Crappy G1W, Real Time Clock very slow

upsss

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a crappy G1W clone and its Real Time Clock runs very slow, it loses about 2 hours every 24 hours. My internal battery held charge for only 60 seconds so I replaced it. Now the camera runs for about 5 minutes on battery power but my RTC still runs the same, very s l o w. Any ideas short of trying to replace the RTC crystal?

I have a crappy G1W clone and its Real Time Clock runs very slow, it loses about 2 hours every 24 hours. My internal battery held charge for only 60 seconds so I replaced it. Now the camera runs for about 5 minutes on battery power but my RTC still runs the same, very s l o w. Any ideas short of trying to replace the RTC crystal?
If it were me I'd either live with it or replace the camera. The time/cost/effort to 'fix' it would be wasted.

when the clocks are that inaccurate it's probably better to turn off the clock in the OSD in case you need video as evidence and the incorrect time causes you problems

I don't understand what you are saying. Isn't the OSD time (On Screen Display, I assume that is what you are referring to) the same time derived from the RTC as on the saved video?

I don't understand what you are saying. Isn't the OSD time (On Screen Display, I assume that is what you are referring to) the same time derived from the RTC as on the saved video?

yes it is, if it's off by a lot it's probably not a good idea to have it shown on the video, better that anyone that needs to see the video is not be put off by incorrect information

What @jokiin was referring to was the date/time embedded in the saved video. Having incorrect information in the video is likely to cause you more grief than not having it at all should you have to use it.

To answer your question, yes - the OSD date/time and the embedded date/time are one in the same.

Edit: Rick (@jokiin) is also a lot faster on the keyboard at 7:15am than I am. :D

I am just wondering if the clock accuracy is a common problem on these crappy clones. I am an EE so for me replacing the crystal is not a big deal. Typically these RTC oscillators beside the 32.768 KHz crystal have 2 small external capacitor ~22pf. If it is a common problem it is either the crystal or maybe they tried to save these 2 capacitor which could be one reason the clock runs slow.

Not sure what they're using, they don't normally have such poor accuracy as this one, maybe it's just faulty

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V G1WX 14
Sprag G1WX 13
winter4w G1WX 3
toonami G1WX 13
C G1WX 4
Back