COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could be just the beginning of bad actions resulting from corona. Everything could get a lot worse. It is impossible to know what will be the match that lights the tinder of fear, when it will happen, or even if it will happen. The big cities might see larger trouble than this if the infection rates get to high or supplies run to low. When people panic nothing works out well. This situation was based on panic.

"On March 27, several people cut down a tree and blocked the road to a home on the island. When one of the people from the home went to check why cable service was out, he found the tree. A neighbor started yelling at him and a group of people showed up and began to gather around the man who retreated to the residence and called for aid.

The tree was cut to force the people in the home to self quarantine. The people were from outside Maine but had been here for more than 30 days."

This information comes to late for some. Masks are difficult to find.
Some people were infected because this information did not arrive soon enough for them.

This information comes to late for some. Masks are difficult to find.
Some people were infected because this information did not arrive soon enough for them.

I don't claim any great level of intelligence, but I saw this coming. Some time back all the 'leaders' were telling us that masks were ineffective, yet a few sentences later they said that the shortage of masks due to hoarding was impairing the medical response because they needed masks to protect themselves against the virus. Last time I checked, Doctors and Nurses were also human and built like the rest of us, so if masks were effective for them then they had to be effective for us too ;) If they were not effective or not necessary there clearly would be no need for medical folks to have them which they obviously do. But nobody wants to listen to a simple relatively uneducated Carpenter for it's obvious that I can't be right compared to people like them...

Now either these 'leaders' are stupid fools or we are stupid fools for not calling them out on this obvious discrepancy earlier, or both :sick: And any idiot can tell you that even if a mask doesn't catch all the nasty things, it just has to catch some of them, which has got to be better than going without a mask and letting everything have a totally open door into your body instead :eek:

And here again I find reason to not follow anyone except myself because only the led can be misled as has so clearly happened here.

Phil

Actually, too many open tabs drives me a bit bonkers. A good technique I like is to have a number of tabs open and then launch a new window with a new set of tabs, switching between windows when needed.
I've found a number of browser plugins/add-ons (I use Firefox but assume other browsers have similar capabilities) that make managing multiple tabs a lot easier by moving them to the side of the screen. Many of them (most?) have the ability to organize open tabs in a tree format where you can set up multiple nested 'branches' that can be individually managed (collapsed, closed, etc.).

Search for Add-Ins/Plug-Ins like 'Tree Tabs', 'Side Tabs', etc.

Today's numbers from the festering nation of Denmark.

Total tested: 39928 ( up 4260 over yesterday )
Total infected: 4077 ( MASH ) ( up 320 over yesterday )
In hospital: 507 ( down 10 over yesterday )
In ICU: 142 ( down 1 over yesterday )
On ventilator: 112 ( down 4 over yesterday )
Total dead: 161 ( up 21 over yesterday )

Total recovered: 1283 ( up 190 over yesterday )

Florida are not the only city with a cruise ship, we got one in the little town of Frederica, but it only have its crew of 479 and they are all well but asked to stay on the ship for their own safety.
The ship was kicked out of Bermerhafen in Germany to make room for cargo ships, so only a short sail to a more friendly port.
The ship have been provided with free internet so crew can contact family at home, the ship are supposed to stay here for 4 weeks.

776f984a-1aa9-4475-be39-556c6b3f48ca.jpg

Always be the friendly host. :)

Tell that to the Aussies who are asking people on temp visas to bugger off.

Last edited:
Since the coronavirus spread like wildfire across the globe, toilet paper has been one of the main protagonists of the crisis. Juli Gudehus has been collecting toilet rolls since 1989 and now, in the time of coronavirus, her long-standing passions is finally seeing the light.

I've found a number of browser plugins/add-ons (I use Firefox but assume other browsers have similar capabilities) that make managing multiple tabs a lot easier by moving them to the side of the screen. Many of them (most?) have the ability to organize open tabs in a tree format where you can set up multiple nested 'branches' that can be individually managed (collapsed, closed, etc.).

