CPL working or not?

saiko21

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, Can anyone here confirm if my CPL filter is working from the video footage or do I need to align the filter?
I am new to the polarising filter for dash cams

Footage evening

your video isn't ready yet but going by the file name of footage evening I'm not sure it's the best example to judge by, CPL is mostly about reducing reflections during bright sunny days

your video isn't ready yet but going by the file name of footage evening I'm not sure it's the best example to judge by, CPL is mostly about reducing reflections during bright sunny days
It's actually during sunset time. so the sunlight is hitting you in the eyes blinding you. The footage can be downloaded as it's raw footage. I didn't do any processing or editing at all

Don't know if it is working, but it is not removing reflections.

What sort of vehicle is it?

take the filter off to see how much reflection it gets and you'll know if it's working, it probably is, they don't remove all reflection but reduce it noticeably

Don't know if it is working, but it is not removing reflections.

What sort of vehicle is it?
It's Civic Si. May be do I need to adjust the lens a little upwards as the hood/bonnet is also causing reflections ?

take the filter off to see how much reflection it gets and you'll know if it's working, it probably is, they don't remove all reflection but reduce it noticeably
Yes I understand. I looked at BCHobbyist video to align the cpl but when I check my CPL was turning little black but not entirely black when rotating the whole frame 45deg. I guess that the lens is already pre-adjusted before they shipped it. @OCD Tronic should know if it's already pre adjusted as I bought from them on Amazon.

It's Civic Si. May be do I need to adjust the lens a little upwards as the hood/bonnet is also causing reflections ?
It will not remove the reflections in the paintwork of the bonnet, only the reflections off the windshield glass and some from the road surface.
Tilting the lens will make no difference to the reflections.

Looks to me like the filter glass needs rotating to the correct angle.

my CPL was turning little black but not entirely black when rotating the whole frame 45deg.
If you have some polarised sunglasses, put them on and then look through the filter with it held at the normal angle, it should be clear and turn black as you rotate it either way towards 90 degrees for full black.

Edit: Sorry, that needs to be the other way around, put the CPL on and look through the glasses! Only works with them in the right order.

Last edited:
Will the lens turn completely black at 45 deg like BC hobbyist video

Will the lens turn completely black at 45 deg like BC hobbyist video
Should turn black at 90 degrees with sunglasses, and most TVs. 45 degrees with most phones and tablets.

I used a phone screen and laptop screen but at 45 deg it's not completely black it's partially black then turn white when I keep on rotating the cpl frame

I suppose all you can do is test without and with and see what the difference is

I guess its misaligned from OCD tronic. The marking on the lens when kept at the corner of the Housing it goes black/green on my phone amoled display

Back