Cpl has gone over to the dark side

Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a viofo cpl with the new 119 v3, not particularly enamoured with the cpl. Viewed on VLC Player and video file played from computer. Sharp video but very dark to almost black in places, even driving into the sun. Although there it was cloudy in places.
I expected better than this, I have see better.
Yes cpl is on correct, wide slot at the top, all protective film has been removed and no adjustments have been made. Fitted straight from the box to. Cam.

I imagine night time videos would be even blacker. I tried various resolutions but results were the same.
I can brighten the vid clips in VLC Player but would that be acceptable to cops or insurance companies?

posted 3 screen grabs of different resolutions

2560x1440x60p

2560x1440x60fps.jpg

2560x1440x30p

2560x1440x30fps.jpg

2560x1080x60 camera angle too high on this one.

2560x1080x60fps.jpg

Last edited:

Reactions: gse
Lens aimed way too high. Shoot for about 60% dash/hood/road and 40% sky.

posted 3 screen grabs of different resolutions
Those are quite good!

As CYA suggests, you need to point the lens down, although I recommend putting the horizon in the centre of the image. You should not have more sky than earth.

If you think those are actually too dark to be usable, maybe try a different viewing device, they are not particularly dark on my screen and perfectly acceptable as evidence.

I'll try it out tomorrow morning missed Davies Post about the same prroblem

The V3 auto EV is very sensitive.

When I moved my V3 into my new car I had the same issue. My solution was to park up, make sure the mic was on, then click the lens angle from max high, one click at a time, for about 5 secs each click.

Then when viewed on the PC I could see which angle worked best and counting the clicks made me able to do the same indoors.

When mounted on the windscreen the lens is pointing very slightly downwards from 90 degrees but not by much.

FYI, the only reason for mounting the CPL long slot up is because we had posts here saying that long slot down had caused it to slide off for some whilst in use. It works as a filter whichever way up it is.

Thank Kremmen, never thought about counting the clicks using the mic'.

Once I got my angle correct I put a sticky pad I had in stock so if it got moved I can easily click it back :

yJ9eC2a.jpg

This is where I think you should be aiming for :

8aGUU7n.jpg

Last edited:
I was considering putting a mark of sorts when the correct position is found.
Only thing I've found wrong with this cam is handling it its so easy to inadvertently move the lens by accident.

Cpl filter position changed and quite happy with it, thanks to all who offered advice, it was much appreciated.

Unfortunately there was a horrible vibration being recorded but sounded like it was coming from the cam. took all the junk & loose stuff out of the car, mostly my wife's junk :) but vibration noise still coming through on playback.

I noticed there was a little play between the cam & the gps module. I put a thin strip of blu-tack on the inside edges of the cam but away from the brass contacts which made a tighter fit. Took it out another spin and the vibration noise is cured, gone.

Not exactly a tight fit for cam to gps module. I believe this vibration noise is a common fault with the camera.

Noisy vibration

Last edited:
Not sure Blu-tack is ideal as it will likely hinder taking the unit off for offloading footage.

Look/scroll up to my image of the lens angle stopper ............ if you look closer, to the left, there is a thin piece of EVA foam. It's only 0.68mm thick and used to be supplied in each box.

Why Viofo stopped including it is anyone's guess as it's needed.

I also had to secure the wire coming out of the GPS mount and into the headlining as that was vibrating over cats eyes and the like.

These boys are perfect for securing cables neatly :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332133190309

Last edited:
Do you know if these pre cut pads can be got in the UK?
Been searching with no luck so far.

Do you know if these pre cut pads can be got in the UK?
Been searching with no luck so far.

You don't necessarily need pre-cut EVA foam pads. One or more strategically placed pieces of EVA foam between your camera and the GPS unit should do the trick to eliminate any vibrations.

You can buy EVA foam pads in various sizes and thicknesses on Amazon. 1mm thickness should work fine. The stuff tends to flatten with use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07T3JYKJ5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=EVA+foam+pads+thin+

Thanks dm, got it I'm my amazon basket now with a couple of other things.

This is where I think you should be aiming for :
You need two freeze frames at the same time from two devices on different firmware, then you can judge something.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W A119 V3 5
Back