CR 500 - Firmeware update

Nissanboard

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Today I got my CR 500 HD, currently there is Firmeware 1.00.112 installed and 1.00.115 is the newest.
So I want to update the firmeware with this instructions:
http://dashcamtalk.com/finevu-cr-500hd/

Firmware Update Instructions

1 Download the latest firmware.
2 Remove the Micro SD card from the dash cam and place it in the micro SD adapter. Insert into a memory card reader on a PC.
3 It is recommended that you back up all important files on the Micro SD card.
4 Format the memory card prior to the firmware upgrade
5 Unzip the downloaded firmware and copy it to the root directory of the memory card.
6 When you insert the micro SD card into the black box and turn the power on, 4 LEDs will flash and the upgrade will start.
7 The upgrade takes approximately 3 minutes. When the upgrade is complete, the firmware file will automatically be deleted.

Is it also possible to format the card and to upload the Firmeware while USB is connected ?
Because I dont have a card reader on my notebook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nissanboard said:
Today I got my CR 500 HD, currently there is Firmeware 1.00.112 installed and 1.00.115 is the newest.
So I want to update the firmeware with this instructions:
http://dashcamtalk.com/finevu-cr-500hd/

2 Remove the Micro SD card from the dash cam and place it in the micro SD adapter. Insert into a memory card reader on a PC.
5 Unzip the downloaded firmware and copy it to the root directory of the memory card.
6 When you insert the micro SD card into the black box and turn the power on, 4 LEDs will flash and the upgrade will start.
7 The upgrade takes approximately 3 minutes. When the upgrade is complete, the firmware file will automatically be deleted.

Is it also possible to format the card and to upload the Firmeware while USB is connected ?
Because I dont have a card reader on my notebook.

hey buddy

What I always do before a firmware upgrade is this:

1. Remove the sdcard from the camera
  2. format the sdcard first via sdformatter here
  3. Once format is complete, copy the firmware files to the root of the sdcard
  4. Insert sdcard into the camera once the above copy process is complete
  5. Turn camera on and allow it to flash

I have never tried to flash the camera with a firmware upgrade whilst it is connected to the camera via USB. I can't see why this would be a problem though, but best to ask the pro's.

Can't see why it would be a problem.

Plug blackbox in and wait for usb mode, format sd card whilst in usb mode and just place the firmware onto sd card when done, then try as normal.

OK it works via USB but now my Finevu is korean :(

Nissanboard said:
OK it works via USB but now my Finevu is korean :(

Yep refer to my diagram to make it easier to know what each option is:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=808

I never needed to hear the audio sound, so i turned it off.

ohhh there is an option to turn it off, thx :)

After I updated my firmware, my cam is no longer auto detected by Windows (usb mode). Did I do something wrong or is that just how it is?

Edit - I needed to restart it after changing setting. Its detecting properly now.

nowherekid said:
After I updated my firmware, my cam is no longer auto detected by Windows (usb mode). Did I do something wrong or is that just how it is?

Edit - I needed to restart it after changing setting. Its detecting properly now.

The best way to do it mate is this:

1. Copy the files to the sdcard
  2. Turn the camera off
  3. Turn the camera back on
  4. Connect the USB cable
  5. All lights should start blinking

It can take a good 20seconds before USB mode is activated.

pegasusjan said:
What is the difference between software : 1.00.112 and 1.00.115 ???

CR500HD

• Fixed the 1 second delay going from parking to normal recording mode
  • Motion sensor activated videos are now recorded up to 2 minutes from a previous 40 second maximum.
  • Mph updated

Re: CR 500 - Firmeware update - Cam stopped working

:?: :?: Seems my black box died..I would really appreciate if anybody can help me to reanimate it. I just tried to update the software to V1.00.005.

So what cause the problem (what i've done prior to it death :( )-
1. took off the sd card from cam.
2. Formatted it
3. Unzipped downloaded file and copied all those 6 files onto sd card.
4. Inserted sd-card with those files into dash cam.
5. Plugged black box to USB cabel.
Cam turned on automatically because USB was hooked to desktop - all 5 lamps flashed out as regularly. Then all of them turned green and started blinking. It took about 30 sec and all lights turned back again to regular color mode. I waited for another may be half of minute, unplugged it from USB. Then reset it. I thought everything was completed.

After i turned it on again- all lamps are on, however cam does not record. I took off sd card and plugged it to PC. What i notice that there were none of copied files. I copied them again. DId the same steps from 1-5. Tried not to hook up with USB cabel. It still does not work. Attempts to format SD card to NTFS didn't help. So i formatted it back to FAT32. Copied those file again. Placed SD card to the black box. Turned the black box on. It does not seem that it reads this files and updates the software. ALso want to mention - every time i take off sd card from black box and connect it to Desktop - i still see copied files without changes...
:( Please help me! not sure how this could happen with me. No i blame myself why i even touched it if it worked very well prior intervention.

:shock:
I flashed my camera exactly one time and cant remember how long it lasts.
But it wasnt very long, as far as I remember less than 1 minute from switching the camera on until the end.

This matches step 4 - 5 of your description.
After flashing the firmware files are deleted on the sd-card, the sd-card content is now as usual (directories event, normal, camcorder...)

I am wondering about your firmware version 1.00.005, is that a typo? Last I found here was 1.00.115 and 1.00.116 is also still available by request.

If the flash procedure was interrupted - for what reasons ever - I guess you need to send the camera back to Finevu for reactivating it.

Regards

FCS830, thanks for reply...
I messed things up. That wasn't a typo. My mistake that i tried to downgrade the software. I downloaded incorrect software version which is lower that was already in the unit.

After i took of sd card from black box in the very first time after trying to upgrade the software, after i plugged it to PC - i noticed there were none of those copied files..I didn't know whats up. So inserted second time again..and..(

Tried to drain the internal battery by hoping it will start working normally back again - however that didn't happend. I have also tried to connect to the power cord and hold M button for 7 second hoping this will reboot the unit - but it didn't.

Also tried to use different SD card and repeat correct actions for newly (correct ) version of software - does not work this way either...

Pls help if anybody knows how to solve it.. :!: :!: :!: :( :(

Till now - every time i turn the unit on - all lights are on simultaneously and stay on till the battery dies or i push the reset.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hometechnc CR-500HD 5
Milamber CR-500HD 5
Back