by percentages, all in hope to try to save the "economy". I didn't know that you could have one of those without people to make it work (and to do work). I'm hoping the Governors of all the States decide to do the right thing regardless of what Washington wants them to do. My States Governor seems to not want to actally order us to remain at home but he did point out we've got a Law which prohibits unnecessary gatherings of more than 3 people and he's asked that it be enforced where needed. Seems there's a lot of people here not following his requests to remain isolated, lots of businesses are still open but no dining in at bars or restaurants, parks and campgrounds are closing, and Cities and Counties are beginning to act for tighter controls on their own with curfews and mandatory closings.

I haven't been out to see any of that. I'm just staying in a small outbuilding alone and apart from almost all social human contact. Good weather for 'camping out' like this and I don't need anything. It would be nice to be at home and at work, but too much risk there. I'm working on getting better internet and will be back soon. I hope we haven't had anyone here on DCT affected but that looks like an impossibility at this point as too many people in too many places are seeing huge outbreaks :( All we cabn do is our best and to hang on tight for the rest; this is probably going to be a rough ride

TTFN,I'll drop back by here when I can stay awhile.

Phil

Just dropping by for a moment- hope to have better internet soon. All good here for me but my State has hit the bug upward cirve and my metro area is one of the fastest growing numbers. Plus they're talking hige numbers and longer times too so I may be stuck here awhile. One bit of good news: a local Doctor/Hospital group has invented a splitter which allows one ventilator to serve up to 4 people, and the FDA has given it emergency approval. The shared plans are online for any hospital to have 3D printed (y)

But it also seems that nationally we're now on a road of insanity where we might lead the world in deaths both by numbers per nation and by percentages, all in hope to try to save the "economy". I didn't know that you could have one of those without people to make it work (and to do work). I'm hoping the Governors of all the States decide to do the right thing regardless of what Washington wants them to do. My States Governor seems to not want to actally order us to remain at home but he did point out we've got a Law which prohibits unnecessary gatherings of more than 3 people and he's asked that it be enforced where needed. Seems there's a lot of people here not following his requests to remain isolated, lots of businesses are still open but no dining in at bars or restaurants, parks and campgrounds are closing, and Cities and Counties are beginning to act for tighter controls on their own with curfews and mandatory closings.

I haven't been out to see any of that. I'm just staying in a small outbuilding alone and apart from almost all social human contact. Good weather for 'camping out' like this and I don't need anything. It would be nice to be at home and at work, but too much risk there. I'm working on getting better internet and will be back soon. I hope we haven't had anyone here on DCT affected but that looks like an impossibility at this point as too many people in too many places are seeing huge outbreaks :( All we cabn do is our best and to hang on tight for the rest; this is probably going to be a rough ride

Phil

Now is as good as a time as ever to fire up the ole still :cool: Make some hand sanitizer and such. “Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.”

Attachments

• 150616134355-moonshine-sutton-still-exlarge-169.jpg
    150616134355-moonshine-sutton-still-exlarge-169.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Seem like the US have ostracized New Jersey.

new jersey.jpg

Maybe in line with the presidents name calling of African countries NJ have been reassigned to that region too. :LOL:

Phil
Good to hear from you Phil. Stay safe!

The capitol of Finland have been blocked off, no one in, no one out.
Like NYC the town seem extra hard hit, so blockaded.
And i hear they are putting temporary morgues in NYC near hospitals, about a week and the dead of NYC go into reefer containers.

Danish government contemplate lowering assembly sizes from 10 people to just 2 people.
Laws regarding cheating on government grants or for that matter stealing sanitary supplies from hospitals and pharmacies ASO have been 4X ed, so you can now get 4 years prison time for that.
Yesterday 10,000 was queued up on the internet to get their hands on government grants to pay workers / pay rent / keep businesses up and ,,,,, well not running ATM.

It is funny / strange huge corporations have 0 spare money for something like this, i think they just prefer to spend someone else's money as large companies often have a strong resemblance to parasites.

Its not many years ago tax payers bailed out banks, and what do they do for us now in return.

You are comparing the capital of Finland with NYC?

The capitol of Finland have been blocked off, no one in, no one out.
They are up to 3 deaths now, for the entire country.

Like NYC the town seem extra hard hit, so blockaded.
From yesterday,
Denmark Total cases: 1,724 , Total deaths: 34
NY New cases yesterday: 6,618, New deaths yesterday: 95

NY has a slightly bigger population than Denmark and Finland, but not much difference between the three.

Yeah i think it will be fair to compare Denmark and NY, though maybe in population density its not fair, many Danes do live in or around the capitol, but the city itself only have 0.6 mill people living there.
Maybe New York will end up now as in the movie Escape from New York, but for other reasons. :)
First it was a cornered off "plague" infested place, then it became a open air prison, someone need to call Snake Plissken and ask.

snake-plissken.png

The Finnish capitol will get blocaded as it see extra high numbers of infected in the country, so as a precautionary measure i think it make sense.

.....One bit of good news: a local Doctor/Hospital group has invented a splitter which allows one ventilator to serve up to 4 people, and the FDA has given it emergency approval. The shared plans are online for any hospital to have 3D printed (y)

this has been done in italy too, though this can serve as an "emergency" solution, better a shared ventilator than no ventilator, but keep in mind it does not run at its best performance.

Today's Danish numbers.
Total tested: 15981
Total infected: 1851
In hospital: 386
In ICU: 94
On ventilator: 78
Total dead: 41

Today's Danish numbers.
Total tested: 15981
Total infected: 1851
In hospital: 386
In ICU: 94
On ventilator: 78
Total dead: 41
Based on your population and average lifespan, you should have roughly 190 deaths per day. Have to assume that you are not testing most of your elderly, so if they die it is put down to old age, even if they have the virus.

Listened to a scientist on BBC radio last night, he was trying to calculate the death toll for the year, came to the conclusion that since it was a good year for the flu (low death count), and would get even better due to the lockdown preventing flu and cold viruses spreading, along with the fact that the virus is only killing those with underlying medical conditions (unlike the flu) that would kill a lot of them before the end of the year anyway, that the excess deaths for this year may well be negative!

I see on the deaths per million people, UK, Denmark and Sweden are currently equal on 7 :)

No, they will be ramping up to 5K tests daily, but that's not what happen today where the average in the past 2 weeks have been like 800 or so.
And you also need to test and identify a lot if you are going to open up the country, otherwise it will backfire on you i think.

But i will see it before i believe it.

And you also need to test and identify a lot if you are going to open up the country, otherwise it will backfire on you i think.
No need, when we see the daily new cases dropping, the restrictions can be relaxed, a little at a time, so that the hospitals stay reasonably busy.
If you change the testing then it is hard to judge when it is time to relax the restrictions, everyone complained when the Chinese did that!

Most of the European countries have now levelled off on daily new cases, so we may already be at the peak, and less restrictions will be needed soon. Remembering that the more restrictions you add, the sooner you reach the peak level, but the longer it takes to drop back down again, and some countries will have more than 1 peak, where different cities get there at different times, the biggest cities normally peak first. Now that we have avoided the NASA type graph of the USA, the only reason for the restrictions is so that the hospitals can cope, so you want to relax the restrictions to keep them full and thus get it over with as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back