CPL needed for rear camera?

TexasBuyer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO, Blueskysea B1W
First of all. . .the StreetGuardian SG9663DC is a great dashcam! I am particularly impressed with your world class customer service. Very responsive and prompt expertise. I have a hatchback SUV, so the rear camera is just 1-2 cm from the rear window and defrost lines. In most cases, do I need a CPL filter for the rear camera? I know the kit only came with 1 CPL filter which I installed on the front camera. What is everyone's option based on your experience with rear cameras? Happy New Year!

I prefer CPL on the rear camera too, cuz it take much of the reflecting sky in the windscreen on the car behind you, and this better look at what go on inside the cabin of that car can be useful.

As yooshaw also just posted a zoom rear camera can also be nice to have, though with their narrow FOV you can also miss the target.

I have a small 5 door hatchback with a pretty much vertical rear glass, and i have light from oncoming cars reflecting in my rear camera ( also with the lens within mm of the glass to not have any heater lines in the footage )

As yooshaw also just posted a zoom rear camera can also be nice to have, though with their narrow FOV you can also miss the target.
That’s a really cool addition to a camera system.

That’s a really cool addition to a camera system.

A number of us have been experiementing with varifocal and telephoto lenses on the Mobius platform (and a few other cams) for several years now (including @Yooshaw, apparently). I wouldn't be without at least an auxiliary front facing telephoto cam at this point. A few of us concluded that 8mm - 12mm focal lengths are optimal (somewhat wider FOV than what Yooshaw appears to be using) but each of us has our own focal length preferences. I consider a CPL on a telephoto as mandatory after experimenting with one.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-5mp-varifocal-zoom-6-22mm-ƒ-1-6.34263/

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mobius-telephoto-dashcam.31523/page-2

Last edited:
more often than not a CPL is not needed on the rear, it very much comes down to the type of vehicle though, some vehicles do benefit from a CPL on the rear if they suffer excessive reflections

more often than not a CPL is not needed on the rear, it very much comes down to the type of vehicle though, some vehicles do benefit from a CPL on the rear if they suffer excessive reflections

Vertical flat glass in the rear of a pickup truck cab can be problematic. Depends a bit on the particular camera and mounting scheme.

Back