COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fauci does medicine and nothing else. There has tio be somebody believable to put a face on things, and Trump knows who his betters are- Fauci tops that list :cool:

One of my clients who has his main residence in AZ and who has been there for a couple months has passed along some serious information: he has lost taste and smell, and has flu-like symptoms but he says they feel weird compared to other flu's he's had. Test results will be back soon but given all this, he's sure to have Covid-19 :( First person I know of personally to have it. He's a good-hearted man and good with business too so I hope he comes through this OK. We're pulling for you Paul (y)

I think we're going to be seeing serious rollbacks happening more and more here in the US, and many types of businesses are going to suffer greatly. A realignment of what and who is actually needed along with a revaluing of people's actual worth to the economy is coming. Anything which needs masses of people to generate it's revenue is going to take the hardest hit of all. Doesn't really matter if they get a perfect vaccine out to everyone tomorrow because there's always going to be another pandemic coming and it's going to require (and this time get) the early shutting down of anything and everything where people congregate as we've learned how important a tough early response is to dealing with pandemics well.

Phil

Even though my area has had very little covid, I was planning on attending an expat July 4th party today, held in a very small cafe. I'm going to drive by, but if it's crowded....not stopping.

Not sure why CNN would say that
The situation has been clarified, the coronavirus task force has been banned from USA TV since 12th June, CNBC was also carrying clips from UK radio:

Today I've been learning about the UK's use of aircraft carriers along with rockets in the USA civil war which led to your national anthem; bit hard to understand when the lesson comes from Trump!

Donald Trump made an embarrassing error when addressing crowds during his Independence Day speech, saying the army 'took over the airports' from the British during the revolutionary war in the late 1700s

Last edited:
The situation has been clarified, the coronavirus task force has been banned from USA TV since 12th June, CNBC was also carrying clips from UK
Accuracy is a little off as I saw Dr. Fauci on live TV a few days ago. Dr. Birx has also been on live TV as well as other members of that task force. Dr. Fauci also testified in front of congress recently.

O yeah thats right, off my beat as just about everyone on my good side want a piece of me the past days.
My M8 on Thursday, and my sister Friday and Saturday, but now i finally think i can have a little Me time until Tuesday where my M8 probably will be in dire need of some assistance from his friend.

Happy 4 of July.

Can not make a new recording, we have run out of red white and blue + stars, so a rerun will have to suffice.

Accuracy is a little off as I saw Dr. Fauci on live TV a few days ago. Dr. Birx has also been on live TV as well as other members of that task force. Dr. Fauci also testified in front of congress recently.

On CBS’s “Face the Nation” on Sunday morning, host Margaret Brennan gave viewers an unusual peek behind the booking curtain. “We think it’s important for our viewers to hear from Dr. Anthony Fauci and the Centers for Disease Control,” she said to the camera. “But we have not been able to get our requests for Dr. Fauci approved by the Trump administration in the last three months, and the CDC not at all. We will continue our efforts.” CBS isn’t the only media outlet with this issue: Fauci and other key health-policy figures on the administration’s coronavirus task force have been largely pulled from the airwaves in recent weeks while cases surge nationwide. Their absence makes sense, though, when you realize that even in the midst of this deadly pandemic, the administration’s top priority is the president’s image.
In explaining Fauci’s absence from television, an administration source told CNN that Fauci’s interviews had too much “doom and gloom” to fit the Trump view that everything is fine.

I do not get involved in politics as it seems to bring out the idiocy in otherwise normally intelligent people. However, relying on anything coming from the sewer of CNN stretches even that further than I wish to go.
I think this quote is appropriate: “one of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bulls**t.”…Dr. Harry G. Frankfurt

It's truly sad that journalism has reached this low. When I was young all the media sources were decent with little bias; it was every journalist's pride to be fair and accurate. Now with every source it's about selling something; either growing the advertising sales or gaining adherents to your viewpoint :( And citizen-journalism doesn't help much because most people do not realize that they're only seeing and showing the one point of view from where they're standing at the moment :cautious: But the upside of that is with so many people reporting everything, the media dare not overlook it in hopes that nobody will see them hiding the truth ;)

Like they used to say on "The X Files" TV show, the truth is out there. You've just got to sift through a ton of BS to find it and it's not going to be found in one place :mad:

Phil

Edited my signature yesterday.

