CPL for F800

raqball

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue 750X Plus
Anyone have a CPL for this camera? If so how well does it work to reduce glare?

The only CPL I found for it is like $40 (plus shipping), which is highway robbery for what it is. Anyone have CPL recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Hi raqball,

I had to wait until getting notification in December, before finally purchasing both the F800 front and the rear CPL filter from Dashcambros, (they offer free shipping for orders over $50.00). So the bill was $74.98, and the filters arrived early. The filter rings fitted both cameras snuggly. With the filter lens ring aligned centered to the camera lens housing.

The only change I made, was to change the camera setting to bright, via the app. This was to account for the F-Stop down (reduction of light), due to the CPL.

Videos created, look the same as the medium setting. The filters have been in use for over three weeks, and I have noted a final reduction in glare (which given my existing treatment was minimal), And just a little extra color saturation (to be expected). Overall I'm very happy with the price and the outcome. As far is price is concerned, like a lot of products, you get what you pay for. I'd personally rather have a glass lens over a plastic lens.

Front: https://dashcambros.com/products/thinkware-f800-f800-pro-front-slip-on-polarizing-filter
Rear: https://dashcambros.com/products/thinkware-f770-f800-f800pro-polarizing-rear-filter

Maverick

Thanks for the response.. It appears as though that is the only option so I'll probably go ahead and order one..

Edit to add: Went ahead and ordered one from them. $43.59 shipped via 1st class mail. Meh, still not happy about the price as that's almost 20% of what I paid for the F800...

I'll report back after it arrives. I am in California and I see they ship from NY so I am guessing it's gonna take a week via 1st class mail.

Last edited:
Reactions: EL1
these are expensive but it's because they're hand made, it's not the retailer making money, the cost price is high

these are expensive but it's because they're hand made, it's not the retailer making money, the cost price is high
$40 won't make or break me so it's no big deal really as long as it serves it's purpose. The goal is to reduce the dash reflection and I'll do like Maverick.AVS did and bump up the camera setting to bright once it arrives.

I guess I foolishly assumed a CPL would be $20-$25.

I guess I foolishly assumed a CPL would be $20-$25.

mass produced they can be, for these the frame is printed in The Netherlands, the glass comes from Germany and they are assembled in France and paid for in Euro, by the time they get to the seller they are quite expensive

Just be glad it dont say "Made in Denmark" or you would be talking a even steeper price. :cautious:

Yeah it is not just out high wages and subsequent high taxes that do it, we cant compete on numbers but quality we should be able to do.

I have painted a lot of stuff for Dynaudio, high tolerances but really not a problem when you know your stuff.

Many a satellite have Danish made star cameras used to align them self in space, and quite a few high end planes have Danish made parts in them from radars / E countermeasures to plane parts them self.

Thanks for the response.. It appears as though that is the only option so I'll probably go ahead and order one..

Edit to add: Went ahead and ordered one from them. $43.59 shipped via 1st class mail. Meh, still not happy about the price as that's almost 20% of what I paid for the F800...

I'll report back after it arrives. I am in California and I see they ship from NY so I am guessing it's gonna take a week via 1st class mail.

raqball -- Any thoughts and pics on the polarizing filters you purchased? I just had the F800 Pro installed in my car this week and the front dashboard glare and reflection is really bad. I'm thinking about getting these filters also, but am a bit concerned about how they perform at night. The vendor's website says you can optionally 'remove them for night driving', but my original desire to pay a premium for this dash cam model was so that I can "set it and forget it"...

My other concern is that my rear window is already tinted (20% light transmission film). However, I still notice a lot of headlight "bloom" at night and sunlight glare in the daytime, mainly in high contrast sunlight vs. shadow portions of the streets and from reflective chrome, etc. If I add the polarized filters, I assume this would cut back on both issues, but decrease light transmission even more for night driving. Would the software setting to increase sensitivity compensate for the window tint + CPL filter adequately? Mine is already set to medium...

Here are some pics from my setup.