Search for Add-Ins/Plug-Ins like 'Tree Tabs', 'Side Tabs', etc.

I'm a Firefox user so thanks for the tip! Amazing to see how many tab related plug-ins are available! Tree Tabs looks good.

Now that i am on VPN and it pretty much killing my gigabit speed and responsiveness i have started with opening a few favorite places in each its own tab, cuz it seem like once the VPN have a session going it become more responsive.
But in a new tab and opening some random page it take 10 X longer than with the VPN off.

But i can have more than a handful or so tabs open, more than that mess with my mind.

At least put on a mask and sap gloves when you rough up your hoes.

Last edited:

Oh man, is that really what Tesla was talking about? Those are CPAP machine for people with Sleep Apnea :ROFLMAO: I have that Resmed S9 machine with all those same parts myself. I think it would help people who can't breathe on their own as this will have enough pressure.

Attachments

• cpap-machine-reviews-201314-4-638.jpg
    cpap-machine-reviews-201314-4-638.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 9
Oh man, is that really what Tesla was talking about? Those are CPAP machine for people with Sleep Apnea :ROFLMAO: I have that Resmed S9 machine with all those same parts myself. I think it would help people who can't breathe on their own as this will have enough pressure.
Don't know about that particular machine, but in Italy, half the patients put on CPAP machines have avoided needing a full ventilator. Half the UK's 20,000 additional "ventilators" will be Dyson CPAP machines, so I assume that for milder cases they may actually be better in some ways. Maybe more comfortable for the patient than having a breathing tube stuffed down your esophagus?

The machines supplied by Tesla are sourced from ResMed, Philips & Medtronic. While ResMed is primarily known for CPAP machines they also make other breathing related medical devices including ventilators.

resmed.jpg

resmed2.jpg

resmed3.jpg

Last edited:
Numbers here in SC today are 1917 known cases and 40 dead. Our Governor has added to the list of non-essential businesses which must close down temporarily, but we still don't have a direct "shelter-in-place" stay at home order. My metro area has had a rapid increase in the growth-curve of cases and we're quickly going from #3 or 4 to #2, and we're probably going to take the #1 spot when all is said and done :( The Governor also ordered DHEC (the State agency for health issues) to begin listing cases by postal "zip" codes instead of by County because our Counties cover so much area that wasn't allowing any real understanding of what is going on and where exactly it was happening. There are also Counties which have one or more big cities in them, and the outer areas which are being affected differently so this a very good move for us (y) In this I'm finding darn few cases here in the hills where I'm 'hiding' while the big urban area of this same County is getting hammered hard, so it looks like I chose he right place to be through this :cool:

Me knowing many of the local zip-codes and the areas represented, I took a look at the new breakdown of cases here. As expected denser populations like city centers had more, but I noticed a trend which I half-suspected I'd find which correlates to what I'm hearing from other places nation-wide: The poorest urban areas have a much higher rate of cases than nearby but similar areas are seeing. These are the usual high-crime-rate areas which also score lowest on education tests, and my personal experience shows me that these areas have more than their share of stupid and socially misbehaved people in them. They are apparently acting as if nothing is going on and not adhering to the social-distancing guidelines being recommended :mad: This discrepancy is but one of the lessons which will come from our handling of Covid-19, and I must wonder how- or if- it will become a consideration of our social order in the future. As someone who has spent much of my life in these poorer areas I can say that they really need to be treated differently than most places do because of the types of people prevailing there :eek: Just one of the nasty truths we need to deal with better in our world which is once again proving to be detrimental to society as a whole overall, only this time the endemic problems of these areas aren't staying there but are spreading everywhere else instead :cautious: I'm not sure how to best do this (or how to do it at all), only that it needs doing if we're going to survive as a species in the next thousand years time.

