Crazy save on the motorway (Portugal)

I know, so what on earth made him lose control? He was barely going faster than the other clunker cars. I don't think any make or style of tyre is so bad as to be the only cause. Maybe a flat tyre(s). But slicks would not have caused that.
We may not never know the real answer to that question but judging by the way he said "Ah, my slicks... :oops:" when he got back in the car I'd bet it was something like this:
Actually - Racing tires - when they go off - they are horrendously dangerous and slippery ..
And we dont know what speed the racer was doing or how much load was on what corner of the car ..
And if he was running racing slicks that are past their use bye date ... ( ? )

One thing we know for sure is that it wasn't a flat tyre, since he drove off without any problems.

I have seen a car spin out for no apparent reason .. About 20 years ago on the freeway a woman was driving in front of me .
Everyone was doing about 100kmh ( freeway ) and as we got into a bend her car suddenly did a 360deg spin right in front of me .
God must have been watching over us as there was a petrol tanker on my ass and a lot of traffic ..
For the strangest reason her car ended up facing the way she was going and she simply drove on .... Though more slowly ..

It could have gone Balls Up very quickly with a lot of people being possibly cooked by a exploding petrol tanker ...
( Sorry - Thank you God ! )

It could have gone really badly .. ( One of those situations where a cam would have been insane - but it was 20 years ago )

I've had to learn to 'shuffle steer' newer cars as my early driving days where habits set in were mostly in cars with no power steering and whipping the wheel around like that was almost normal driving :p I can't remember which car, but one I had was 5 1/2 turns lock-to-lock :eek:

Phil

Probably a London Black Cab (taxi) Phil, they have a turning circle of only 25 feet.

Probably a London Black Cab (taxi) Phil, they have a turning circle of only 25 feet.
Yet they can instantly go from driving straight, to full-lock U-turning right in front of you. :mad: I wonder if they have normal power steering or if they just have a button they can push to go to full steering lock.

Back