Reality is under no obligation to be convenient and comforting to you.
But now it seem like reality are getting more and more obscure, so getting to deal with it are harder and harder, so people have to come up with stuff they think are reality and then respond to that.

It's truly sad that journalism has reached this low. When I was young all the media sources were decent with little bias; it was every journalist's pride to be fair and accurate. Now with every source it's about selling something; either growing the advertising sales or gaining adherents to your viewpoint :( And citizen-journalism doesn't help much because most people do not realize that they're only seeing and showing the one point of view from where they're standing at the moment :cautious: But the upside of that is with so many people reporting everything, the media dare not overlook it in hopes that nobody will see them hiding the truth ;)

Like they used to say on "The X Files" TV show, the truth is out there. You've just got to sift through a ton of BS to find it and it's not going to be found in one place :mad:

Phil
(y)

relying on anything coming from the sewer of CNN stretches even that further than I wish to go.
It's better than listening to the White House claiming that USA has "the lowest Fatality (Mortality) Rate in the World" and is giving world leadership in the fight against covid-19!

Kayleigh McEnany Claims World Sees US As 'Leader' On COVID Response

Well i do hope the ventilators the US deployed around the world where better than the ones Denmark offered Italy, cuz that was a embarrassment ( again ) on a monumental scale. ( we might as well have sent the Italians a half ton of Lego's and some CA glue and told them to figure it out )

On a personal note it seem every time my hope for the human future are boosted a little, some worm come out of the woodwork and spit in my face.

I do like Trumps playing with words, i wonder if he use words like facetwitt and Fletnix too

BTW the US are 396 dead for every 1 mill inhabitants, the same number for Denmark are 105, so yes i can see they got us whipped.

I wonder if this is why they will start new episodes of Beavis and Butthead.

Last edited:
BTW the US are 396 dead for every 1 mill inhabitants, the same number for Denmark are 105, so yes i can see they got us whipped.
Trump's maths is perfectly clear, from yesterday's figures...

Denmark: New cases 46, New Deaths 1, 1/46*100= 2.2% fatality rate.
USA: New cases 50,586, New Deaths 378, 378/50586*100= 0.75% fatality rate.
UK: New cases 352, New Deaths 16, 16/352*100= 4.4% fatality rate.

Denmark: New cases 46 / 5.8 population = 7.93 new cases / million
USA: New cases 50,586 / 331.0 population = 152.83 new cases / million
UK: New cases 352 / 67.9 population = 5.18 new cases / million

So USA wins on least fatality, and UK wins on least infections.

Of course with the USA having quadrupled its new cases in the last couple of weeks, their fatality rate is going to change dramatically, probably this week and certainly next, especially when (if) they run out of hospital places and so can't use their new treatments. (Although they won't count the deaths outside hospital as covid deaths!)

There is also the issue of the USA only counting around half their covid-deaths while the UK appears to be overcounting.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we're under-counting, at least not everywhere. Some funding being distributed is based on the need for it, so under-counting can mean less funding and hospitals who are eligible for that funding understand this.

Daily numbers do vary, so what was true yesterday could be vastly different tomorrow, and that difference is most likely to be much worse given all the reports of spiking and spreading. And not meaning to sound heartless or morbid here, but it's to be expected that death rates will fall once most of the high-vulnerability people have already died from Covid-19 and all you have left are those more likely to survive it.

More and more places here are rolling back their re-openings but it's probably too late to regain control for most of them. It seems that the spiking closely correlates to allowing places where people congregate to re-open, and especially where young people predominate. They seem to think they're not vulnerable and they are the demographic who least adhere to following the necessary precautions :mad: They also tend to have a wider 'social circle' so that means both a bigger area for spreading and more people involved in that- the "perfect storm" of virus transmission. But among older adults past their twenties I am seeing high percentages of masks and gloves in use as well as a more concerted effort toward social distancing than I've seen before now. It seems us more mature folks now understand that we can't believe anything being said by media or politicians and that nobody is doing anything to help us, so we have to take this on ourselves individually and as a community. We're beginning to pull together by not coming together :cool: This is also happening in my small town where in the past things were more casual because we had nearly zero cases locally (y)

I did notice the UK has opened the pubs back up now, so best expect some spiking and localized outbreaks there :( Hopefully there's better contract tracing and more government ability to rectify problems than we've got here. It seems that nobody wants to face the fact that we simply cannot allow close social contact in numbers more than a few regardless of what effect those restrictions have on anything else. You cannot re-open before you get the numbers low enough or you will get flare-ups.

