niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Cowon AW2.jpg

Cowon System, front and rear top spec Full HD Black Box 'Auto Capsule AW2' launch[2013-11-14]

- World's First Front / Rear Full HD, both cameras 30Fps.
- Full HD IISA technology and intelligent application, clear picture quality even in low-light environments - even when recording two channels
- Front / Rear video playback and transmission via WiFi to Smartphones
- world's first two-channel Super WDR
- built-in Wi-Fi module, (Dual Sync) technology implementation 'AW2' Android smart phones and tablets, iOS smart devices such as the iPhone and iPad via a wireless connection and eject the memory card is installed in the machine without the hassle applications. Forward / backward is possible to check the recorded image. Cowon Auto Capsule only "Smart Manager" when you install apps wirelessly, via Wi-Fi Video playback and recording, downloading files, I / rear camera setup, wireless firmware upgrades, and memory card convenient access to a variety of formatting features can be recorded files 'YouTube' and SNS can be uploaded directly to the other driver and easy to share information, and to view recorded video in real-time 'Live View' function as a useful rear view camera parking may also stop recording book, recording quality, as well as
- automatic shutdown voltage settings,
- G-sensor, acceleration graphs etc. Support various detailed settings, you can set the detailed configuration to suit the convenience is an advantage in that.
- external GPS support,
- voice recording, - voice guide,

'AW2' price: 499,000 won (32G) approx 470usd , 539,000 원 (64G), approx 508 usd

Source:
http://www.navinside.com/bbs/zboard...sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=1092

Seems impressive. Should be all black and the price is steep. But for the first 1080p front and back cam, it could do well.

Taking into consideration all specs and brand name behind it ( I hope their dashcams are as good as MP3 player I had in the past, - very happy ) and if performance and video quality is up to standard, then I think this price is justified.

Somebody has originals of video?

I like the way this is going but would prefer the lens to be in the end of the cam to present minimal aspect to outsiders (and less to block the driver's view).
I also thought the price was a bit steep considering you have to provide your own phone. maybe better if the price included a small tablet (phablet?) with all its resources concentrating solely on the dashcam?

I like the way this is going but would prefer the lens to be in the end of the cam to present minimal aspect to outsiders (and less to block the driver's view).
I also thought the price was a bit steep considering you have to provide your own phone. maybe better if the price included a small tablet (phablet?) with all its resources concentrating solely on the dashcam?

If AW2 can beat Finevu CR-2000S ( the only rival with FullHD + FullHD at the moment ), then I think person who ready to pay 330 usd for Finevu, - he is ready to add 30% more for "much better" Cowon ?. - all depends on how much better is Cowon, or is it better at all ?. Even if Cowon has same video as FineVu, then extra 30% you pay for it smaller size, so you can install it more discretely.
But all conclusions can be made after side by side tests. Before that all suggestions are only speculations ;)

Any news on this camera ? Sample videos ? RAW footage perhaps ? Any current owners ?

I would be interested to exchange my 3 Itronics 100's.

Only few days ago it was presented on one of Korean forums. I will update with more info soon.

Thanks Nico. Night footage looks amazing. Also, I have yet to find any 1080p videos with it. There are some, but uploader managed to put it at 720p.

Some time ago they listed it on main website:

http://blackbox.cowon.com/ ( chose AW2 from right menu ), however info only available in Korean language.
From tech specs I can read out that each camera has its own microsd slot and can use max 32gb microsd for each camera.
They use 6G glass lens with 140 degree diagonal,
Quite big CMOS sensor 1/2.7", so it should be promising.
Rest info is embedded into pictures and hard to understand.

I have "borrowed" and put together some pictures from Korean forums.

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

c6.jpg

c7.jpg
c8.jpg

c9.jpg

Product short overview video and some video recordings

Parking

Rear camera

Rainy day video

Sunny Day

Late evening / night ?

Unboxing video and connections:

Installed in car

Recent night videos front and rear camera:

Live / real time wireless view on tablet or smartphone

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

Niko, you're a Godsend.

After reviewing every video you posted, I realised the video quality (day and night) is lacking, at least compared with my pretty obsolete 5Mbps bitrate Itronics 100HD.

I will have to search a different router, for a 2 way camera for both my cars.

Thanks a lot, again.

Niko, you're a Godsend.

After reviewing every video you posted, I realised the video quality (day and night) is lacking, at least compared with my pretty obsolete 5Mbps bitrate Itronics 100HD.

I will have to search a different router, for a 2 way camera for both my cars.

Thanks a lot, again.

You are welcome, but don't forget that YouTube is not the right place to compare a single videos. I know many cases where crappy dash cam videos posted on youtube looked better than more expencive and more advanced dash cam ones ( if posted separately, not side by side ).
I will see if can find RAW video files, then can have better overview of video quality.
Other than that it looks promising product ( functionality vs specs vs form factor ). Of course most important is video quality and we need to wait for more tests samples , raw video files.

Found this video:

Seems really worrisome, in the video he has 1 minute clips with sizes ranging from 30MB to 55MB max.

That's only 4 to 7.3Mbps bitrate, and in the settings tab it seems to have the best FullHD "HQ" mode already on.

Found this video:

Seems really worrisome, in the video he has 1 minute clips with sizes ranging from 30MB to 55MB max.

That's only 4 to 7.3Mbps bitrate, and in the settings tab it seems to have the best FullHD "HQ" mode already on.

From single youtube videos can not see that it would be 4-7Mbps, - videos look good on YouTube, but of course YT is not the best place to compare videos.
FOr such a high price I don't think they will risk using 4-7Mbps.
In video 0 min 32 sec there is a slider bar ( under video resolution ) from 0 to 10 he moves, - maybe this is also related to the bit-rate or video quality some how ?

It is early to speculate. Need to get raw video files.

HERE can download User Manual in Korean. If I have time ( or anybody else who reads this ), try to convert pdf into text and auto-translate and see if can find something interesting from there ?

Here is my 2-3 min quick work. Converted Korean User manual into txt format, copy-paste into google translator and result is attachment. It is kinda chaotic, but thats the best I got from 2-3 min I had.

Attachments

• COWON AW2 English manual.pdf
    342.4 KB · Views: 21
Back