PhotosScreenSnapz015_1366.jpg

PhotosScreenSnapz017_1366.jpg

PhotosScreenSnapz016_1366.jpg

Last edited:
Hi El1,

Your first photo of the front camera. The best solution is to source a dash carpet. There a couple of suppliers on line and you can get various finishes. Once put in place you will loose 95% - 98% of the reflection your image shows. Remember darker colors do not reflect light. I bought mine via Amazon, from one of the venders and got a better deal than going direct.

Your second picture looks great, the image is what is expected, based on what I see. You wont loose the sunlight in the image/ video due to placement of the camera. I mounted mine directly on the rear glass so as to lose the carpeted luggage cover. It took a little work to run the cable through the rubber connecting pipe between the rear door and the body of the SUV, but its worth the outcome.

Your third picture is again what you would expect. Not too grainy due the amount of ambient light in the frame. With less light you will get a more grainy image. The blooming of head lights is a non-issue. With a real professional camera you would, whats called "ride the Iris" or also called "shading", to reduce and expand the light that hits the sensors. You dont have a human running the cam = That's life... A fixed lens/ Iris and sensor, is what it is. The one-board software, does try to run a algorithm to adapt the light level, and it works better in the day, in and out of tunnels etc. Than at night.

Based on photo's one, two and three I don't see the need to alter the sensitivity of either camera. You need to think about treating the dash with carpet. And maybe move the rear camera to the glass. I situated/ centered mine so the lens, is in between the horizontal elements and it stays on, even with running the rear heater elements.

I hope the feed back helps you.

Hi Maverick.AVS --

Thanks for the reply. You're definitely right about the camera limitations and sensor processing... This model has the best Sony chips on the market for dash cams, so I was expecting slightly better detail pick up (e.g. license plate numbers at +/-30 to 50 feet) and higher contrast sensitivity.

I'll have to forego the dashboard carpet, though. This is mounted in a Jaguar F-Type, so covering the dash would be sacrilege. :p :cool:

I went ahead and ordered the front CPL filter based on other reviews, so hopefully it'll help cut down on glare reflections. I'll leave the rear cam as-is.

EL1

Hi El1,

Your first photo of the front camera. The best solution is to source a dash carpet. There a couple of suppliers on line and you can get various finishes. Once put in place you will loose 95% - 98% of the reflection your image shows. Remember darker colors do not reflect light. I bought mine via Amazon, from one of the venders and got a better deal than going direct.

Your second picture looks great, the image is what is expected, based on what I see. You wont loose the sunlight in the image/ video due to placement of the camera. I mounted mine directly on the rear glass so as to lose the carpeted luggage cover. It took a little work to run the cable through the rubber connecting pipe between the rear door and the body of the SUV, but its worth the outcome.

Your third picture is again what you would expect. Not too grainy due the amount of ambient light in the frame. With less light you will get a more grainy image. The blooming of head lights is a non-issue. With a real professional camera you would, whats called "ride the Iris" or also called "shading", to reduce and expand the light that hits the sensors. You dont have a human running the cam = That's life... A fixed lens/ Iris and sensor, is what it is. The one-board software, does try to run a algorithm to adapt the light level, and it works better in the day, in and out of tunnels etc. Than at night.

Based on photo's one, two and three I don't see the need to alter the sensitivity of either camera. You need to think about treating the dash with carpet. And maybe move the rear camera to the glass. I situated/ centered mine so the lens, is in between the horizontal elements and it stays on, even with running the rear heater elements.

I hope the feed back helps you.

raqball -- Any thoughts and pics on the polarizing filters you purchased? I just had the F800 Pro installed in my car this week and the front dashboard glare and reflection is really bad. I'm thinking about getting these filters also, but am a bit concerned about how they perform at night. The vendor's website says you can optionally 'remove them for night driving', but my original desire to pay a premium for this dash cam model was so that I can "set it and forget it"...

A repositioning of the camera could reduce the reflections greatly.

Unless you always share the camera videos, I wouldn't be bothered by the reflections so much. After all, you only need to use the footage in an accident or vandalism.

You can test the effects with a polarised sunglass.

Back