Australia is also having trouble in it's second most populous area with the region being locked down and isolated :cry: The numbers I've seen look like they can be much better handled than the huge numbers we have here so hopefully they will get through it easier and more quickly.

Phil

I did notice the UK has opened the pubs back up now, so best expect some spiking and localized outbreaks there :( Hopefully there's better contract tracing and more government ability to rectify problems than we've got here. It seems that nobody wants to face the fact that we simply cannot allow close social contact in numbers more than a few regardless of what effect those restrictions have on anything else. You cannot re-open before you get the numbers low enough or you will get flare-ups.
Although the pubs are open, we don't have the mass gatherings that we are seeing in USA, if someone gets infected in a pub then it is likely that the contact tracers can trace everyone. The places with the biggest gatherings are likely to be the churches, but they have significant restrictions, such as:
" If singing is an essential part of the service, and a recording can't be played, only one person should sing - preferably behind a plexi-glass screen, or facing away from the congregation ". - restrictions/guidelines from central government.

Also, as we saw in Leicester, it only needs a few 10s of infections to cause a whole city to be locked down, Leicester is apparently reducing in infections and likely to be released in a couple of weeks.

Most parts of the UK probably have enough immunity for spikes not to happen, but not enough to stop a spike once it has got going.

So far, 23% of our covid deaths have been offset by lower flu deaths than average this year, largely due to lockdown, well on the way to an average year for deaths!

Australia is also having trouble in it's second most populous area with the region being locked down and isolated :cry: The numbers I've seen look like they can be much better handled than the huge numbers we have here so hopefully they will get through it easier and more quickly.
Still small numbers, and they have the ability to test and trace their way out of the problem, but they do seem to have acted a bit too slow considering they have almost no immunity so it will spread really quickly. It has been spreading exponentially for 3-4 weeks before they took proper action.

And not meaning to sound heartless or morbid here, but it's to be expected that death rates will fall once most of the high-vulnerability people have already died from Covid-19 and all you have left are those more likely to survive it.
I don't think it works like that, the vulnerable are not more likely to catch it, so they will not die first. You do not need the vulnerability people to die at all, all you need is to reach herd immunity for the population, then the vulnerable are safe. And from what we have seen so far in the USA, you are heading for herd immunity in most of the nation. New York is pretty much there already. That is going to end up with a big death toll though, and as we have seen from other countries, you only need to get part way there for it to become reasonably easy to wipe the virus out, instead the bigger cities in USA are overshooting through letting the spikes grow way too far before the inevitable lockdown, since it is inevitable why not do it sooner, sooner means a shorter lockdown!

Ditto on sooner being better- I've been preaching that all along :geek: But I do think I'm closer inre the highly vulnerable and death rates. Of course the infection rate and chance will play a part too, but the reason we're seeing a lowering of the average age at death is what I said and that transfers to vulnerability because the oldest are the most vulnerable. We've seen numerous nursing homes losing many people, and in-home elderly too :cry: With there being fewer old and vulnerable available to die, fewer will.

But the big story today: Jair Bolsonaro, President of Brazil, who has poo-poohed the virus even more than Trump and done less about it for his people, now has Covid-19 :eek:

Not from Covid-19 but we've lost another outstanding figure from the music world: Ennio Morricone, who did the musical scores for almost all of the Clint Eastwood "spaghetti westerns" and whose diversity in his work reached from Opera to Metallica to Rap died yesterday at age 91. I dare say there's nobody alive who hasn't heard at least some of his intriguiging and innovative music.

Phil

Is it known why Gabacho is now a ‘Deleted member’?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh my, Gonna miss him bigtime :cry: He did quit here once before due to personal reasons and IIRC the same thing happened then. I severely doubt that there has been any issue with him and this site, he's not the kind to do wrong.

Wherever you are my friend Gabacho, I hope all is well and always is. With you in spirit forever (y)

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back