Crashing / Freezing issues mk2

Andrew Clough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, been away for a while so thought I would start a new thread.

It appears that my crashing / freezing issues are related to the Stop / Start function on my car - as the engine restarts as you take the foot off the brake you can see the power icon briefly change on the display before it crashes. It does not crash every time so i'm guessing it's down to the useless internal battery that lasts seconds, unless it crashes when the white screen lasts for ages, rather than power off.

To recap - Car - 67 Plate BMW 330D, powered by the stock USB cable connected to the Cigar Lighter connector under the glove box - the one that not many people know about ;)

@NextBase Support - Does this information help you? Has anyone else reported this scenario and is this possible to fix with a future firmware update? Or should I pay to get Halfords to hardwire this one like my old 512g - If so, is this a device issue and if so who should pay for it?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

It needs rewiring to a different circuit.

Most cars have circuits that are deliberately wired to lose power when cranking the starter. You need to find one that doesn't lose power.

Fortunately my car doesn't have this tree huggers stop start malarky.

Very Interesting !!!

This is the same conclusion that I have come to with my 66 plate Ford Edge Sport (Stop/Start) and it is driving me nuts as my Garmin Driveluxe 51 LMT-D SatNav is plugged into the same cigarette lighter socket (via a double adaptor) and has no issues. Incidentally my previous NB 512G did not have this problem.

I think Garmins run directly from the internal battery and the car connection is only there to keep it charged.

Sort of a UPS clone.

Therefore a temporary disconnect is unnoticed by the device.

Dashcams are different because of parking mode.

This may be true about the Garmin Kremmen, but the NB 512G works fine.

From reading other related posts I'm convinced the problems some suffer is the donor connection used.

When you start a car some circuits lose power whilst others retain power. It varies from car to car. I've seen cars where turning the ignition key to beyond position II, to start, temporarily kills the headlights to give the starter motor max power, if they were put on first.

If you've piggybacked to one of these circuits then it's possible that this can confuse a dashcam forcing it to shut down.

The 612GW is plugged into 1 of the 3 (factory fitted) cigarette lighter/accessory sockets via a double adaptor and is powered on from unlocking the door, whilst the car is running and for about 20-30 minutes after the car is stopped and locked. The dashcam is not confused as such but locks up when the car stops/starts and it is impossible to sort until the car physically stops when it can be "fiddled with". If I were a betting man I would say that there is a power surge when the car restarts and the 612GW does not like it. As I said in an earlier post this does not happen with the 512G

Thanks for all of the feedback fellow users, it's a shame that @NextBase Support could not be bothered to comment.

My 612GW is now out of warranty as I have now had the car for just over a year and this was a 'treat' for the new car (I guess even though it was replaced after 6-7 months).

I shall research other brands in anticipation for the New Year sales - Having to 'reset' the device via the button on the bottom on a regular / weekly basis is not good, once in a blue moon on the old 512G was acceptable but having to keep a paper clip in the car for such a reason is not.

If the device is not designed to be fitted and powered via a cigar lighter socket on a 'Stop / Start' vehicle without being hard wired it should be advertised as such, or the device should be designed as such so that the internal battery should be able to take the strain whilst the car is power cycling.

This is clearly not the case and as such I do not recommend this product as the device is, in my opinion not fit for purpose based upon the above. Sadly as stated mine is now out of warranty so I can only hope to try and recoup some of the (what I thought) 'Premium Product' purchase cost on eBay by selling it on.

Any recommendations on a replacement would be much appreciated :)

Thanks,
Andrew

@NextBase Support

Well I have just come back from a drive to the shops and back - I have the ability to disable the Stop / Start feature of the car which I have been using.

Guess what? I go to power the Dash Cam off when I got home and... Yep, still crashing.

I have to say that the lack of any response whatsoever speaks volumes.

Attachments

• 20181216_140905848_iOS.jpg
    20181216_140905848_iOS.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 7
@NextBase Support

Have emailed you directly, as this is beyond a joke now (I did not expect a response on a Sunday to be fair) but people need to know what a poor product this is.

Awaiting a reply.

Hi Andrew,

I am so sorry to hear you're disappointed with the lack of response. Our technical support centre has been extremely busy with the run up to Christmas, we've of course been concentrating on direct contact like calls email and live chat so haven't been on here as much as we would like.

We've got back to your email within a few hours of you sending, fill in the details when you can and we can get this sorted for you.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Andrew,

I am so sorry to hear you're disappointed with the lack of response. Our technical support centre has been extremely busy with the run up to Christmas, we've of course been concentrating on direct contact like calls email and live chat so haven't been on here as much as we would like.

We've got back to your email within a few hours of you sending, fill in the details when you can and we can get this sorted for you.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for the reply to the email, I have replied back with the information requested.

Thanks,
Andrew

@Andrew Clough My personal advice to you is to do what I've done, put it back in the box and get a refund - it's a Mickey Mouse kinda product, the image quality is poor and not worth the 4K stamp on the device...There are better camera out there...

Then suggest one to Andrew. Or perhaps he is happy with the quality, just having perceived battery problems.

Hopefully tomorrow after testing I will have that answer - but one thing I've learnt 4K is not 100% essential, especially if the image is over compressed.

Going to be testing this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07CNCKX42

Get the 750 if you want better low light performance. Fact! Especially if you don't see 4k as essential.
Oh, and don't think you can add a rear cam to a 1CH Blackvue late. You can't.

Cheers for the heads up - I've ordered the 1CH as have a convertible, not easy to mount a rear camera in that.

Brilliant - thank you so much :)

I have received the dashcam back from you today, thanks - I see from the repair report that the battery has been replaced. I will charge this overnight and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew I hope this cures the stop/start problem for you, please let us know and maybe my 6 month old 612GW can be fixed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A 612GW 16
Back