I've been busy with chores up here and sleeping far too much, only getting out about once every 10 days to shop for groceries and other odds and ends (really just an excuse to get out a bit as my friend here brings me what I/we might need), and to get some things in and out of my storage unit. I've refreshed and reorganized my 'bug out bag' which I'd too long neglected, changing out some expired supplies and some of the approaches and items in it to better match my needs today. I'm going to need a new backpack when this is over too- the surplus military one I've been keeping around is far too heavy for me anymore. I've also learned something about food supplies while being 'bugged out'; my preparations have proven to be good but need a little fine-tuning as some of the cooking I planned to do has proven to be a problem if using only the gear i had packed away for things like this. Luckily I have access to a house and it's resources which has smoothed out the bumpier parts of my path. So far, this hasn't been a bad experience for me, but only a different one, which has had some benefits to it. It's definitely a far more peaceful life away from the hustle-and-bustle of my usual urban life and were it not for the underlying cause I'd be fully enjoying my return to the hills here which I feel so deeply attached to. This is where I belong in this world and when I finally retire this is where I'll hopefully be spending the rest of my days on this sometimes-crazy big blue planet :)

Phil

The numbers from today.

Total tested: 43,734 ( up 3806 over yesterday ) we are working towards 10000 tested daily.
Total infected: 4369 ( up 292 over yesterday )
In hospital: 504 ( down 3 over yesterday )
In ICU: 144 ( down 2 over yesterday )
On ventilator: 107 ( down 5 over yesterday )
Total dead: 179 ( up 18 over yesterday )

Total recovered: 1327 ( up 44 over yesterday )

Patients are spending longer on ventilator than estimated doctors say.

A Danish air force C 130 flying 7.5 tonnes medical equipment to Mali and retrieving soldiers as part of the ongoing UN mission there had room to spare on the return trip, so 28 civilians from various EU countries was offered a ride in the direction of home.
Probably not as "comfortable" as a cheap airline seat, but i am sure the people was happy about the deal none the less, if not i will kick their ungrateful asses.

A Danish air force C 130 flying 7.5 tonnes medical equipment to Mali and retrieving soldiers as part of the ongoing UN mission there had room to spare on the return trip, so 28 civilians from various EU countries was offered a ride in the direction of home.
Probably not as "comfortable" as a cheap airline seat, but i am sure the people was happy about the deal none the less, if not i will kick their ungrateful asses.
Not often you get to go on a propeller driven aircraft these days, well worth the experience, even if it does take rather a long time to travel that distance, and you probably don't have a window!

In this I'm finding darn few cases here in the hills where I'm 'hiding' while the big urban area of this same County is getting hammered hard, so it looks like I chose he right place to be through this :cool:
You might want to compare cases/population rather than just cases, generally the hills seem to have about the same infection rate per person as the towns, there are just less people. If you go into a shop then the risk is the same as in the towns, building up to maximum in about 2 weeks.

Personally i would love a trip in a C 130, not least if it was a AC 130 and i was allowed to squeaze off a few rounds.

That would make me a very very happy little puppy.

39208cf8b670af2aefd00a84435c3f63.jpg

My last propeller ride was a Sikorsky helicopter on Greenland, that was also pretty cool landing in a total whiteout of snow, aside for little Cessna's i have never tried propeller planes.

Last edited:
My last propeller ride was a Sikorsky helicopter on Greenland, that was also pretty cool landing in a total whiteout of snow, aside for little Cessna's i have never tried propeller planes.
The bigger propeller planes with variable pitch propellers were far more interesting than jets, you sit at the start of the runway with the engines running full speed, then to go from parked to full acceleration just required changing the prop pitch, no need to spin up the jet turbines, so they really could throw you into the back of the seats and can be off the ground in a few seconds on the shorter runways. Normally with a lot of noise and vibration until you got up to speed and the props started working efficiently.

Those big Sikorsky helicopters were just like busses, I've toured the north sea oil rigs on them. The interesting ones were the small ones for traveling between rigs that the pilots could throw around and normally did.

Jets don't take off like a C130:

My first time in a helicopter was in 1985 or something visiting Normandy, it was pretty expensive for those 15 minutes of flight, but the pilot sure did all he could to make it worth it.
To this day still the wildest "roller coaster" ride i have ever been on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back