CPL working or not?

finally with tv screen, I checked its dark at 90 degrees. Now my question is which direction I need to mount on the lens. any direction is fine or do I need to mount on the camera in a specific direction.

finally with tv screen, I checked its dark at 90 degrees. Now my question is which direction I need to mount on the lens. any direction is fine or do I need to mount on the camera in a specific direction.

Keeping the slot on top will help keep gravity from working the lens out compared to if slot was left at the bottom. Either direction has the same exact CPL result though.

36381deb13447ae004cbf4ba2d524a8f.jpg

I will check tomorrow. I hope the CPL negates some reflections.

finally with tv screen, I checked its dark at 90 degrees.
Excellent :)

Did you need to adjust it before it worked, or was it correct as supplied?

Excellent :)

Did you need to adjust it before it worked, or was it correct as supplied?
The supplied one is little close to correct. I have to see today how it performs in the sunlight

Today's footage. I hope the CPL is doing its job.

Raw video
doesn't have much reflection from the dashboard so it looks like it's doing its job, easy way to find out is to take it off for a bit while you're recording and look at the difference

camera is aimed a little higher than what is probably ideal

doesn't have much reflection from the dashboard so it looks like it's doing its job, easy way to find out is to take it off for a bit while you're recording and look at the difference

camera is aimed a little higher than what is probably ideal
I thought the same thing about camera but I feel the bonnet or hood will come in the video if aimed a little lower :p

One thing I really liked about my VicoVation MF3 Dash Cam was the high Quality CPL ... which was around AU$40 ... only AU$15 more than the cheapie VIOFO ones
It was 30mmm and screwed on with another 'wheel' that you turned to adjust it.

I made the error of getting a VIOFO CPL off eBay which was cheap ... and not happy with it. It had a small dot of Gum /BluTac in the centre under the plastic dust cover over the lens.
I wondered whether it was a reject or factory 2nd that this online person was selling.
Wish VIOFO would give us an option to purchase a good quality CPL rather than the current cheapies that clip on. I'd pay double to get a good screw on CPL like the VicoVation team had.

I'll probably just get another when buying my next VIOFO A119 V3 down the track. The CPL on the A119S on my rear window is ok ... just ok.

Last edited:
the problem with the type of CPL you had on your Vico is they need to be adjusted and can easily move, an enthusiast might take the time to make sure it's always adjusted correctly, for the average user though it's a problem

that type of CPL also wouldn't work for a camera where the lens is as close to the window as it is on the Viofo

Seems to be working for everybody else's windows, we can see into all the other cars.
Not convinced it is working properly for your car though, like jokiin says, a before and after comparison would help.

I have a Genuine Viofo filter and tried it on my phone when you look through it and tilt it but it goes that bit darker but not a lot, dont go black at all and that direct from Viofo.

the problem with the type of CPL you had on your Vico is they need to be adjusted and can easily move, an enthusiast might take the time to make sure it's always adjusted correctly, for the average user though it's a problem

that type of CPL also wouldn't work for a camera where the lens is as close to the window as it is on the Viofo
I have a Genuine Viofo filter and tried it on my phone when you look through it and tilt it but it goes that bit darker but not a lot, dont go black at all and that direct from Viofo.
In the stock version, as it were, the red dot (correct mark) on the glass is set for 12 hours:

17544384.jpg

And here it is, I decided to check and twist the polarizer in front of the lens, as a result, I moved the mark by 10 hours.
We look what happened!

the red dot is not an indicator of the lens position being set, you'll find that in various positions

Reactions: gse
Does it only go dark looking through it on some things as mine don't go dark when i twist it but when up in a position to put it on its very slightly tinted.
This is a Genuine one i had in 2017 direct from Viofo for my old A119 V1 and use it now on my V3,is there something here im missing.

Does it only go dark looking through it on some things as mine don't go dark when i twist it but when up in a position to put it on its very slightly tinted.
This is a Genuine one i had in 2017 direct from Viofo for my old A119 V1 and use it now on my V3,is there something here im missing.

Need a TV or monitor behind that is polarized correctly. (Not 45 degrees)

Some newer phones are not polarized, phones with OLED screens may not be. Test it against a TV (and not a 3D one).

You can also hold it in front of your eye and look through the car windscreen to test it, it should remove reflections when rotated to the correct angle, but much easier to see with a TV.

Back