COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
SARS-CoV-1 was pretty deadly, 50% death rate for the over 60s, MERS was 35% death rate for all ages, HCoV-OC43 has been shown to kill, etc. etc. "These outbreaks establish HCoV-OC43 as a cause of morbidity in aged-care facilities and add to increasing evidence of the significance of coronavirus infections."

They were pretty deadly!

But they were not and never will be like a "common cold". This small handful of viruses are not the typical coronaviruses that cause common colds, and most colds are caused by rhinoviruses.

It's rather funny, Nigel. Trump originally tried to make the case that COVID-19 was simply like the flu and it will "just go away". Here you are doing him one better claiming it will become like a common cold.

The world's leading experts are not willing to yet venture a guess regarding how this disease will affect humans and society in the coming years much less make definitive predictions. For all we know it could indeed manifest as a milder disease after most people develop immunity but we could also see a rise in heart attacks, strokes and other maladies among future victims. Nobody knows yet. Only time will tell. Epidemiologists will need to opportunity to study it in the coming years. Peer reviewed papers will be submitted to the leading journals. Books will be written.

But then, there's you, who repeatedly makes definitive, confident assertions about COVID and (all kinds of other subjects), yet you are merely nothing more than another rank amateur without credentials or portfolio spouting opinions on social media. And the fact that you keep being proven wrong by the actual facts as they present themselves doesn't seem to deter you!

Last edited:
But they were not and never will be like a "common cold". This small handful of viruses are not the typical coronaviruses that cause common colds, and most colds are caused by rhinoviruses.
HCoV-OC43 is definitely a common cold virus, and very unpleasant to those without immunity, and since it is in the same genus as covid-19 we can expect covid-19 to behave very similarly with regard to immunity, so far the evidence supports that:

"Along with HCoV-229E, -NL63 and -HKU1, HCoV-OC43 is responsible for up to 30% of all common colds in adults;

"Although most of the replication of HCoV-OC43 occurs in the epithelial cells of the upper respiratory tract, this virus is unique in its ability to tolerate mutations and even cause infection in the brain.

"In addition to its most notable effects on the upper respiratory tract and possible neuronal infiltration, a 2001 outbreak of HCoV-OC43 in Normandy, France found that this virus can also cause a wide range of digestive problems to occur.

"More specifically, this outbreak found that up to 57% of patients with HCoV-OC43 experienced vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.

"In addition to upper respiratory tract effects, patients with HCoV-OC43 in this French study also experienced several lower respiratory tract symptoms, of which included bronchitis, bronchiolitis, and pneumonia in 17%, 1-%, and 6.7% of all patients.

HCoV-OC43 is definitely a common cold virus, and very unpleasant to those without immunity, and since it is in the same genus as covid-19 we can expect covid-19 to behave very similarly with regard to immunity, so far the evidence supports that:

"Along with HCoV-229E, -NL63 and -HKU1, HCoV-OC43 is responsible for up to 30% of all common colds in adults;

"Although most of the replication of HCoV-OC43 occurs in the epithelial cells of the upper respiratory tract, this virus is unique in its ability to tolerate mutations and even cause infection in the brain.

"In addition to its most notable effects on the upper respiratory tract and possible neuronal infiltration, a 2001 outbreak of HCoV-OC43 in Normandy, France found that this virus can also cause a wide range of digestive problems to occur.

"More specifically, this outbreak found that up to 57% of patients with HCoV-OC43 experienced vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.

"In addition to upper respiratory tract effects, patients with HCoV-OC43 in this French study also experienced several lower respiratory tract symptoms, of which included bronchitis, bronchiolitis, and pneumonia in 17%, 1-%, and 6.7% of all patients.

It is always amusing to witness your debating style. Whenever you get called out on the facts you change the subject.

Back to the original topic from Saturday you've decided to revisit:
it will be no different to the other coronaviruses, some people may get a cold every few years.

COVID-19 is not the common cold, will never be the common cold and whatever may or may not transpire with the disease going forward is not yet known to even the world's most knowledgeable and skilled experts, despite your personal hubris and conceit on the subject.

The number of Americans who have died from the virus are now greater then then number of Americans killed in 3 wars ( WW1 & 2 plus Vietnam i assume )
If it was anything normal i think we would have heard before that that many die of the common fly every year in the US.

Over a half-million deaths from Covid in the US now :( Even if you believe the numbers have been manipulated there can be no denying that it's huge. And there can be no denying that it wasn't handled well either :mad:

When you consider that the number of deaths is small compared to the number of people whose lives have been permanently affected adversely by this the true scale of the problem can be seen :eek: There will be similar events in the future, as history has shown us. Somehow I doubt that we will do any better then :cry:

Phil

Yeah this you take the lead on, but you seem to be good with measly 110 Volts mains VS us Euro boys 230 Volts. :)

Just debated with my friend the apparent lack of EMG services here, i mean not for regular stuff like ambulances and fire departments, but more unusual things that need a little extra.
Every time we have a storm surge or what ever it is always the same guys that respond and if it is really bad spiced with a few of our national guard people.
Put i would have assumed there was a even bigger master plan, like for instance for now where the testing of Danes have to be almost doubled, and more and more also need to get vaccinated, but this is like it just dropped out of the sky, and unemployed people are now given a crash course on how to test people and then they are put to work, BUT ! not as part of a master plan, more a case of sticking your finger in the leaking dike / levee.
I am pretty sure in the cold war days, if the east guys invaded Denmark, it would have been a cakewalk for them, probably did not even need to nuke strategic places here.

