COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NHS is outside the box :) i like cuz thats where i often find myself too.

It's worth them trying things that the manufacturer trials didn't have time or resources to do.

Manufacturer trials also couldn't test mix and match with others.

So far so good.

It's worth them trying things that the manufacturer trials didn't have time or resources to do.

Manufacturer trials also couldn't test mix and match with others.

So far so good.
The AZ trials have actually tried a lot of different strategies, most of them intentionally, there is still a lot of data to come. But even with nearly 20000 people in the last set of data, the number of hospitalisations is still quite low, so it takes time to get safe conclusions and make discoveries. The time for making discoveries may now have passed, you need plenty of infections, hospitalisations, and deaths before you can draw safe conclusions.

Interesting that the 3 month delay in giving the second dose is significantly improving its effectiveness, you can only discover things like that if you test for things you don't expect. Next question is, should we give all the first doses first, then give people the second in the autumn when it has been modified to protect against next winter's variants. It would appear that the first dose is effective enough not to need the second for herd immunity, until a new variant arrives.

The Pfizer and Moderna trials appear to have gone by the book, they are trials designed to get regulatory approval, nothing more.

We Danes over-killed in the same manner / ratios on vaccinations, the surplus ones i do hope will be sold on, but they will probably just be given away at the Danish tax payers expense.

We Danes over-killed in the same manner / ratios on vaccinations, the surplus ones i do hope will be sold on, but they will probably just be given away at the Danish tax payers expense.
I'd be happy if they gave them away even, as long as they don't hoard them while others are left waiting, until we see them though we can't really know if it's true, governments are great at making claims and promises that are near impossible to verify

Yeah leaving then to expire on a shelf would be the ultimate insult.

I think we Danes are now signed up for 20 million vaccinations, but if each Dane need 2 shots thats still 8 million more when we need.

TBH when i read vaccinations i understand it as 2 doses, as thats what it take to be vaccinated with most vaccines in play right now.
But apparently those numbers are shots, but then you Aussies should just need 50 million.

It could also be they they plan to weasel out of their purchase contracts, as by then there will still be a big market wanting to pick up the slack / surplus supply.

Politicians so really anything can happen.

not sure what the thinking is as to why we need 150 million doses with a population of 25 million people, something doesn't sound right

https://au.news.yahoo.com/covid-vaccine-announcement-10-million-pfizer-vaccine-030038449.html?
Made sense when it was expected that most vaccines wouldn't work, but that is no longer the case.

And you appear to be making enough AZ in Australia to vaccinate everyone in OZ and NZ with one dose.

You were going to donate some to your neighbours, but everyone seems to be signed up for COVAX, so that doesn't make sense either.

yeah it doesn't make sense to me, wait and see what happens I guess, at the moment it's just hot air from politicians so anyone's guess

I hope by the time i am eligible for a shot i can choose, TBH i would want the Danish designed vaccine, even if that mean that in the case of me growing a 3 arm on the back i will not be able to sue anyone.
Actually if that happened they would probably take my pension as then i would have a brand new arm, so i could work again.

yeah it doesn't make sense to me, wait and see what happens I guess, at the moment it's just hot air from politicians so anyone's guess

While the quantity makes no sense, FWIW it seems to be a mix of vaccine manufacturers. Psrhaps the Covax involvement has something to do with the quantity?

"The total number includes 20 million Pfizer doses, 53.8 million Oxford/AstraZeneca doses, 51 million Novavax doses, and 25.5 as part of the vaccine distribution alliance Covax, Health Minister Greg Hunt said in a joint press conference."

While the quantity makes no sense, FWIW it seems to be a mix of vaccine manufacturers. Psrhaps the Covax involvement has something to do with the quantity?

"The total number includes 20 million Pfizer doses, 53.8 million Oxford/AstraZeneca doses, 51 million Novavax doses, and 25.5 as part of the vaccine distribution alliance Covax, Health Minister Greg Hunt said in a joint press conference."
yeah it was a couple of different options on the table, maybe there's some clause for late delivery that allows them to decline, seems overkill to have so many booked unless perhaps there's something they're not telling us (entirely possible), does any government in any country ever actually tell the public everything, doesn't seem so

The clowns here ( politicians ) are perplexed they can not get in on the vaccine making or even just bottling, as they have desperately been trying to get things 1 gear up.

IMO if they should do anything it was throw money at the Danish vaccines, to expedite their trails and approval, i am sure someone in EU need a new car or a fancy handmade Swiss watch or a all expenses paid for luxury vacation.

Seems like your people have been listening to the EU anti-Astrazeneca propaganda!

And there still seems to be an insistence that you can't achieve herd immunity with less than 100% coverage of a vaccine with above 75% efficacy, which to me seems to go against the science, I think we know by now that herd immunity to 100% wipe out a coronavirus from the whole world is not going to happen with any vaccine, and protection against infection for coronaviruses is only temporary with all vaccines, so permanent herd immunity is not possible without annual doses.

You could give your 54 million doses of home made Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine to COVAX after making them, but giving your 51 million Novavax away might be a bad move since it is known to protect against the South African variant - you will be hanging on to them!
Questions have been raised about Australia's reliance on the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in the fight against COVID-19, with calls for the Federal Government to secure more doses of higher-efficacy jabs instead.

"I don't think Australia has managed to secure enough vaccines to be comfortable, we really do need to diversify our vaccine portfolio," said Zoe Hyde, an epidemiologist at the University of Western Australia.

Seems like your people have been listening to the EU anti-Astrazeneca propaganda!
like anywhere, there's a lot of misinformation and opinion and not a lot of fact, hard to get straight answers

if we do have multiple options (and if we actually get a choice) it will be hard to know which is the best option to go with

does any government in any country ever actually tell the public everything, doesn't seem so
AMEN! I'm not sure they even know a lot of things themselves. Given the gravity of a pandemic I seriously doubt they would tell people anything which would reduce their confidence in any government's programs. I think that only time will prove things out ;)

Phil

It is possible that any immunity will be so short lived that vaccination will be needed multiple times a year.
People have caught covid more than once.

Extra doses are mandatory as idiots in government employ have already destroyed thousands of doses accidentally and are likely to do so again.

No matter which vaccine proves to be best production capability is enough that all manufacturers will be able to dump the ineffective product and begin to manufacture the best one.

It is possible that any immunity will be so short lived that vaccination will be needed multiple times a year.
People have caught covid more than once.
No, we already have enough data to know that an annual Cold+Flu jab will be enough, and just the first jab is expected to give protection from hospitalisation for life, which might be considered good enough anyway.

Yep, read the official data, not what's circulating in the rumour mill.

not sure what the thinking is as to why we need 150 million doses with a population of 25 million people, something doesn't sound right

https://au.news.yahoo.com/covid-vaccine-announcement-10-million-pfizer-vaccine-030038449.html?
Much better than Canada!

Canada has purchased some 200 million doses for its population of 38 million.
has nonetheless elected to take 1.9 million doses from COVAX.
...Canada is the only G7 country on the list.

The Canadian government is facing backlash for its decision to take 1.9 million doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine from COVAX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back