Crash Helmet Camera (Internal)

tony2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius
I wanted a Helmet Cam but I don't like mounting anything on the outside of my crash helmet, looks ****e and can cause wind noise, whistles, which I hate with a passion. So, what about something mounted inside. Discrete, waterproof, and out of the way.
After watching Techmoan's review of the Mobius Camera I purchased one along with the lens extension cable, maybe this is what I am looking for.
I mounted the lens into the breath guard of my Shoei GT Air, then Velcro mounted the Camera itself to the inside of the chin bar. For me it's fine, no clearance problems but if you have a chin like Bruce Forsyth it may not work for you.
Powering the camera was the next issue. Inbuilt battery lasts about 80 minutes so not enough, considered power from the bike but, I don't want to plug / unplug cables every time I get on / off the bike. I just know I would forget and rip the wires out.
Solution, a USB Battery Pack placed in my jacket pocket giving me hours of constant recording time. I went for a 9000mAH capacity which gives me more than 8 hours of constant loop recording, is light in weight and nice and compact.
Well, that's my solution at the moment until something better comes along.
I hope this will be useful to others on the forum who, like me, don't want a brick stuck to your helmet (ooohhhh missus).CIMG0029.JPGCIMG0036.JPG CIMG0037.JPG

Nice!

I have Anker Astro E4 13000mAh battery pack.

Have you thought of disasembling battery pack and putting it back together into half-moon shape shell, then integrating it in into the inner of helmet behing "softener / sponge" ? Battery pack is about 1cm thick and in theory should fit. Not sure how in practice. Its all depends on helmet.

Thanks for your comments Niko,
I did briefly consider some way of integrating the battery into the crash helmet but,
decided against it on the grounds that it may compromise the level of protection designed in by the manufacture.
Ok, you could argue that the camera unit may cause injury to my chin in an impact but, I can live with that risk.
Cheers......Tony.

Thanks for your comments Niko,
I did briefly consider some way of integrating the battery into the crash helmet but,
decided against it on the grounds that it may compromise the level of protection designed in by the manufacture.
Ok, you could argue that the camera unit may cause injury to my chin in an impact but, I can live with that risk.
Cheers......Tony.

I agree with you, better not to risk with life !

That looks like a good job done !
Cant wait to see some footage Tony :)

:eek:

I've decided to mount my camera in my steering wheel airbag, and have taken the power from the pre-tensioner ignitors with the wire cable-tied to holes cut in my seatbelt. Although the camera adds weight, I've compensated by removing the side-impact bars from the front doors. :confused:

Why go to all that bother and work ?
Mount the camera in a crash helmet and wear it in the car.......I do !!!

Martin. I don't have any video at present as I reformatted the card so, will post some up next time I get out on the bike.

That will be cool Tony, Im monitoring this thread so if you add a post here I will know you have uploaded a vid..:)
ps...bet you look like the `STIG` when you go shopping in the car ...LOL

Hi Martin,
Some video for you to look at.
I have included bright Sunlight and dull overcast footage. I don't know what You Tube does to the video but, the original is clearer,
still, it will give you some idea.
I just hope it works !!!
Cheers.

and just for a bit of fun......

Great stuff Tony ..It works very well.;)
I like the edited vid as well ..:)
I think YouTube compresses the uploaded file, so im sure it would be clearer in the originel copy as you say.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Hi Tony, That's a good alternative to a "brick" on the helmet... just don't go swallowing the lens!

YouTube usually does degrade the quality. Also, never let YouTube "fix" a shaky video... it looks terrible.

I have a Sony AS15 on the side of my helmet. I haven't noticed any extra wind noise but I would prefer a more discrete fitting... get fed up with "Is that a camera, mister... what's it for?" queries.

On a bike, I've found the wider angle of view is easier to watch. My Sony has built-in stabilisation which is exceptionally good, but it's just a crop of the wide angle view to enable the camera's software stabilisation to do it's stuff, and therefore not quite as sharp. Now I use the non-stabilised wide angle most of the time.

You might find the Mobius wide angle lens gives a smoother video to watch, plus more to look at (including the speedo!!). It's just the nature of a wider angled lens compared to a more "close-up" lens.

My helmet is a flip front so I can't do what you've done. I've got a Mobius for car dashcam use and I've tried to figure a way of using the lens with a cable inside the helmet. Even the 8" lens cable wouldn't be long enough because the lens would have to be above my nose/eyes and I'd have to mount the camera body outside the helmet with a power pack.

Before I got my Sony, I did manage to mount an 808 #16 keyfob camera with a wide angle lens inside the helmet - just above my nose/eyes. It only just fitted in my helmet, but not on other helmets!

That was quite good because it was protected from the rain and the inbuilt microphone worked well, but it was lacking in video quality (720p). Amazingly, it didn't interfere with my vision. One drawback I found was really bad reflections off the inside of the visor if a lens/camera is mounted to one side - a central location is fine though.

My YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/FlyingPanMan - has videos that were taken with both the keyfob camera and the Sony AS15. It's pretty easy to tell which is which. I used Cyberlink PowerDirector for editing and that has an option to stabilise shaky video that's almost as good as the Sony in-camera software, but I rarely use it.

With all the "occurrences" a biker comes across (plenty on my YouTube channel), I'd hate to ride without a camera now!

I wanted a Helmet Cam but I don't like mounting anything on the outside of my crash helmet, looks ****e and can cause wind noise, whistles, which I hate with a passion. So, what about something mounted inside. Discrete, waterproof, and out of the way.
After watching Techmoan's review of the Mobius Camera I purchased one along with the lens extension cable, maybe this is what I am looking for.
I mounted the lens into the breath guard of my Shoei GT Air, then Velcro mounted the Camera itself to the inside of the chin bar. For me it's fine, no clearance problems but if you have a chin like Bruce Forsyth it may not work for you.
Powering the camera was the next issue. Inbuilt battery lasts about 80 minutes so not enough, considered power from the bike but, I don't want to plug / unplug cables every time I get on / off the bike. I just know I would forget and rip the wires out.
Solution, a USB Battery Pack placed in my jacket pocket giving me hours of constant recording time. I went for a 9000mAH capacity which gives me more than 8 hours of constant loop recording, is light in weight and nice and compact.
Well, that's my solution at the moment until something better comes along.
I hope this will be useful to others on the forum who, like me helmet with built in camera, don't want a brick stuck to your helmet (ooohhhh missus).View attachment 4579View attachment 4580 View attachment 4581
That sounds like a great setup you have for your helmet cam! Mounting the camera inside the helmet and using a lens extension cable is a clever way to keep it discrete and minimize wind noise. The Shoei GT Air's breath guard seems to provide a suitable location for the lens. Using a USB battery pack in your jacket pocket to power the camera is a smart solution as well. It gives you extended recording time without the hassle of plugging and unplugging cables directly from the bike. Having a 9000mAh capacity should provide you with more than enough power for over 8 hours of continuous loop recording. Thank you for sharing your setup and experience with others on the forum. It's always helpful to have alternative options for helmet-mounted cameras that don't interfere with the helmet's aerodynamics or create excessive wind noise. Hopefully, your solution will inspire and benefit others who have similar preferences.

out of many and many Mobius models, lenses etc, sorry to be off-topic, but any of them have stabilisation?
Thanks!

Back