Pretty much dont matter what angle i take on things here, it is a utter mess and thats me being polite and using a child proof wording i would not use elsewhere.

It's looking here like the Pfizer and Astrazeneca vaccines seems to be doing the business as the number of over 70's needing hospital has plummeted as have resultant deaths.

My only concern is that they may release lockdown too quickly before most are vaccinated. Had my jab last week so I should be safe, maybe, in 3 weeks.

Over a half-million deaths from Covid in the US now :( Even if you believe the numbers have been manipulated there can be no denying that it's huge. And there can be no denying that it wasn't handled well either :mad:
I don't think it has been manipulated, the excess death count for the USA from the CDC is currently 594204, probably more accurate than the doctor's counting, and that is with almost no flu deaths this year so maybe it should be considered higher.

like for instance for now where the testing of Danes have to be almost doubled,
You are already testing more than twice as much as anybody else, 7x the USA!
What you need is more vaccine, and only give people their first dose until all the first doses are done.

FWIW, as bad as things seem in the U.S. the COVID case fatality rate and deaths per 100,000 continues to be far higher in the UK. Not so bad for Denmark.

caserate.jpg

FWIW, as bad as things seem in the U.S. the COVID case fatality rate and deaths per 100,000 continues to be far higher in the UK.
Clearly wrong, based on the excess deaths the USA has undercounted by 94,000 while the UK has overcounted by 25,000!

Clearly wrong, based on the excess deaths the USA has undercounted by 94,000 while the UK has overcounted by 25,000!

Hah! Of course, as always, you claim to know better than the top experts and institutions in the world, in this case the world renowned, top ranked Johns Hopkins University Medical Center. Their COVID Resources Center where the above data is from is one of the premier sources of information in the world!

These sort of pronouncements from you are like a pathetic joke at this point.

And your ongoing narrative that everything COVID in the UK is really somehow not as bad as the publicly available data shows it to be is absurdly flimsy. This is the same narrative we've heard from you since the very beginning of the pandemic, such as when you claimed the "epidemic is over for us in the UK" last August, except that since that date nearly 85,000 additional UK citizens have died and counting (now 121,305 deaths). And the UK has been fudging its COVID data ever since it arbitrarily decided to exclude anyone who died from COVID more than 28 days after first testing positive even if they were indeed sick with COVID on their medical chart when the died.

those 25,000 people that aren't dead are going to be real pissed when they wake up, of course now the US has a zombie problem with 94,000 walking dead out there

those 25,000 people that aren't dead are going to be real pissed when they wake up, of course now the US has a zombie problem with 94,000 walking dead out there
And in Australia, you had a negative number of excess deaths:

The ABS's December report showed there were 116,345 deaths registered by doctors between January 1 and October 27, 2020, compared with the 2015-19 average of 117,484.

The number of 'excess deaths' in comparison to previous times is in itself misleading. The protections we're taking against Covid are also having a huge effect in preventing spread of the flu, colds, and other nasties which sometimes culminate in death. So to be accurate, the first thing we'd have to do is identify and eliminate those things being counted in previous years and today before we could get an accurate comparison and thus be able to determine what is 'excess'.

GIGO applies here too ;)

Phil

Yes but we are not masters of how many vaccines we get, and if we are going to open up wit the British flu still around we need to detect and stop any chain as soon as possible.
If the big kids ASO get back to school, i think the plan is to test them at least 2 times a week

Our PM and others are lobbying EU for building vaccine factories ASAP to increase production.
Dont know about the Danish vaccines progress, i would assume what we design we can also make our self.

60% of all infected last week was the British flu

I am thinking maybe we Danes should come up with our own flavor and return the favor :) quid pro quo

60% of all infected last week was the British flu

I am thinking maybe we Danes should come up with our own flavor and return the favor :) quid pro quo
You will have to make it vaccine resistant if you want to send it here!

Your infections, and other EU countries have gone up a bit, hopefully due to the recent cold weather rather than variants.

On Friday there will be a "great vaccine day" rehearsal, just to see how many they can cram thru a couple of different setups. in my region 9000 will get the jab on Friday, in all 28.000 on Friday.
From March the plan is to vaccinate 400.000 daily, or at least be able to do that from a logistics perspective.

So i assume we Danes have a lot of vaccine coming our way, not aware much should have been withheld as it is, so bigger batches must be what we get.

Sweden seem to be heading for the 3 wave, in total they have little over 10.000 deaths more than us Danes, in death / million inhabitants they are at 1275 VS our 406
Still think their approach to this was unfortunate, but to really tell probably i should include price for this past year, but those numbers i dont have.
Yes human life have a price, that fluctuate a lot, even in the same country and the same demographic segment you will find some who life are worth much more than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back