CPL filter for rear cam on A129 duo needed?

I know that. My question is what are the pros and cons of using it for the rear?

You either need one or you don't, not often needed for the rear but it totally depends on vehicle design

I know that. My question is what are the pros and cons of using it for the rear?
The same pros and cons as for the front. If you have reflections that reduce the visibility, then you need it, otherwise, you don't. The only drawback of using a CPL is a slight reduction in the amount of light that reaches the lens, so if you don't see any reflections in the rear window, better not install a CPL.

If your rear glass is at a similar angle to a typical windscreen then yes it will help, if it is nearly vertical then there is no point in a CPL.
It also depends on what is under the glass, if the parcel shelf is very black matt with nothing on it then a CPL may not be necessary but if you keep a lot of bright white things on it then a CPL will help if the glass angle is near 45 degrees.

Reactions: Mtz
The same pros and cons as for the front. If you have reflections that reduce the visibility, then you need it, otherwise, you don't.
Also depends what you want to record. I don't have bad reflections from my own car, but I like to use a CPL to see better through the windscreen of the car behind me, to record whether they are on their phone etc.

Yes, good point! The CPL can reduce/eliminate the reflections on other cars' windscreens as well....

Thanks, in certain bright sun situations, I definitely need it. Just wondering if it will be a detriment at night? I guess if it performs like the front its all good?

Thanks, in certain bright sun situations, I definitely need it. Just wondering if it will be a detriment at night? I guess if it performs like the front its all good?
At the front, the road in front of you is illuminated by your headlights.
At the rear, your car's tail lights will illuminate things to some extent but the video tends to be much darker than the front. Other cars' bright headlights also tend to force underexposure on the rear camera.

I think the differences in ambient and car-based lighting will have a larger effect on the video than whether or not you have a CPL fitted to the rear camera.

I think you also need to factor in any tint that you have on the rear glass, a filter is going to cause problems if you have a heavily darkened tint

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the standard SUV darker glass. There is glare after reviewing rear cam footage.

I can see a reflection of my rear hatch and the red light with the rear cam. Will the CPL help that?

A picture worths more than a thousand words :)

I would also add that if you already have a front CPL filter, put it on the back cam and make sure you can then move the lens to the position you need without it hitting the glass. This is because of an issue with less clearance on the rear cam due to a thinner mount than on the front cam.

Good point. When I installed it, I made a bit of clearance to account for the possiblity of adding the CPL.

The filter be adjusted after fitting?

The filter be adjusted after fitting?
No, it does not need adjusting.

If you think it is not working correctly, post an image here and we will give our opinion...

Back