CPL filter removal

jamesjay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My F770 as become faulty and I now have a choice of a refund or replacement, but I have CPL filter on the unit and was hoping to use a stanley knife to remove it and use on the replacement. So my question is...has anyone been in a similar position and did the filter come off OK and was it reusable?

Any comments would be appreciated.
James.

I have removed my own one a few times as i have changed units and it's re-stuck fine. I did try and swap another one over though and it left some of the glue behind so wouldn't re-stick. I would say it's luck of the draw! Might pay to warm it a little (hairdryer or park towards the sun) before removing it to hopefully loosen the adhesive a bit.

I have removed my own one a few times as i have changed units and it's re-stuck fine. I did try and swap another one over though and it left some of the glue behind so wouldn't re-stick. I would say it's luck of the draw! Might pay to warm it a little (hairdryer or park towards the sun) before removing it to hopefully loosen the adhesive a bit.

Thanks for your reply Steve,

Hopefully if I am careful it will come off in a usable condition or I will be coming to you to buy a replacement.

Kind regards,
James.

Yeah, the CPL filter can be removed and reused if you remove it carefully. In case the adhesive is not sticky enough on the 2nd application, we've lightly dabbed super glue on a tiny portion on the edge and stuck it back onto the dash cam with great effect.

Don't use super glue anywhere near a lens, the vapour that comes off it over time will eventually fog the lens, UV cement is a better choice

Wow - good to know, thanks!

Cyanoacrylate (superglue) is often used in forensics to expose latent fingerprints on non porous surfaces, the vapor that comes off the glue is great for that, not so great anywhere near a lens

I'm not familiar with the brands available in your market but @Dashmellow may be able to offer some suggestions for good UV glue that would be suitable for attaching your CPL's

The Visbella UV cement products have worked very well for me although there are many similar alternatives. Like the Visbella, many ship with a small UV light source for curing the cement. These glues work very well for mounting camera filters because they are safe around optical surfaces, hold securely, have low toxicity, are inert when cured and can be removed easily with little or no damage to the original surface (if non porous).

When camera lenses are constructed the individual glass elements are usually glued together using optically clear UV cement.

See: https://www.optical-cement.com/cements/products.html

https://www.edmundoptics.com/c/adhesives/644/#

You'll find an excellent selection on Banggood. You'll find UV cement on Amazon too including the Visbella but generally at much higher prices. For example, the Visabella UV cement product sold by Banggood is an amazing deal because you get 12 grams of the stuff for 5 dollars USD whereas the same product with 4 grams sells on Amazon US for 12 dollars USD!

http://visbellausa.com/products/uv-light-glue/

visabella.jpg

Just to repeat what @jokiin said, NEVER USE SUPERGLUE ANYWHERE NEAR LENSES OR OPTICAL SURFACES OR YOU RISK PERMANENTLY FOGGING THE GLASS! :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice it will help others in future, I am please to say I have been lucky and my CPL came off without any damage and is now on the new F770 and appears to have stuck down...I will check it for the next few day.

Thanks for the advice.

Kind regards
James.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CaptnEric F770 7
T F770 2
edr-auto.fr F770 90
Back