Crackle and white noise from U1000 when starting car after BAB-50 battery has died

TeddyRuxpin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a U1000 hardwired to the Thinkware battery pack. f I don't drive my car for a while and the BAB-50 battery has run out of power and the U1000 is off, when I start my ignition I get a pop/crackle and a short burst of white noise (0.5-1 second) from my U1000 when I next start up the car.

It will then boot up and operate normally.

Is this normal?

I currently have all audio alerts turned off

Thanks,

Ed

To be honest i had the same set up until recently and so did my boss. We both had the same issue sometimes, it never caused any major issue but i agree it was a little annoying. No other models seem to do that. Sorry i can't offer any solution.

Steve

Thank you for replying - it doesn't bother me too much, I just wanted to know if others have the same issue!

It's not a 'healthy'/confidence inspiring sound...

Thanks again

Last edited:
isnt there a fan in these cams? the fan is likely failing. I have seen computer fans when the motor fails have a high pitched sound or white noise type sound

isnt there a fan in these cams? the fan is likely failing. I have seen computer fans when the motor fails have a high pitched sound or white noise type sound
They normally don't but may be a problem with the camera components themselves in your instance. Have you reached out to your retailer for warranty purposes or Thinkware?

there's no fan in the camera
Youre right lol. I doubled checked the teardown photos on this site and i mistook the speaker for a fan. I guess the crackling sounds are electronic noises? It could be the speaker failing.

I have the same U1000 making screeching/crackling/weird noises for about 6/8 weeks. Last week dashcam completely not working. When I receved it brand new the first one was dead on arrival. They replaced it with a new one. I have read several reviews of this happening.
Less than 2 years old about 22 months old and junk at this point. Sent to Thinkware and $172.00 later they will repair/replace it.

I'm thinking Thinkware has a quality issue.

Some computer parts can have what is called a coil whine, maybe it is the same here ?

I am guessing the super capacitor is near its end of life. Has anyone tried replacing them with a new one and see if it fixes the issue?

TKSX I should of tried that first before spending the $180 for repair.

Is there a tear down of this dash cam somewhere?

TKSX that helps. I do see the capacitors in the pictures. Looks like an easy swap.
I already recieved mine back and it's working.
Thanks

Couldn't figure out capacitor specs from internal photos. Any inputs please? Mine is also dead similarly. Can't send it all the way from India to US just for repairs. Thanks!

My 172$ dashcam replacement from Thinkware has failed. It's only been a few months. I sent an email to Thinkware regarding dashcam failure.

Hi,

I have a U1000 hardwired to the Thinkware battery pack. f I don't drive my car for a while and the BAB-50 battery has run out of power and the U1000 is off, when I start my ignition I get a pop/crackle and a short burst of white noise (0.5-1 second) from my U1000 when I next start up the car.

It will then boot up and operate normally.

Is this normal?

I currently have all audio alerts turned off

Thanks,

Ed
Hello Ed, please reach out to us via email or phone call at support@thinkware.com or 1 (844) 865-9273 so we can assist you further. Thank you!

Thinkware has a Quality Issue.

1st Brand New- Defective out of the box. Returned for replacement.

2nd Replacement Brand New in a box lasted less than 2 years.

3rd I paid 172$ for repair and it lasted only 3 months.

Is this common for Thinkware?

I contacted customer support and I was told they escalated it to the repair team 5 days ago and nothing.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G U1000 5
Back