CPL Filter for rear camera or front?

ilovepurple159

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Based on the little paper, the picture appears to show the rear camera and the CPL filter that came with it but can I also attach it to the front one? Not sure if it will fit, anyone try it? Lastly, where can I buy CPL filter so I can have it for both?

Attachments

• CPL Filter.jpg
    CPL Filter.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 17
Based on the little paper, the picture appears to show the rear camera and the CPL filter that came with it but can I also attach it to the front one? Not sure if it will fit, anyone try it? Lastly, where can I buy CPL filter so I can have it for both?
Perhaps the picture shown is the same for other Thinkware cameras and not just for the U1000, so they have not bothered to print a page showing the U1000. The filter is definitely for the front camera. I had an installer friend who fitted my system and he did fit it to the front camera.
I would also be interested in getting one for the rear camera set up for the U1000.

The camera in the picutre is F800/F800Pro/Q800Pro and it is intened for the front camera only due to the angle of the windshield relative to the angle of the camera.

You don't need one for the rear camera if the position of your rear camera is very close to the glass (e.g. SUV). Since there is less reflective object(s) in the rear area of the car, you might not need to put a CPL filter in the rear camera as well.

@TKSX So the picture that comes with the U1000 isn't even the same camera? lol. I hope this thread helps someone because I was confused.

I cant recall any dashcam that come with a filter for the rear camera, but personally i do use CPL on some cameras in the rear, not to deal with glare in my rear glass but rather reflections in the windscreen on the car behind me.

In general it is said CPL are not needed for rear cameras, personally i only agree a little with that.

I dont have CPL on my side cameras :)

The camera in the picutre is F800/F800Pro/Q800Pro and it is intened for the front camera only due to the angle of the windshield relative to the angle of the camera.

You don't need one for the rear camera if the position of your rear camera is very close to the glass (e.g. SUV). Since there is less reflective object(s) in the rear area of the car, you might not need to put a CPL filter in the rear camera as well.
I have an SUV (BMW X1), and the slope of the glass at the front is very similar to the rear. I also get reflections at the rear, so I am still on the lookout for a filter. My friend a dashcam installer had promised a few weeks ago to get another one for me.

@TKSX So the picture that comes with the U1000 isn't even the same camera? lol. I hope this thread helps someone because I was confused.
I think it is generic picture to show how to fit the filter to the camera.

There's an ancient thread here on making your own CPL's from back in the day when few cams had them ;) Whether one will do you any good can only be found by trying one. For testing purposes any CPL you can fit will show you what it can do for you but it must be oriented correctly. If you're not getting reflections and you are happy with the images you see then you probably don't need one; just remember that they do tend to darken images slightly so you should play with the exposure settings when testing or using a CPL to get the best from it.

Phil

Perhaps the picture shown is the same for other Thinkware cameras and not just for the U1000, so they have not bothered to print a page showing the U1000. The filter is definitely for the front camera. I had an installer friend who fitted my system and he did fit it to the front camera.
I would also be interested in getting one for the rear camera set up for the U1000.
This is correct. Our CPL Filters are compatible with all of our front and rear cams.

One thing I'd like to add is that a rear CPL can be counter intuitive depending on the rear windows tint. While it does reduce reflections + light flares it can make the rear camera unusable at night if you have dark tint on the rear.

...it can make the rear camera unusable at night if you have dark tint on the rear.
In this thread (from back in May, 2015) on DIY filters there are some examples of how a polarizing filter can affect camera performance under varying conditions - day, night, front, rear, tinted, etc. comparing the effects using 2 different cameras.

Last edited:
Did a drive past houses with a lot of X mas lights a few days ago, looking at rear footage it was very clear how much reflection you can get.
The outer parts of the footage almost exploded with x mas lights reflections.

Ill share some footage with it later on.

Really not much of a problem, it is not for this reason i like to use CPL on the rear camera, it is due to reflections in windscreen on car behind me,,,,, which could obscure phone use.
And if someone rear end me i would like to make sure they get to pay for all their stupid. :)

Back