Cow Strike At Night......SGGCX2Pro

TourbusGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VicoVation Opia II, Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO.
I've had my SGGCX2Pro in my car for 22 months. Have only checked the footage on the card once to make sure it was working. A few weeks ago, driving home on a dark country road near my house, I came across two cows that decided to take a leisurely stroll down the road. I only spotted the one walking near the edge of the road, but didn't see the one standing in the middle of the road. Needless to say, I struck him at 53MPH as documented on my dash cam. Final score, Cow 1, my beloved Buick Park Avenue 0...........
I always leave the Circular Polarizer on, so the video might have been a little more clearer without it......

Yikes yeah that's a big animial to hit. :(

FYI: If you haven't updated your firmware in 22 months, you're missing out on big IQ (image quanlity) improvements that were introduced well after that. Be sure to update.
There is another pending firmware update in the works that will increase low light night performance even further. (improvements are ongoing testing now)

Ouch! Lost my old Park Ave to a fire, never found one in equal condition at a decent price :( Hope yours is fixable (y)

Phil

YES ! on updating firmware, i have yet to see a bad one of those with any SG camera, but granted some of them have not given any obvious visible improvements but rather little fixes to things i did not use or something like that.
The only downside of updating is you have to do your settings again, but even for a half blind old guy like me thats only a minute or two of his time.

I would kill for a mint 1973 Buick Riviera.
Sprinkle it with a 572 CUI and maybe a little handling and transmission spice,,,,,,, Chip Foose style, and i would be a very happy camper,,,,,,, and mind you gas price in Denmark are 2-3 X of the American price.

Had the 2 damn cows just been the other way around with the "white" one on the road, that would have given Tourbusguy a chance.

The road I live off of right now is heavily wooded on both sides, and is just as heavily populated with deer. When deer might be active I slow waaaaay down to give me a chance. But this poor guy didn't have a chance- look at the vid in slow-mo and you'll see how well that dam# cow blended into the road and night. No way at that speed, and maybe would have still hit it at half that speed :cry:

Phil

Holy crap, man, that scared the crap out of me. I’m sorry to see it!

I always leave the Circular Polarizer on, so the video might have been a little more clearer without it.....
On the other hand, if the camera had seen the cow 100ft earlier, before you saw it with your eyes, your insurance would be asking questions as to why you didn't slow down! Almost looks like you could have slowed down to half speed with the current video, but I know from experience that camouflaged animals are extremely hard to see until it is too late.

Cows are never alone, next time you see one, expect some more! Same with sheep, and normally with horses.

Being the age of my Buick & 81K miles, the insurance company totaled it & gave me $4250 for it. The adjuster said the frame was bent.
I immediately went down to West Palm Beach Fl & found another mint Park Avenue with 66K miles for $5500. Love these older Buicks!!

Being the age of my Buick & 81K miles, the insurance company totaled it & gave me $4250 for it. The adjuster said the frame was bent.
I immediately went down to West Palm Beach Fl & found another mint Park Avenue with 66K miles for $5500. Love these older Buicks!!
I had one of these to drive for 3 months when I was living in China, comfortable car

Don't let the comfort fool you- these cars handle amazingly well for their size and most have very good acceleration too. Put sticky tires on one and you will put a lot of the sportier cars to shame on a twisty road. I passed a VW Golf on the inside of an uphill hairpin turn once, he wasn't going "full race" but he was pushing pretty hard while staying in his lane. His jaw left a dent in his floormat as I went around :ROFLMAO: Shame they ended production of the 3.8 engine, probably one of the best Detroit ever designed. The closest car to these cars I've driven was the Jaguar XJ-6 Mk2 in comfort, performance, and acceleration, but the Jag wins in the contest for styling :cool:

Phil

Don't let the comfort fool you- these cars handle amazingly well for their size and most have very good acceleration too.
yeah it was a nice drive all round, nothing special to look at, a bit unassuming maybe, but I like cars like that, ones that offer more than expected

I would take a Buick Riviera from 1973, give it a few light mods, and a even larger motor. ( > 454 CUI )

Every earth day i would drive it from dawn to dusk only stopping ( often ) for gas. :)

Sort of related, a cow escaped its pen close to the museum of natural history south of my birth town Aarhus, it only got to roam the forest out there for a day or so before it was tracked down and shot.
The ahbundant deer that live in the same forrest they are never shot as far as i know, and it have been damn close we have hit one when we was young ( that forest was one of our favourite get stoned places )

Last edited:
Sort of related, a cow escaped its pen close to the museum of natural history south of my birth town Aarhus, it only got to roam the forest out there for a day or so before it was tracked down and shot.
Last time an escaped animal got shot here, it was a lynx, which was probably unnecessary but sort of understandable, but a cow will never hurt anyone except by accident, more likely to help people, no need to shoot it!

Last time an escaped animal got shot here, it was a lynx, which was probably unnecessary but sort of understandable, but a cow will never hurt anyone except by accident, more likely to help people, no need to shoot it!

I agree. There's just no reason to shoot a stray dairy cow. I happen to live out among dairy farms and it is fairly common for a cow or even several cows to escape from a pasture now and then, if say, a tree limb falls on a fence. I suspect something like that occurred with the escaped cows in the video. The challenge is to get the cow to cooperate enough to accept a halter and be led back to where it belongs. I know, I've helped farmer neighbors to do it! It's not always easy but that's how it's done.

The average dairy cow costs between $1000 and $3000 USD depending upon age and breed and produces about 20,000 lb of milk per year, which is equivalent to 2,320 gallons per cow per year, so nobody would shoot one that escaped for that reason alone!

The challenge is to get the cow to cooperate enough to accept a halter
Never seen that done, we normally ask them nicely, and if that doesn't work then give them a shove in the right direction, maybe with the help of a stick! You have to get them to cooperate anyway, they are a lot stronger than us?

Most of our dairy cows these days find their own way back anyway since they go to visit the milking robots unsupervised. We used to give them a call and they came to the milking parlour, but now it is almost all automatic with them visiting whenever they want.

Yeah i found that move silly too, now a cow can get mighty spooked, but it will eventually settle down.
And unlike in the old days when there was a slaughterhouse in down town Aarhus, and a few cows getting loose now and then running around town, then out in the forest south of town i see no problem.
They could at least have tranquillized the poor animal.

Just another of those things that leave me on the side line shaking my head while i look down as my feet slowly shuffling while i sigh loud.

Other forests here have ben fenced in and cows let out in those,,,,,, okay then the cows nearly died from starvation and neglect,,,,,,,, which was just another thing sending me to my trademark catatonic state on the side line.

Never seen that done, we normally ask them nicely, and if that doesn't work then give them a shove in the right direction, maybe with the help of a stick! You have to get them to cooperate anyway, they are a lot stronger than us?

You've obviously never given a cow a shove or hit one with a stick and seen it take off in the wrong direction. ;) Often a "halter" is simply a rope around the neck which is all the encouragement they need.

Last edited:
Back