CPL filter solution for the CDV300

tmanz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi DCT!

I want to share a CPL solution for the CDV300 and similar (B40) models. It uses a 24mm CPL filter readily available on Amazon, and a neodymium ring magnet:

The CPL filter has an internal diameter of 19mm, so the first thing to do is to find a ring magnet with the following dimensions OD 19mm, ID 14mm and thickness of 1mm.

Its important that the magnet is no higher than 2mm to prevent it from showing in the dashcam footage. If you wish, you can paint the magnet black as it comes in silver.

I used 3M double sided tape to attach the magnet to the dashcam. The lens fits snugly around the magnet, which also allows you to rotate it freely.

High res pictures are attached, on imgur.

jMU8XyBm.jpg
YYm7B5Pm.jpg
iiyMAVnm.jpg

Last edited:
@jokiin - Not at all. The CPL is of high quality.

BTW, does anyone know how to get Imgur links to play nice with the DCT Forum?

@jokiin - Not at all. The CPL is of high quality.

BTW, does anyone know how to get Imgur links to play nice with the DCT Forum?

vignetting is related to size not quality, the 300 has quite a narrow field of view, if used on the 118 it would probably suffer some vignetting

good that it works for you though, I might order one to test, thanks for sharing

No worries, the images are to big and annoying if I do that. I was hoping I could embed the album, but it seems this forum doesn't support that.

there are some file size limitations that will prevent you loading anything too big, keep in mind we're dealing with full HD or bigger video so any screenshots etc are generally pretty big anyway, if you use Tapatalk from mobile it will resize images also which can be handy

vignetting is related to size not quality, the 300 has quite a narrow field of view, if used on the 118 it would probably suffer some vignetting

good that it works for you though, I might order one to test, thanks for sharing

This works well for me. I used the same idea on my 118C, using a 37mm CPL.

Last edited:
Back